Quality issues - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Quality issues

This is a discussion on Quality issues within the Mercedes-Benz CLA 220 CDI forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; I was told fog lights were not necessary with the bi-xenons due to the inclusion of LED DRL's. They are very bright and I can ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Quality issues

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quality issues

I was told fog lights were not necessary with the bi-xenons due to the inclusion of LED DRL's. They are very bright and I can only assume directed on the road where traditional dogs are.

With regard to build quality generally in my 220 CDI AMG sport it's not the best, not as good as the equivalent priced Audi in my opinion.

Performance wise I thought the 220 or at least mine performs well and is much smoother and quieter than a BMW 3 series diesel engined car. I celtics you get used to/ adapt to the transmission/ engine lag and as others have said, put it in sports mode and it changes the driving experience a fair bit.
    Last edited by MrCLA220UK; 03-05-2014 at 03:57 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have checked and I don't have a centre armrest (as expected) and there is AMG branding on the rim of my wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum
    CLA 220CDI AMG Sport (ordered 26/10/13, picked up 01/03/14)

Options:
    Mountain Grey, Harman Kardon 7.1 Surround Sound, Becker Sat Nav

Other Car: 1997 Range Rover P38 4.6 V8 (Wife's)

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've got a rattling noise coming from the passenger drivers door when i have my music playing at medium volume and above. Its going in next week to be looked at.

I am REALLY struggling to tolerate the auto gearbox! On all previous automatics i have driven when you let your foot off the brake it rolls forwards and you can achieve a speed which enables you to travel in traffic without needing to touch the throttle. However, 1st gear seems to really hold you back from travelling more than about 2mph! Then you put your foot on the throttle to speed up a bit and its really jerky! Also, if you are coasting and then want to speed up, the gearbox takes a while to decide what gear it needs to be in and then almost clunks into gear and off you go (very much like when you pull away from a standstill). Ive also noticed that in eco mode at least, the gearbox doesn't actively down-shift to the gear it thinks you are most to need for the speed you are doing. It just wants to keep you in the highest gear possible (which is fair enough being in eco mode, but at least downshift when you slow down!). Sport mode doesn't change the initial throttle response (from a standstill).

Options:

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here is an update on the issues with my car:

I have another thread in the General Discussion area about the behaviour of the brake lights when the "hold" feature is enabled (see the thread, link below, for further details) "HOLD" Feature

The dealer has looked at this and agrees the brake light should stay on all the time it is in "hold". They have investigated the issue and found the "SAM" module is faulty and needs replacing. So i am waiting for a call to book it back in with them to have it replaced. This is a 2 week old car with less than 600 miles on it - actually, this problem could have been there from the beginning, but i have only recently started using the feature and noticed the reflection of the brake light.

The car primarily went into the dealership to have an annoying rattle in the passenger door fixed when music is playing. Well they kept me waiting for an hour when turning up to pick it up (after having the car for 24 hours). I got in immediately put the music on and the rattle was still there, but much worse! Apparently the car had been road tested twice with a technician sat in the back listening for rattles and one in the passenger seat listening. Well i think they must have been deaf! It is the most frustrating thing when they tell you something is fixed and its not!

So i am now waiting for them to call me to say the new SAM module is in, at which point they will look at the rattle again!

Options:

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quality issues, the list on my car is growing;

1 Collision assist warning light and beeps but no apparent hazard and break assist activated.

2 Drivers seat belt mechanism rattling/ clicking above drivers right ear.

3 Intermittent noises coming from the sunroof.

4 Intermittent noises coming from the steering column

5 Squeaking noises coming from the engine when cold (like a loose drive belt)

6 Parking sensor failure/ not operable with no warning messages, appeared to reset on restart

7 Park assist failure on occasions with message stating system not available.

8 Fuel gauge showing low fuel incorrectly and no countdown just red icon even with over 2 gallons/ 9.8 litres remaining

9 Fuel gauge moved from low fuel to okay after restart.

It is the rattles I really did not expect from as Mercedes Benz....

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCLA220UK View Post
    Quality issues, the list on my car is growing;

1 Collision assist warning light and beeps but no apparent hazard and break assist activated.

2 Drivers seat belt mechanism rattling/ clicking above drivers right ear.

3 Intermittent noises coming from the sunroof.

4 Intermittent noises coming from the steering column

5 Squeaking noises coming from the engine when cold (like a loose drive belt)

6 Parking sensor failure/ not operable with no warning messages, appeared to reset on restart

7 Park assist failure on occasions with message stating system not available.

8 Fuel gauge showing low fuel incorrectly and no countdown just red icon even with over 2 gallons/ 9.8 litres remaining

9 Fuel gauge moved from low fuel to okay after restart.

It is the rattles I really did not expect from as Mercedes Benz....
    Sorry to hear of all your issues; ive not experienced any of those on mine, apart from your last point about rattles (and mine is only a rattle when music is playing). How old is your car and whats the mileage?

Options:

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Car is a CDI 220 and was a showroom car. I guess built in February 2013 purchased in July 2013. I was about to out down a deposit and order a factory build. I asked if the car was exactly the same as a factory build and was told it was. I have later discovered that this is far from the truth and I am now considering legal action against the supplying dealer and MB. The supplying dealer have been more than useless and frankly unprofessional and ignorant. They do not appear to know the product they are selling.

What is a shame is, is that I really like the car. I have had many cars from most manufactures and the CLA is my first Mercedes Benz.

I would still recommend the car assuming that is that the newer build cars are better out together. I know for a fact the newer Comand Online introduced circa July 2013 is more up to date. That said it is still a waste of money option in my opinion.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Only 1 attempt at fixing the rattles. Mine went in six separate times.

Gl!

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    eskiisbest, six times to fix rattles, I assume now fixed? where were the rattles? This is so I can tackle mine, if any, when the car arrives in next couple of months. Thanks. Are you happy with car otherwise?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

So was a strange one as it seemed to be in a different place depending on the weather. First was an electric hum instead of a rattle which was behind the screen and the air vents below. The second was behind the steering wheel. The last time it went in the guy from service said he had never seen a car in so many pieces! But after the tightened and tied everything up it seems to be fixed. Gonna give it another week before confirming.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links