TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels! - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels!

This is a discussion on TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels! within the CLA Performance forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by DavidCLA250 Ok, so if I want to get maximum HP gains. I get the cooler. Can I pair it with a piggyback ...

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels!

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidCLA250 View Post
    Ok, so if I want to get maximum HP gains.
    I get the cooler.
    Can I pair it with a piggyback VR tune?
    The tune itself brings me to about 245whp
    Then paired with the cooler that's about 295whp at 4,500 rpm

Then if I use the upgraded turbo that will be coming out soon, the car will be able To get way over 300whp easily right?

If so, I may save up my monies for some of these new toys
    If only HP math worked that way. Unfortunately we deal with what is called "diminishing returns". As you mod a vehicle, every added part, although does add more HP, doesn't add the same amount as it does by itself. Keep in mind, 208 CHP is where the CLA is rated from the factory, which becomes another part of the puzzle. WHP -vs- Crank HP or what the drivetrain loses to the wheels -vs- what the motor puts out under perfect conditions. Take for example the the VR tuned set up, it ads 42 CHP, add that to the 208 factory HP and you're at 250 CHP, which is probably a little over 200 WHP (20% drivetrain loses are typical). I would expect stock turbo, FMIC, VR tuned box and exhaust to get you to the 210 WHP range & 270-280 Wheel Tq. The major limitation being the stock ECU and it's multitude of maximum torque limit maps, you could install every single one of our mods and if you don't add our ECU performance flash, you're leaving major power on the table. The stock ECU will see the engine ride the top of the torque limiter maps and will try to hold it there (if not pull it back some) thus limiting the true potential of the mods.

In regards to the stock turbo, it won't hit 295 WHP, it's too small... With our turbo upgrade, intercooler, 3" high flow CAT and tune package we are expecting to hit the 280-300 WHP mark / 350-375 Wheel Torque, which would put it in the 375HP / 450 Tq at the crank range. Before you say "That's it" look at the DYNO chart, the stock CLA 250 after a heat soaked run is only making 121.5 WHP at redline, meaning it drops like a brick due to the heat soak, the factory torque limiter and the CFM potential of the factory turbo. So our mods in this case will be much much more than just the peak #s. There will be huge gains, right where they are needed!

Phew, I know it's a lot of information at once, but we are working on all of our parts as individual, as well as packaged gains and we will be passing the information on to you guys as we have it. So rest assured in the end, with our full round of parts, the gains will be tremendous! Thanks...
    TurboKits.com Sales Team
    Boost Your Horsepower
    860-676-2929
    sales@turbokits.com
    http://www.turbokits.com/Mercedes-Benz/CLA_250_-_C117/

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboKits.com View Post
    If only HP math worked that way. Unfortunately we deal with what is called "diminishing returns". As you mod a vehicle, every added part, although does add more HP, doesn't add the same amount as it does by itself. Keep in mind, 208 CHP is where the CLA is rated from the factory, which becomes another part of the puzzle. WHP -vs- Crank HP or what the drivetrain loses to the wheels -vs- what the motor puts out under perfect conditions. Take for example the the VR tuned set up, it ads 42 CHP, add that to the 208 factory HP and you're at 250 CHP, which is probably a little over 200 WHP (20% drivetrain loses are typical). I would expect stock turbo, FMIC, VR tuned box and exhaust to get you to the 210 WHP range & 270-280 Wheel Tq. The major limitation being the stock ECU and it's multitude of maximum torque limit maps, you could install every single one of our mods and if you don't add our ECU performance flash, you're leaving major power on the table. The stock ECU will see the engine ride the top of the torque limiter maps and will try to hold it there (if not pull it back some) thus limiting the true potential of the mods.

In regards to the stock turbo, it won't hit 295 WHP, it's too small... With our turbo upgrade, intercooler, 3" high flow CAT and tune package we are expecting to hit the 280-300 WHP mark / 350-375 Wheel Torque, which would put it in the 375HP / 450 Tq at the crank range. Before you say "That's it" look at the DYNO chart, the stock CLA 250 after a heat soaked run is only making 121.5 WHP at redline, meaning it drops like a brick due to the heat soak, the factory torque limiter and the CFM potential of the factory turbo. So our mods in this case will be much much more than just the peak #s. There will be huge gains, right where they are needed!

Phew, I know it's a lot of information at once, but we are working on all of our parts as individual, as well as packaged gains and we will be passing the information on to you guys as we have it. So rest assured in the end, with our full round of parts, the gains will be tremendous! Thanks...

The part that scares me the most about ecu reflashing is just the fact that I would hate for MB to make a big deal about the reflash when needing service. Other wise I would be more than happy to purchase a turbokits ecu reflash. I am super interested and its looking like I will be purchasing your FMIC.

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jt4330 View Post
    The part that scares me the most about ecu reflashing is just the fact that I would hate for MB to make a big deal about the reflash when needing service. Other wise I would be more than happy to purchase a turbokits ecu reflash. I am super interested and its looking like I will be purchasing your FMIC.
    We are working on an "Extra ECU" option which will allow you to keep a bone stock ECU to go back to stock programming if you need.
    TurboKits.com Sales Team
    Boost Your Horsepower
    860-676-2929
    sales@turbokits.com

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboKits.com View Post
    We are working on an "Extra ECU" option which will allow you to keep a bone stock ECU to go back to stock programming if you need.

very interesting, are you guys still working on what the pricing would be? I am highly interested as a customer. I understand how much better of an option a reflash/tune is opposed to a piggyback.

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jt4330 View Post
    very interesting, are you guys still working on what the pricing would be? I am highly interested as a customer. I understand how much better of an option a reflash/tune is opposed to a piggyback.
    Yes, once we have the process down, we can work out an accurate price. I hope you can see judging by our price point for the FMIC, where we will be with most of our mods
    TurboKits.com Sales Team
    Boost Your Horsepower
    860-676-2929
    sales@turbokits.com

Member #
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I love the results and would like to purchase, I do however already have the HG motorsports ECU tune, will your FMIC play nice with it? If so I would love to purchase one. Also is it possible to post the instructions on the forum? I would like to see the work going into removing the bumper!

Member #
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    also is there any pictures of the FMIC with the sport package 250? it would be nice to see how it looks on that as well!

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    This all sounds very exciting and I can feel my wallet opening on it's own. Rather then doing the upgrades piecemeal I would probably get everything all at the same time. I don't know if that's a good idea or not because if there's any issues it would make it difficult to isolate what or where the problem is. If I do the upgrades one at a time then if I have an issue I'll know it's only that upgrade and if no issues after say 500 miles then I'll know that upgrade is good and then on with the next one, and etc. So as far as I can tell all the possible upgrades are FMIC, turbo, ECU flash, Cat back exhaust, and a tune chip like VR. Am I correct? Going back to getting all the upgrades at the same time and given the complexity and number of installs will you guys work out a deal to price out all 5 upgrades PLUS the install? I'm relatively close to you guys (central NJ) and I do have another vehicle so I have no problems dropping the car off with you guys for a week or so for you guys to do the install and test. Just a thought.
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander, TurboKits Billet BOV spacer,
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Santy35 View Post
    I love the results and would like to purchase, I do however already have the HG motorsports ECU tune, will your FMIC play nice with it? If so I would love to purchase one. Also is it possible to post the instructions on the forum? I would like to see the work going into removing the bumper!

Also is there any pictures of the FMIC with the sport package 250? it would be nice to see how it looks on that as well!
    Hey Santy35, Yes the FMIC is making power by keeping things cool, it's like free power and no additional stress on the components. It should be best friends with a tune

Instructions: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...stallation.pdf

Here is a pic from the test car, it was later at night, so sorry for the clarity. He is going to take a few nicer photos and we'll post them up when we have them!
    Name:  manny.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  91.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by tmwei396 View Post
    This all sounds very exciting and I can feel my wallet opening on it's own. Rather then doing the upgrades piecemeal I would probably get everything all at the same time. I don't know if that's a good idea or not because if there's any issues it would make it difficult to isolate what or where the problem is. If I do the upgrades one at a time then if I have an issue I'll know it's only that upgrade and if no issues after say 500 miles then I'll know that upgrade is good and then on with the next one, and etc. So as far as I can tell all the possible upgrades are FMIC, turbo, ECU flash, Cat back exhaust, and a tune chip like VR. Am I correct? Going back to getting all the upgrades at the same time and given the complexity and number of installs will you guys work out a deal to price out all 5 upgrades PLUS the install? I'm relatively close to you guys (central NJ) and I do have another vehicle so I have no problems dropping the car off with you guys for a week or so for you guys to do the install and test. Just a thought.
    tmwei396, yo do make a good point, for testing and having a "control group" one mod at a time is a good idea, but it's not like were taking a non turbo car, building the motor, adding parts it never had and trying to get it to figure it all out. The CLA 250 already being turbo knows how to make use of boost, flow, etc, so when we do come out with our full package. It should be plug n play (other than the actual installation wrenching). That also comes to my next point, we're not 100% on the turbo upgrade and are just about done with production on our 3" High Flow CAT, so we don't have the whole package ready to buy at once anyhow. But I'll stand by my initial comments, with how fast the stock FMIC heat soaks. Our FMIC should without a doubt be the first mod anyone does. It will help the stock car, help with mods, help with tune, help with larger turbo. It can make power now and expand to whatever the aftermarket brings. There really is no upper limit to the FMIC. I can handle anything the aftermarket will throw at it for years to come...

Yes, in regard to dropping the car off and picking it up with a 350+ HP package done to it. Yes we can accommodate that very easily. I would take some time, we would like to get it in, do a before DYNO, add the parts, add the tune and then do an after DYNO. But if you're down for it, we would love to have you!
    Santy35 and Picard like this.
    TurboKits.com Sales Team
    Boost Your Horsepower
    860-676-2929
    sales@turbokits.com

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    @turbokits
    Thanks for posting the manual!
    Why on earth is the oem turbo baffle needed? The stock fmic cant handle the incoming flow? Or ...?
    You folks opted for a thin and tall radiator so its partially blocked by the bumper ... a thick and short one is no good? Would some nice 2" venturi stack trumpets right through the bumper and crash bar cool the new radiator better? (that would get rid of those pesky front plate holes 😊 and look like 007 missile ports to boot)

• Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links