Mercedes CLA Forum banner

Replace the 5'' display with the 7''

112K views 115 replies 33 participants last post by  jamjam84 
#1 ·
I think most of us don't care about the MM package since it's pretty expensive and we don't want to pay for 6 disc cd-changer (and a hard disk), when we can play music from our phones using BT or cable.

But I think the 7'' display looks way better than the 5'' because of the smaller bezel (and it maybe has higher resolution?).

Is there a way to get the 7'' without the MM package?

#4 ·
on ebay someone sells a touch screen 7 inch that replaces the 5 inch . . i think its $600

they say its plug and play and have videos of them dissassembling the screen (it looks fairly in depth and ill be doing it to my car when the time comes!)

they claim the connector is 4 pin just like stock, so itll hook right up and display whatever the 5 inch normally displays . .

it even has inputs for camera and so forth . .

i plan to buy a HDMI to rca box and use that as an input so i can hook my phones HDMI out to the screen!

#8 ·
That is so true. I have one of those Samsung TVs still going strong... love it. Didn't even think about it being similar to the MB screen - haha.

#7 ·
Anyone have the part number and a potential price for the screen change from 5" to 7"

Curious to see how difficult the actual process is.

wanted the 7' screen but have zero need for Navi. Not worth the $2k plus just to get the screen for me. Hopefully I can just get the parts number and do a swap>

Reactions: AndersonK
#9 ·
Word to the wise... do your research! I hear that it can be upgradable but then you install an aftermarket screen, you will have a 7"unit with a 5" display output. so you accomplish nothing. In the MM package, the output for the 7" screen is different and is set by the programing.. that is why MB part will cost you more. And I have not had any dealers say that it's plug and play, they have to install and reconfigure your display output. and that is only available thru MB. so buyers beware..

#11 ·
I totally agree... but who has the tech know how to get to those Factory settings?

#20 ·
Looks like it keeps the original oem factory menu and adds on top of it.. What language is the guy speaking? Sounds like he says "original" a few times.

#14 ·
Lol! That is not a OEM 7"screen. That is an aftermarket touch screen using navs-to-go software. And it does not run any MB apps. 3rd party software. And it work medioca at best. I had a stand alone 7 " screen once. Worked ok but not great, and updates are 4 times a year and cost 1/3 the price of unit.. Not to mention if your dealer sees that and you have a radio/ nav problem, your screwed cause they will not cover anything thus voiding all radio/ nav/sat radio and all electronics associated with unit..

Sent from my iPad using Mercedes CLA Forum

#16 ·
Thanks for this thread and for posting that youtube link. My question was whether that ugly as sin display could be removed. I have three issues that are stopping me from pulling the trigger. Two I can live with (turbo lag and no 3 pedals) and move on but that display is very close to being a deal-breaker. I really would want to replace that with an ipad mini and mount the ipad mini in the current display's place. I won't mind a little stub of lighting cable on the right (and pulled up behind). Or better, I could put the whole thing in a thin bezel and hide the cabling neatly.

It won't be as awesome as the work here: iPad mini Retina installed in 2014 Boxster *VIDEO + Pictures* - Rennlist Discussion Forums but an ipad mini will I think it will beat the living daylights out of that abomination that the car ships with. Plus the app updates will be very streamlined (auto updates, centralized iOS account management). That and the touch screen will be very welcome. Maybe this is a terrible idea and you guys can make a rational argument as to why.

Oh and hi. Thank you for this forum.

#22 ·
I know some of you use it for all those apps and all but I just wish there was a simple android screen for music and phone use. Something with a resolution better than a go-phone. It's easily my least fav part if the car

#23 ·
i just contacted my dealer about this, i just bought mine and am really regretting not getting the 7" I'm game to try it

#25 ·
ok so the dealer said its 750 for the oem 7" screen... first parts person i talked to at my dealer said it has a different wire connector. they also told me no returns since im attempting an upgrade. im going to take mine apart and see if it matches one someone is selling on ebay.. give me a few

#26 ·
Update.. Connections look the same with the part number and eBay listing.. I will know by Monday the latest when the part comes in

Reactions: Yoshi
#27 ·
awesome.. keep us posted caliguy..
now all we need is for someone to make a adapter that allows HDMI input... if we can get that screw iplay.. you can just plug any adnroid or ios device and mirror the display :)

#28 ·
well theres nothing in the engineering menu to change screen size... unless im missing something.. so lets hope its direct swap...

#29 ·
Ok first bit of good news.. Screen came in today to the dealership.. Will pick it up in a few hours and try the install later.. Will keep you posted!

#30 ·
exciting.. Looks easy enough as DIY if the connectors are the same.. there are some youtube videos on how to take apart the dash and the screen. If it's plug and play and all the installer had to do was take out the old one.. plug in the new one.. and MAGIC happens then that would be awesome!!! screw the crazy overpriced MM package at that point. . i just hope someone makes a input adapter to allow HDMI/AUX input. . it exists for some other cars..

#32 ·
we dont know yet.. Caliguy will be the first to test it out.. I'm crossing my fingers for caliguy and that it all works out!!!!

#33 ·
Il let you know in about an hour lol.. I may be selling my old screen very shortly hopefully lol

Reactions: 2014CLA250
#34 ·
Ok so not good guys.. Like I said all the connections are the same.. But when I plug it in and turn the car on I get a half yellow screen that kind of looks like a note pad. It's somewhat adaptive as i can see movement when I turn the I drive knob.. But that's it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.