2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage

This is a discussion on 2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage within the Mercedes-Benz CLA 220 CDI forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; Originally Posted by CLA1988 I was gonna order the BRABUS chip ... guess this is food for thought ... What you think guys ? Um, ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 50 of 50
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage

  1. #41
    NYR
    NYR is offline
    Regular NYR's Avatar
    Member #
    4955
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    245
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLA1988 View Post
    I was gonna order the BRABUS chip ... guess this is food for thought ... What you think guys ?
    Um, don't? Do you really think that minor bounce is worth THIS risk? Don't do it - enjoy the car for what it is.
    CLA 45 AMG Edition 1 // Calcite White
    Ordered - Jan 2014 // Delivery - June 2014

  • #42
    Friend lcheater's Avatar
    Member #
    3260
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR View Post
    Um, don't? Do you really think that minor bounce is worth THIS risk? Don't do it - enjoy the car for what it is.
    The Brabus chip (if installed by a MB dealership) doesn't invalidate your warranty and therefore, since its a MB product, being fitted by MB, i wouldn't expect engines to go pop like it did for this person using an aftermarket non MB map / chip.
    CLA 220CDI AMG Sport (ordered 26/10/13, picked up 01/03/14)

    Options:
    Mountain Grey, Harman Kardon 7.1 Surround Sound, Becker Sat Nav

    Other Car: 1997 Range Rover P38 4.6 V8 (Wife's)

  • #43
    Regular MrCLA220UK's Avatar
    Member #
    2135
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Personally I have never modded or had a car modded. If you want more horses, more torques, more noise, dump valves etc then get the right car for the job. There is no way that MB can be at fault here but to prove that the engine would have expired without the chip installation would be impossible without a time machine. Saying that a time machine might be cheaper than the repair costs assuming that such a thing exists

  • #44
    Regular CLA1988's Avatar
    Member #
    5035
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just emailed brabus about their chips, although they are around 2k dollars which is a shit loads of money, they tell me that they work threw mercedes benz germany and the warranty will still be viable if something had to happen. I paste the email:

    Hello Matt,



    Thank you for giving us the opportunity to earn your business.



    "BRABUS products are all support and back by MB in Germany. All BRABUS ECU comes with a 4 year 100,000 mile warranty. So in essence, you can't find a better ECU than this. BRABUS stand behind their products more than any manufactures in the industry"

  • #45
    Newbie spyder79's Avatar
    Member #
    5302
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We have a dealer in singapore. Quoted me S$3800. Brabus required ur ecu id to program the chip. It will b unique to ur car only

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app
    Want to be semi retired ? Fund investment dividends return 3%-8% monthly. http://fb.mxfx.biz

  • #46
    Regular CLA1988's Avatar
    Member #
    5035
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He didnt ask for mine, just plug and play he quoted mine for 2.5k

  • #47
    Regular sirboom's Avatar
    Member #
    4842
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    'murica
    Posts
    479
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well... this is tragic. I "tuned" a car once with a chip. Throttle body needed to be replaced 3-months later. Cause and effect? Unknown. Took the tune off (was just a ECU reflash unit), took it to the dealer, they replaced the TB, I never put that crap back on and didn't miss it, considering I can't get past 75 without worrying about being pulled over anyway.
    Rainmann86 and vracer like this.
    Traded-in at 8,500 miles: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250

    My poor experience is on the forum. Good riddance. MB's attempt for my generation: failed with me.

  • #48
    Super Moderator Sue Esponte's Avatar
    Member #
    865
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,955
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lcheater View Post
    The Brabus chip (if installed by a MB dealership) doesn't invalidate your warranty and therefore, since its a MB product, being fitted by MB, i wouldn't expect engines to go pop like it did for this person using an aftermarket non MB map / chip.
    I can't speak for the UK but buyers in the US should take heed that this statement does NOT apply here.

    -Eric

  • #49
    Pro 07SGT's Avatar
    Member #
    8896
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,766
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Yes, MB cars sold in the US are warranted through MB USA and there is no international warranty. I would assume if you transported your MB to Europe, for whateve reason, I would hope the warranty would be in effect and MB would work with MB USA to resolve.

    Thank you for posting this horror story. Yes I am new to the site and it places in writing what I suspected. I hope everyone that is considering a chip or re-flash will read this before hand and then it is buyer beware. I did read last night that Ford is now offering to install chip/re-flash on certain engines, including the 2.0 turbo through Ford Racing Performance Products and there is a warranty. However the power train goes from 5/50 to 3/36,000 miles. But that is still pretty good and shows they have faith in the product.

    I think another indicator the CLA 250 is not meant for speed is the standard H rated tires. If the car were designed for more I would think they would have provided a better and higher speed rating tire.

    Again, thank you for this thread. It truly is an eye opener and I was unaware of this thread. Have we heard more from Kevin?

  • #50
    Super Moderator Sue Esponte's Avatar
    Member #
    865
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    3,955
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    2013 CLA220 cdi is BROKEN already. Engine broke down. with only 3000km mileage

    Quote Originally Posted by 07SGT View Post
    Yes, MB cars sold in the US are warranted through MB USA and there is no international warranty. I would assume if you transported your MB to Europe, for whateve reason, I would hope the warranty would be in effect and MB would work with MB USA to resolve.

    Thank you for posting this horror story. Yes I am new to the site and it places in writing what I suspected. I hope everyone that is considering a chip or re-flash will read this before hand and then it is buyer beware. I did read last night that Ford is now offering to install chip/re-flash on certain engines, including the 2.0 turbo through Ford Racing Performance Products and there is a warranty. However the power train goes from 5/50 to 3/36,000 miles. But that is still pretty good and shows they have faith in the product.

    I think another indicator the CLA 250 is not meant for speed is the standard H rated tires. If the car were designed for more I would think they would have provided a better and higher speed rating tire.

    Again, thank you for this thread. It truly is an eye opener and I was unaware of this thread. Have we heard more from Kevin?
    This is a veeeeeerrrry old thread and, unfortunately, I'm starting to doubt this story. If you follow the other threads that the OP was involved in, you'll note that most of their responses are spam-ish. Plausible story but dubious in light of other behavior, IMHO. I'm not sure if there was an ulterior motive or if it was just a kid pranking but whatever. If it serves to remind someone of the potential risks of modding then there's nothing wrong with that.

    -Eric
    outsider likes this.
    You can follow me (and my obsession with cars) on

  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Similar Threads

    1. Broken Glove Box Compartment
      By vic_sant in forum CLA Maintenance / Care / Detailing
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 11-25-2013, 07:41 AM
    2. Replies: 2
      Last Post: 11-09-2013, 01:24 PM
    3. Just ordered my new CLA220 AMG!
      By Lapchien in forum Mercedes-Benz CLA 220 CDI
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 08-25-2013, 06:00 AM
    4. mobile app broken maybe?
      By C45 in forum Introductions
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 05-08-2013, 11:23 AM
    5. Replies: 16
      Last Post: 04-08-2013, 12:55 PM

    Search tags for this page

    brokedown mercedes

    ,

    cla220

    ,

    epc cla45 mod

    ,

    mercedes benz 2013 mileage forum

    ,

    mercedes benz transmission broke down in 7 years

    ,

    mercedes cdi broke down

    ,

    mercedes cla 220cdi chip upgrade

    ,

    mercedes engines manufacturer

    ,

    racechip cla45 engine hesitation

    ,

    why mercedes benz is broken down

    Click on a term to search for related topics.
    About Us
    We are a community dedicated to the all new Mercedes-Benz CLA & CLA45 AMG. We offer Benz CLA Pictures, Aftermarket Accessory discussion, Questions and Answers and much more from CLA Owners across the world. Thank you for visiting the best CLA Forum on the Internet.
    Join us
    Register
    If you woud like to join our community simply click the following registration link: Register @ MercedesCLA.org