2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage

This is a discussion on 2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage within the Mercedes-Benz CLA 220 CDI forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; Originally Posted by CLA1988 I was gonna order the BRABUS chip ... guess this is food for thought ... What you think guys ? Um, ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage

NYR
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLA1988 View Post
    I was gonna order the BRABUS chip ... guess this is food for thought ... What you think guys ?
    Um, don't? Do you really think that minor bounce is worth THIS risk? Don't do it - enjoy the car for what it is.
    CLA 45 AMG Edition 1 // Calcite White
    Ordered - Jan 2014 // Delivery - June 2014

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR View Post
    Um, don't? Do you really think that minor bounce is worth THIS risk? Don't do it - enjoy the car for what it is.
    The Brabus chip (if installed by a MB dealership) doesn't invalidate your warranty and therefore, since its a MB product, being fitted by MB, i wouldn't expect engines to go pop like it did for this person using an aftermarket non MB map / chip.
    CLA 220CDI AMG Sport (ordered 26/10/13, picked up 01/03/14)

Options:
    Mountain Grey, Harman Kardon 7.1 Surround Sound, Becker Sat Nav

Other Car: 1997 Range Rover P38 4.6 V8 (Wife's)

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Personally I have never modded or had a car modded. If you want more horses, more torques, more noise, dump valves etc then get the right car for the job. There is no way that MB can be at fault here but to prove that the engine would have expired without the chip installation would be impossible without a time machine. Saying that a time machine might be cheaper than the repair costs assuming that such a thing exists

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just emailed brabus about their chips, although they are around 2k dollars which is a shit loads of money, they tell me that they work threw mercedes benz germany and the warranty will still be viable if something had to happen. I paste the email:

Hello Matt,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to earn your business.

"BRABUS products are all support and back by MB in Germany. All BRABUS ECU comes with a 4 year 100,000 mile warranty. So in essence, you can't find a better ECU than this. BRABUS stand behind their products more than any manufactures in the industry"

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We have a dealer in singapore. Quoted me S$3800. Brabus required ur ecu id to program the chip. It will b unique to ur car only

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app
    Want to be semi retired ? Fund investment dividends return 3%-8% monthly. http://fb.mxfx.biz

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He didnt ask for mine, just plug and play he quoted mine for 2.5k

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well... this is tragic. I "tuned" a car once with a chip. Throttle body needed to be replaced 3-months later. Cause and effect? Unknown. Took the tune off (was just a ECU reflash unit), took it to the dealer, they replaced the TB, I never put that crap back on and didn't miss it, considering I can't get past 75 without worrying about being pulled over anyway.
    Rainmann86 and vracer like this.
    Traded-in at 8,500 miles: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250

My poor experience is on the forum. Good riddance. MB's attempt for my generation: failed with me.

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lcheater View Post
    The Brabus chip (if installed by a MB dealership) doesn't invalidate your warranty and therefore, since its a MB product, being fitted by MB, i wouldn't expect engines to go pop like it did for this person using an aftermarket non MB map / chip.
    I can't speak for the UK but buyers in the US should take heed that this statement does NOT apply here.

-Eric

Member #
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Yes, MB cars sold in the US are warranted through MB USA and there is no international warranty. I would assume if you transported your MB to Europe, for whateve reason, I would hope the warranty would be in effect and MB would work with MB USA to resolve.

Thank you for posting this horror story. Yes I am new to the site and it places in writing what I suspected. I hope everyone that is considering a chip or re-flash will read this before hand and then it is buyer beware. I did read last night that Ford is now offering to install chip/re-flash on certain engines, including the 2.0 turbo through Ford Racing Performance Products and there is a warranty. However the power train goes from 5/50 to 3/36,000 miles. But that is still pretty good and shows they have faith in the product.

I think another indicator the CLA 250 is not meant for speed is the standard H rated tires. If the car were designed for more I would think they would have provided a better and higher speed rating tire.

Again, thank you for this thread. It truly is an eye opener and I was unaware of this thread. Have we heard more from Kevin?

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage

Quote Originally Posted by 07SGT View Post
    Yes, MB cars sold in the US are warranted through MB USA and there is no international warranty. I would assume if you transported your MB to Europe, for whateve reason, I would hope the warranty would be in effect and MB would work with MB USA to resolve.

Thank you for posting this horror story. Yes I am new to the site and it places in writing what I suspected. I hope everyone that is considering a chip or re-flash will read this before hand and then it is buyer beware. I did read last night that Ford is now offering to install chip/re-flash on certain engines, including the 2.0 turbo through Ford Racing Performance Products and there is a warranty. However the power train goes from 5/50 to 3/36,000 miles. But that is still pretty good and shows they have faith in the product.

I think another indicator the CLA 250 is not meant for speed is the standard H rated tires. If the car were designed for more I would think they would have provided a better and higher speed rating tire.

Again, thank you for this thread. It truly is an eye opener and I was unaware of this thread. Have we heard more from Kevin?
    This is a veeeeeerrrry old thread and, unfortunately, I'm starting to doubt this story. If you follow the other threads that the OP was involved in, you'll note that most of their responses are spam-ish. Plausible story but dubious in light of other behavior, IMHO. I'm not sure if there was an ulterior motive or if it was just a kid pranking but whatever. If it serves to remind someone of the potential risks of modding then there's nothing wrong with that.

-Eric
    outsider likes this.
    You can follow me (and my obsession with cars) on

• Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links