TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels! - Page 14
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels!

This is a discussion on TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels! within the CLA Performance forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by tmwei396 Really? I didn't realize it was that low. My last car lasted me 10 years and 274,000 miles before I sold ...

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels!

Member #
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwei396 View Post
    Really? I didn't realize it was that low. My last car lasted me 10 years and 274,000 miles before I sold it and I had a 1994 truck that lasted 14 years and 285,000 miles before I sold that. So I guess I just assumed 200,000 would be the norm considering modern engines now are much more advanced with more sensors, safety precautions and warning systems in place. Oh well, I didn't expect my CLA to be a daily driver anyway as I have another vehicle to do that.
    Tony, what brand truck and what kind of problems/repairs did you have with those trucks?

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 07SGT View Post
    Tony, what brand truck and what kind of problems/repairs did you have with those trucks?
    It was a 1994 Toyota Pickup with V6 4x4 5-speed manual Xtra Cab. Somehow I got a California model with the extra 02 sensor and it was a PITA to get my exhaust system replaced. Aside from having to get my exhaust system custom fitted I had literally no issues with it. Granted, I kept up with routine maintenance and I did most of the consumable replacements myself like shocks, oil and filter, plugs and wires, ignition, etc. The only reason why I sold it was the cooling system developed a leak in one of the hoses very close to the firewall. It was too tight of a fit for me to reach for hose replacement and i didn't want to spend the necessary $$ to take it to the shop because it had nearly 300,000 miles on it so I just decided to sell it. I sold it within 24 hours of placing the ad and I've regretted ever since. I really loved that truck and I still miss it today. That thing was my daily driver for about 11 or the 14 years I had it and survived weekend trips to Vermont every weekend during skiing season as we had a ski house in Killington, VT. I never got stuck despite the ice, snow, and slush and I've even pulled out a couple of my housemates with their 4x4s who got stuck.
    Last edited by tmwei396; 05-22-2016 at 06:16 PM.
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander, TurboKits Billet BOV spacer,
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

@tmwei396 re: your 1994 truck -- wow! 😊

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    @tmwei396 re: your 1994 truck -- wow! 
    Yup. People don't believe me but despite the mileage and replacement of part it still had a lot of original parts from the factory like starter motor, alternator, radiator, fuel pump, etc. Of course the belts and water pump were replaced countless times but I consider those consumables like brake pads and stuff. I guess that was another reason why I decided to sell it. I was thinking all those things are about to go because there's no way they can last more than 300,000 miles. If you want to see it you'll have to search for the 1999 Cannondale catalogue and look for it. Hint: I'm leaning against it sitting on a red Cannondale :-). The guy I sold it to used to send me emails thanking me for selling it to him and would include pictures of all the mods he did to it. I kept it stock. As far as I know they guy is still driving it.
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander, TurboKits Billet BOV spacer,
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Those older T 4x4s were tough ...

Member #
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tony, amazing. I hope to get at least half of what you experienced with the CLA. If I get 10 years and 150,000 miles with minimal replacement parts I will be happy. I guess I am somewhat surprised you did not stick with Toyota or Lexus considering the excellent results you had with your truck(s).

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 07SGT View Post
    Tony, amazing. I hope to get at least half of what you experienced with the CLA. If I get 10 years and 150,000 miles with minimal replacement parts I will be happy. I guess I am somewhat surprised you did not stick with Toyota or Lexus considering the excellent results you had with your truck(s).
    If my main criteria was reliability and longevity then I would probably ended up with a Lexus or Acura and I've actually considered them before I got the CLA but that wasn't what I was after. At the time I got my CLA I already had a very reliable Accord to use as my daily driver so for my "second" or "weekend" car I went for looks and fun factor. As nice as the Acura and Lexus are, they're just no comparison to the CLA in terms of looks in my opinion. Also, I'm the type who like to try different brands. Of all the different brands of cars I've owned Toyota and Mazda are the only two that I've returned to so far. My first Toyota was a 1987 Celica GT-S. The pickup was my second and my wife's RAV4 V6 AWD is our third Toyota. She also drove a Mazda Protege5 and now I have a Mazda 3s as my daily driver. I sample other makes not because I didn't like them the previous brands I've owned. I'm just not the type to only sticks to one brand. There are plenty of great cars out there so I didn't see why I should limit myself to one or two brands. Unless the car manufacturers practice customer loyalty (huge discounts for returning customers), I don't practice brand loyalty unless I have a really good reason and right now I don't. Mercedes won't be any different. I know MB's goal for the CLA in the NA market is to get customers in to their brand and hope to keep them. Well, let's see what they'll do to keep me. I'm a dealer's nightmare. I tell them straight to their face how I feel and I don't bend. My last car purchase (Mazda 3) was a classic example. After I test drove a couple of cars and decided on the model I wanted I tell them straight up my price. I do my research and offer up a fair price and I don't low ball to a point where they don't make any money. I get it, they're a business and they need to keep the lights on. So I tell the sales associate my price and it's take it or leave it. So I tell him my price and he goes to his manager with it. He comes back with the sales manager and manager sits down and starts the BS that I've heard many times before. So in the middle of his BS I cut him off and asked if he'll take my price. Yes or No. He gave me some BS about how the price was too low so I stood up, thanked the sales associate for his time, and left. This was on a Saturday. Come Monday I get a call from the sales associate and he said that the general manager accepted my offer. They way I approach car buying is the same way I approach job hunting.. the best time to do it is when you don't need it. Meaning you're willing and able to walk away. I've walked away from job offers and dealerships, including Toyota and when the time comes if and when I don't like the terms I'll do the same with Mercedes. I walk away. Give them a week to think about my offer. If they accept, great. If not, I move on to another dealer... either of the same brand or a competing brand. Oh, and I have no problems telling them that, too. They probably curse me out before the door even closes behind me but I don't care. If they want my business they'll have to work for it. But if they treat me right I will return the favor and be their best spokesman. I know this is a long winded answer to why I didn't buy another Toyota or Lexus but once I get going I just can't stop.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    @tmwei396 - right on brother! And speaking of Celicas ... the last of the gen1 was the 1977 liftback and my bud had the canary yellow with black louvres etc ... lovely specimen

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    ... the last of the gen1 was the 1977 liftback and my bud had the canary yellow with black louvres etc ... lovely specimen
    Oh I know them well. As a kid that's what attracted me to Toyotas. Our neighbor had one and everyday walking to school I would see it in his driveway and I just fell in love with it. So when I finally got my license my Dad asked me what car I wanted I said a Toyota. I knew he wouldn't get me a Celica but at that time any Toyota would do. He tried to talk me out of it because he was strictly a Big 3 kind of guy. Only American cars. He's had cars from all of the big 3. I saw all the problems he had with them and I knew I didn't want that. Long story short, after seeing how well my little foreign car did, his very next car was a Lexus, then a MB E-Class. I eventually inherited both but I sold the E-Class because that car wasn't me. It was a nice car but I'm not a big sedan kind of person. I kept the Lexus because it was so old (1990) that nobody would buy it. I kept it as a beater.
    Last edited by tmwei396; 05-24-2016 at 12:43 PM.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Oh the Lexus beater ... thats funny 😝
    Well there is this older dude in town who does use his old rolls silver shadow as his dump car for grocery runs 😜

• Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links