Mercedes CLA Forum banner

1.6 Resonator

11K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  Rick-F 
#1 ·
So I'm thinking of getting rid of my resonator. I know that's the difference between the standard exhaust on the 45 and the performance exhaust.

(I'm aware I won't get the same sound lol)

I've seen a few 250's without their resonator and think they sound quite good.

Do you think I would get a similar sound with the 1.6 180. Or will it just sound too try hard?

Or will I have to replace the muffler as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

#21 ·
So here it goes, and guys correct me if im wrong.
"A resonator is a piece of tubing that is slightly larger in diameter than the rest of the exhaust pipe. It is usually located after the catalytic converter, and before the muffler. Vehicles can have multiple resonators. They also usually have some sort of sound deadening material inside. The name resonator would lead one to believe it makes the exhaust louder, but it is actually there to reduce drone and make a quieter exhaust tone."
haha, nah but really it is just a metal box that keeps the sound down, on the CLA 45 it is not there.

#23 ·
Agree that all the resonator delete videos for the 250 make the car sound cheap and like a Honda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.