2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage

This is a discussion on 2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage within the Mercedes-Benz CLA 220 CDI forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; Seems very odd that Mercedes would not stand by their product (at least here in the US). I know in certain cases where mods or ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seems very odd that Mercedes would not stand by their product (at least here in the US). I know in certain cases where mods or obvious and intentional abuse has occurred they may be less willing to handle the case. But at the very least they will work with you on a fair solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum
    2014 CLA 250 Edition 1
    2014 E 350 4Matic Luxury
    2011 Cayenne Turbo
    1997 993 Turbo
    1972 600 SWB

Notable past MBs: 1979 450 SLC 5.0, 1985 300CD-T, 1986 190 E 2.3-16, 2002 SLK 32 AMG, 2007 S 550, 2007 CL 600, 2012 CLS 550 4Matic LE

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinlan0822 View Post
    does anybody know where i can get an engine? ebay? brand new?
    Car is too new. Doubt you will find another diesel engine from a rear ended car in a small place like Taiwan.
    A lesson for anyone thinking about modifying their new car...
    milazzo likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    Car is too new. Doubt you will find another diesel engine from a rear ended car in a small place like Taiwan.
    A lesson for anyone thinking about modifying their new car...
    Well, not just CLA wrecks but also A series and probably other classes have the 220 CDI; especially over seas.
    Alex

2015 GLA 250 4MATIC, Polar Silver (Premium, Multi-Media, Driver Asst., Bi-Xenon)
    Traded-In: 2014 CLA 250, Polar Silver (Sport, Premium, Multi-Media, Driver Asst., Bi-Xenon, Spoiler)
    2010 GLK 350, Dark Blue

Gone but not forgotten:
    1970 Datsun 240Z

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The MB Taiwan says i have done mods to the dme but they cannot prove anything that its due to the reason of dme that caused the engine to fail. I have installed Racechip Pro2 piggyback. What other info do i need to share here? I just want to fix the car but the MB Taiwan is asking for way too much money. $46,600USD that's a lot more. And a brand new car in the states only worth $39,000USD
    Just looked at the Race Chip web site. I guess this is a company based in Germany. It has obviously gotten in trouble before as the disclaimer pages are long and alarming. It says modifying the car with the chip will immediately void the DMV inspection. It says modifying the car with the chip may void the auto insurance. Most importantly, it says modifying the car with the chip will void all warranties related to the engine and rest of the drive train. It then offers to sell you a Race Chip warranty ! So they are now an insurance company too... The chip only costs 229 EUROs by the way. I am horrified to have heard so many posters said on the forum they are planning to modify their cars with a performance enhancing "CHIP." And many sworn it doesn't affect the warranty.
    Just a thought for you Kevin. I am assuming you were paid to do the modification. Instead of advising you to close up shop, change your phone number and move out of town, how about call the guys in Germany and see if they can offer something. After all, their reputation is on the line big time too.
    Sue Esponte and Tiny Teuton like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I understand this is a big problem in Scotland too.........PISSED an' BROKE
    onshow likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The MB Taiwan says i have done mods to the dme but they cannot prove anything that its due to the reason of dme that caused the engine to fail. I have installed Racechip Pro2 piggyback. What other info do i need to share here? I just want to fix the car but the MB Taiwan is asking for way too much money. $46,600USD that's a lot more. And a brand new car in the states only worth $39,000USD
    Lesson learned the hard way bud. This is why you shouldn't mod a newer car, your race chip melted your engine due to high EGT's. This is not MB fault. You need to do your research before you buy these tuner chips and see how reliable they are.

Sorry for your situation!
    milazzo, Kalps and Musician like this.
    2014 CLA45 AMG on order

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is there a website where you could check for CLA250 or CLA220 part numbers and etc? Like EPC? for free? I just need the part numbers so I can make sure that I'm ordering the right stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by AMG Boost View Post
    Lesson learned the hard way bud. This is why you shouldn't mod a newer car, your race chip melted your engine due to high EGT's. This is not MB fault. You need to do your research before you buy these tuner chips and see how reliable they are.

Sorry for your situation!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is there a website where you could check for CLA250 or CLA220 part numbers and etc? Like EPC? for free? I just need the part numbers so I can make sure that I'm ordering the right stuff
    From the looks of things, you probably would want a complete short block. Should come with everything you'd want.
    ( Sorry, I don't know about a parts number web site).

Sent from my iPad using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app
    Alex

2015 GLA 250 4MATIC, Polar Silver (Premium, Multi-Media, Driver Asst., Bi-Xenon)
    Traded-In: 2014 CLA 250, Polar Silver (Sport, Premium, Multi-Media, Driver Asst., Bi-Xenon, Spoiler)
    2010 GLK 350, Dark Blue

Gone but not forgotten:
    1970 Datsun 240Z

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No mods for my car after reading this horror story . I know two guys who chipped their Golf R's from ordinary tuners and their cars spent more time on the back of a truck . I'm happy with the performance of my car . All I can say is sorry to hear the bad news and good luck with sorting this one out .

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Kevin,

I'm really sorry to hear this story! Have you reached out to Race Chip? If so, what did they say?

-Eric
    You can follow me (and my obsession with cars) on

• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links