TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels! - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels!

This is a discussion on TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels! within the CLA Performance forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Thanks for all of the information. Hopefully once the mods are all done being produced, if you could offer a full bundle set up with ...

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels!

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for all of the information.
    Hopefully once the mods are all done being produced, if you could offer a full bundle set up with all of the mods together. Ecu flash, intake, etc.
    That would be really appreciated.
    Very excited to see this all come together. Adding this to the checklist and some stickier tires and I'll be set to go.

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    @turbokits
    Thanks for posting the manual!
    Why on earth is the oem turbo baffle needed? The stock fmic cant handle the incoming flow? Or ...?
    You folks opted for a thin and tall radiator so its partially blocked by the bumper ... a thick and short one is no good? Would some nice 2" venturi stack trumpets right through the bumper and crash bar cool the new radiator better? (that would get rid of those pesky front plate holes 😊 and look like 007 missile ports to boot)
    You got it!

They baffle the turbo to keep the car quiet and make it sound like a non-turbo car. The baffle is large and adds tons of turbulence to the charge.
    Name:  oe-turbo-clip-baffle-2.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  61.3 KB

Well it's not that thin, it's still 3" thick and judging by the AITs and DYNO numbers cooling every ounce of the charge that goes into it , but yes, if one wanted to add some stacks to the crash bar, they could gain even more cooling to the core. I agree tho, would look very bond'ish.
    Santy35 likes this.
    TurboKits.com Sales Team
    Boost Your Horsepower
    860-676-2929
    sales@turbokits.com
    http://www.turbokits.com/Mercedes-Benz/CLA_250_-_C117/

Member #
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboKits.com View Post
    Hey Santy35, Yes the FMIC is making power by keeping things cool, it's like free power and no additional stress on the components. It should be best friends with a tune

Instructions: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...stallation.pdf

Here is a pic from the test car, it was later at night, so sorry for the clarity. He is going to take a few nicer photos and we'll post them up when we have them!
    Attachment 23650

tmwei396, yo do make a good point, for testing and having a "control group" one mod at a time is a good idea, but it's not like were taking a non turbo car, building the motor, adding parts it never had and trying to get it to figure it all out. The CLA 250 already being turbo knows how to make use of boost, flow, etc, so when we do come out with our full package. It should be plug n play (other than the actual installation wrenching). That also comes to my next point, we're not 100% on the turbo upgrade and are just about done with production on our 3" High Flow CAT, so we don't have the whole package ready to buy at once anyhow. But I'll stand by my initial comments, with how fast the stock FMIC heat soaks. Our FMIC should without a doubt be the first mod anyone does. It will help the stock car, help with mods, help with tune, help with larger turbo. It can make power now and expand to whatever the aftermarket brings. There really is no upper limit to the FMIC. I can handle anything the aftermarket will throw at it for years to come...

Yes, in regard to dropping the car off and picking it up with a 350+ HP package done to it. Yes we can accommodate that very easily. I would take some time, we would like to get it in, do a before DYNO, add the parts, add the tune and then do an after DYNO. But if you're down for it, we would love to have you!
    Is it possible to paint the intercooler black? or would affect its performance? (increase heat soak) ....sorry if this is a stupid question

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Curious as to what the stock whp is.
    I know they have it as 208 to the crank.

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Santy35 View Post
    Is it possible to paint the intercooler black? or would affect its performance? (increase heat soak) ....sorry if this is a stupid question
    No actually it's a good question, while I wouldn't suggest radiator paint. We do work with Swaintech coatings and have done their BBE (Black Body Emitter) coating which is supposed to at least NOT hurt thermal efficiency, but can aid in it by a few percent and it looks beautiful!

This is for another piping kit on a different make, but you can get an idea!
    Name:  coated_fmic_large.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  71.8 KB
    Name:  Os01NrXv67black-fmic-thermal-exhaust-charge-piping-powder-coat-web.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  34.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCLA250 View Post
    Curious as to what the stock whp is.
    I know they have it as 208 to the crank.
    Most of them we see on the DYNOs are in the 180-190 WHP range.
    Santy35 likes this.
    TurboKits.com Sales Team
    Boost Your Horsepower
    860-676-2929
    sales@turbokits.com

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Updated pic from our customer:
    Name:  manny-2.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  148.3 KB
    Santy35 likes this.
    TurboKits.com Sales Team
    Boost Your Horsepower
    860-676-2929
    sales@turbokits.com

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    No actually it's a good question, while I wouldn't suggest radiator paint. We do work with Swaintech coatings and have done their BBE (Black Body Emitter) coating which is supposed to at least NOT hurt thermal efficiency, but can aid in it by a few percent and it looks beautiful!

This is for another piping kit on a different make, but you can get an idea!
    Name:  coated_fmic_large.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  71.8 KB
    Name:  Os01NrXv67black-fmic-thermal-exhaust-charge-piping-powder-coat-web.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  34.7 KB

Most of them we see on the DYNOs are in the 180-190 WHP range.
    Not bad.10-20hp loss isn't that bad at all.

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    DYNOs are typically 15-20%, I think MB just underrated them, or they rated them after the heat soak sets in on the stock FMIC! LOL
    TurboKits.com Sales Team
    Boost Your Horsepower
    860-676-2929
    sales@turbokits.com

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    You got it!

They baffle the turbo to keep the car quiet and make it sound like a non-turbo car. The baffle is large and adds tons of turbulence to the charge.
    Name:  oe-turbo-clip-baffle-2.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  61.3 KB

Well it's not that thin, it's still 3" thick and judging by the AITs and DYNO numbers cooling every ounce of the charge that goes into it , but yes, if one wanted to add some stacks to the crash bar, they could gain even more cooling to the core. I agree tho, would look very bond'ish.
    I see ... kill the flow for the sake of sonic control. Bummer.
    Ok ok maybe not big ass holes in the bumper 😊 will find another way to route airflow to the upper fins
    TurboKits.com likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Really thorough job on the instruction guide - kudos for that.
    & especially nice for those considering, to see exactly what is involved.

Although this intercooler upgrade has been designed to use many of the factory emissions controls, it is not “smog” legal in
    California, and therefore recommended for “off road” use only.
    So I trust you mean it is not CARB (California Air Resources Board) certified - but regarding the actual emissions, the FMIC itself should have no major affect? (Unless of course ECU re-map/piggyback is also added)
    i.e. most likely will pass the actual smog test and would be up to a knowledgeable* tester to fail it on visual
    *I.e. whether they would know the difference between an OEM part and after-market part in this specific instance.

My NSX had aftermarket headers (which WERE CARB certified), Muffler which I'm not sure was, or not; but regardless in all the years I would get it tested, they never once looked at it or asked for the OE number.
    (It may or may not have had some other bits on there too - but it always passed emissions levels)

Not encouraging anyone to bend the rules, just observing ..............

• Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links