Quality issues
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Quality issues

This is a discussion on Quality issues within the Mercedes-Benz CLA 220 CDI forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; Moving from an Alfa Romeo 159 TBi Ti spec .... Received my new CLA CDi 220 AMG yesterday (6m wait) - so far I note ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Quality issues

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quality issues

Moving from an Alfa Romeo 159 TBi Ti spec .... Received my new CLA CDi 220 AMG yesterday (6m wait) - so far I note that the diesel Merc lacks the torque of my previous petrol Alfa!!?
    Headlamps are all steamed up - ruins the look of the running lights but handbook says that is normal.
    Knob to adjust dashboard illumination is of exceptionally low quality
    Overall lacks build quality of the hugely under rated Alfa 159 Ti in my initial impressions anyway.
    If you invoke the fuel consumption level you don't see outside temp - but even here in the UK you see permanent KM/h info - what utter nonsense

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

Sorry to hear about your issues, I must admit I haven't noticed the illumination dial but I see notice the torque which is why I went for the brabus chip. Makes the car what it should if been out if the factory.

I had nothing but problems with dash rattles since my pick up on the 1st sept. Do you experience any of these? Mob have had the car 3 months total trying to sort them.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Had it out again today - I really hope that this car grows on me ... I did the test drive in CDi 220 6 months ago and cannot recall the strange engine noise (when under some acceleration) ...My wife compares it to the the sound of the karts on my 13 year old daughter's Playstation game. Opinion so far is that is over-rated, lacks performance and trails what I had got used to in my last two Alfa Romeos in terms of build quality. There is a rattle somewhere from the rear, and a piece of trim not best fitted in the front. Car looks good, overall. I think I may have been sucked into style over substance. An Alfa man in a Merc was always going to be an adjustment, but I thought I was moving along if not up the quality curve - not down!! With more cost!

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Well it is a CDI 220... Can't really expect much performance wise cause well it wasn't build for performance at all. It was build only for fuel economy. As for the weird noise I think it's just a common noise in a diesel since my dads VW diesel sounds extremely weird for me. Although get it checked out at a dealership just incase. Also this is a baby benz cheapest of the cheap when it comes to Benz. Can't expect it to be perfect etc. Plus with the high demand of the car and production having to go extremely fast they'll be some issues with it. So just get it checked out at a dealership. Hopefully they can fix some if not all of those issues.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Be worth flipping it into S mode as well. It's caught a few people out when discussing performance.

Cheers

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by inizi View Post
    Moving from an Alfa Romeo 159 TBi Ti spec .... Received my new CLA CDi 220 AMG yesterday (6m wait) - so far I note that the diesel Merc lacks the torque of my previous petrol Alfa!!?
    Headlamps are all steamed up - ruins the look of the running lights but handbook says that is normal.
    Knob to adjust dashboard illumination is of exceptionally low quality
    Overall lacks build quality of the hugely under rated Alfa 159 Ti in my initial impressions anyway.
    If you invoke the fuel consumption level you don't see outside temp - but even here in the UK you see permanent KM/h info - what utter nonsense
    I also picked my CLA 220 CDI AMG Sport up on Saturday morning. I can relate to a couple of your concerns; the knob to adjust the dash brightness does indeed feel low quality and loose. I also don't like the KM/h permanently displayed alongside the clock; i think the outside temp would be better suited in that spot (which would fix the issue of not seeing it if you look at fuel consumption).

I am with you on the noise; it is a bit loud, i noticed it was especially loud this morning when i started it.

My headlamps haven't steamed up yet, but i have noted that the manual does say this is normal - not normally seen in headlights unless they have a leak!

One of the most noticeable things i am struggling to tolerate / acclimatise myself to is the gearbox. I don't know if your car does it, but when i pull away from a standstill it feels as if the gearbox is struggling to get clutch control and there's a delay (as if its slipping) before you actually feel it bite and accelerate. I find it strange how you can be in 6th gear doing 30mph too! I haven't put my foot down in it yet; in fact I've barely gone past moderate acceleration as i want to run it in a bit (even if its not needed).

I'm a BMW man and my last BMW (which i traded in to get the CLA) was a 730d; which, in terms of comfort, space and refinement is pretty difficult to beat, even though it was knocking on for 11 years old. Overall, i know i have effectively downgraded my car but i had nothing but problems with my 730d (mainly due to it's age and neglected life before i took ownership) and after having a couple of massive bills and had pretty much nothing to show for it, i decided to go down the brand new route; the CLA sold itself to me on looks alone; which i think is what happened to you by the sounds of it too. Im not saying im regretting buying it, im just saying that i think there are probably better refined cars out there for the same money (Jaguar XF, Audi A4, BMW 3 series). However, what you dont get with all the other manufacturers is the looks, and so far, the rarity of the CLA; only 15 were registered for a March 1st delivery at my dealership!
    CLA 220CDI AMG Sport (ordered 26/10/13, picked up 01/03/14)

Options:
    Mountain Grey, Harman Kardon 7.1 Surround Sound, Becker Sat Nav

Other Car: 1997 Range Rover P38 4.6 V8 (Wife's)

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by lcheater View Post
    I also picked my CLA 220 CDI AMG Sport up on Saturday morning. I can relate to a couple of your concerns; the knob to adjust the dash brightness does indeed feel low quality and loose. I also don't like the KM/h permanently displayed alongside the clock; i think the outside temp would be better suited in that spot (which would fix the issue of not seeing it if you look at fuel consumption).

I am with you on the noise; it is a bit loud, i noticed it was especially loud this morning when i started it.

My headlamps haven't steamed up yet, but i have noted that the manual does say this is normal - not normally seen in headlights unless they have a leak!

One of the most noticeable things i am struggling to tolerate / acclimatise myself to is the gearbox. I don't know if your car does it, but when i pull away from a standstill it feels as if the gearbox is struggling to get clutch control and there's a delay (as if its slipping) before you actually feel it bite and accelerate. I find it strange how you can be in 6th gear doing 30mph too! I haven't put my foot down in it yet; in fact I've barely gone past moderate acceleration as i want to run it in a bit (even if its not needed).

I'm a BMW man and my last BMW (which i traded in to get the CLA) was a 730d; which, in terms of comfort, space and refinement is pretty difficult to beat, even though it was knocking on for 11 years old. Overall, i know i have effectively downgraded my car but i had nothing but problems with my 730d (mainly due to it's age and neglected life before i took ownership) and after having a couple of massive bills and had pretty much nothing to show for it, i decided to go down the brand new route; the CLA sold itself to me on looks alone; which i think is what happened to you by the sounds of it too. Im not saying im regretting buying it, im just saying that i think there are probably better refined cars out there for the same money (Jaguar XF, Audi A4, BMW 3 series). However, what you dont get with all the other manufacturers is the looks, and so far, the rarity of the CLA; only 15 were registered for a March 1st delivery at my dealership!
    I agree that the looks and rarity are the factors that we have to bear In mind whilst learning to live with the less pleasant surprises.
    I dropped my wife at a school reunion on Sat eve and heads were turning - I've not seen that since I rolled up 8 years ago in my then brand new Alfa Romeo GT coupe ( a gorgeous car in French blue) and refined and responsive for a 1.9TD.
    My Alfa 159 Turbo Benzina in full Ti spec and 19" rims turned heads too 4 years into ownership. I drove it on the last say I had. It from Birkenhead to London (45k miles) and not a rattle or squeak!
    The CLA shall be going back with sub 200 miles to have its two rattles found and dealt with.
    Cannot reconcile (against my recollection of the test car I was given 6m ago by MB):
    1) the noise on start up is alarming - this is a MB - in 2014 - no modern diesel should sound like that in the cabin
    2) the laziness of the transmission to take up the drive and deliver it to the wheels is something that will take getting used to - my wife's Nissan Juke Nismo has a fully auto box and no such delays. But I guess it is CVT as opposed to dual clutch.
    3) the random red warning triangles and audible warning are a source of amusement for my teenage daughters. These occur when there are no cars in front or alongside us !!

I am locked into a 4 year lease (company car) so I am going to have to get over the quality downgrade from the Alfa (the MB seats aren't even real leather!) and just get used to it. It better deliver on the fuel economy. At least the low emissions shall keep the tax bill a little lower.
    MB have got the design / looks right and released the prestigiousness of the marque down onto this smaller car. These aspects are reflected in the price. The rest is, in my opinion at this early stage, mediocre to disappointing. I blame Fiat group / Alfa Romeo and Chrysler. If they had got their merger sorted out earlier the replacement for the 159 would have been out and I could have avoided this :-) Anyway, it will grow on me and you get used to things.
    I genuinely hope to writing positive updates and observations here in the coming months.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've noticed one of my HK speakers is crackling at higher volumes, so that will be going back to be replaced! No rattles yet though and mine has just gone past 200 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

Options:

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh, my headlamps are now misted up too!

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum

Options:

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys,

There is supposedly a mb fix for the speaker rattle I've not had it myself but read it somewhere?

Can I ask where the two rattles are coming from? Gl getting them fixed I picked mine up sept first and it's still not sorted.

In regards to the clutch I semi agree but the car is completely different in e and a mode especially from a standing start.

What type of mpg are you getting? I was getting 49 now 58 with the brabus chip.

Cheers

• Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links