CLA 45 Consultation. *LOOKING FOR ADVICE*
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on CLA 45 Consultation. *LOOKING FOR ADVICE* within the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; Hello everyone, I'm currently in a situation that I can use some consult to. I've been the proud owner of a CLA 45 AMG Polar ...

Thread: CLA 45 Consultation. *LOOKING FOR ADVICE*

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello everyone, I'm currently in a situation that I can use some consult to. I've been the proud
    owner of a CLA 45 AMG Polar Silver-Julie. She started off as an apology present from a desperate
    mom trying to reconnect with her son. Tragically, Julie was abused for the first 5000 miles by its
    first vicious owner-Brian. Julie wasn't warmed up in the cold mornings, she was always immediately
    woken up and taken to haul ass. Her brakes were pushed to the limit on an early 5 am Sunday. Her
    sticky factory Michelin Pilot Sport 3's were always being shredded. Soon after, Her second owner-Bryon, at approximately
    8900 miles, was a no good spoiled rich kid who always wanted to smoke keef. Julie was hot-boxed
    every morning in a cold parking lot, her Ricaro white leather seats had turned into black alcantara. Her
    steering wheel always had sticky green buds hanging, Julie had turned into a drug addict. Then finally
    at 10000 miles, Julie was found by a CLA enthusiast-Ryan. Julie was finally going to be treated fairly,
    Her oil was changed, she had her first service A completed. She was ready to transformed and pushed to her full potential.

And that's where you guys come in.
    Julie currently needs new tires. Her tire size is 235/40/18.
    She has factory Michelin Pilot Sport 3.There are 5% thread on the front tires and 70% thread on the rears. What brand of tires should Julie get? Currently debating between CONTINENTAL
    EXTREMECONTACT DW or DUNLOP SPORT MAXX RT both are max performance summer tires. Also Is it a good idea for Julie to only receive 2 new tires? *new ones will go to the back and the Michelins with 70% thread will go the the front*

Julie also needs new front brake pads, The dealership wants $355. I'm certain that number would be way less if I do it myself. Where can I find the right brake pads needed for Julie? Are OEMS good enough or should Julie get an upgrade?

Julie's Future- After these necessities are completed, It's time to unleash the full potential of Julie. Intake, Stage 1 tuning, and increased throttle response will be a must. She will most likely be attaining her steroids from Tricolore Performance
    A interior/exterior deep detailing is also needed.

I thank ahead for everyone's help, this forum is a very LIT place.

FYI- Julie has had the same owner since its birth, her owner was simply going through different phases of his depressing high school life. Julie is loved by Ryan dearly. Ryan has finally realized the potential of Julie.

Name:  2025884229.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  122.7 KBName:  IMG_0879.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  2.18 MBName:  IMG_0888.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  1.95 MBName:  IMG_0889.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  2.14 MBName:  IMG_0898.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  2.27 MB

This was Julie before her rims were plasti dipped
    Name:  img_1788 (1).jpg
Views: 231
Size:  807.1 KB

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    You will need Dunlop Sport tires, if you choose between those 2. or Pirelli softer but way more grip. I suggest that you will need 4 new tires, this is a 4 wheel drive car, so there should not be much wear difference between front and back.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Torch View Post
    You will need Dunlop Sport tires, if you choose between those 2. or Pirelli softer but way more grip. I suggest that you will need 4 new tires, this is a 4 wheel drive car, so there should not be much wear difference between front and back.
    Unless you rotate regularly the fronts will wear out much faster than the rear tires.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That is also correct !

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    1. Whatever you do, do it soon. 5% tread isn't safe, particularly for anyone who drives with abandon.

2. There is also something to be said for having the same make & model tires all around on a car that's being pushed to its limits.

3. Why not put the new tires on the drive wheels?
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Replace with uniform set of tires and enjoy the ride
    2014 CLA45 AMG (Jupiter Red, Night, Exhaust, Premium, MM, MBTex w/ Recaro Seats, BSA, AMG steering wheel) -
    Ordered Nov 2013; Delivered April 2014. Engine Builder: Sylvio Muller

2012 Subaru Forester
    2010 Volvo XC60
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
    1997 Toyota Camry
    1996 VW Jetta
    1989 Mercedes 560SL
    1986 Mercedes 560SEL
    1983 Mercedes 300D Turbodiesel

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    This is AWD despite FWD bias ... but if the instantaneous grip levels are different between F and R (ie different tires) your electronics are gonna have a fun time working against their factory calibration ... it will think you have differential traction all the time and my guess is it will go nuts?
    But ... what the hell ... try different F and R sets and let us know ... if the system is forgiving enough?

• Sponsored Links