Took my car to touch less car wash ...
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Took my car to touch less car wash ... within the CLA Maintenance / Care / Detailing forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; It has been raining and cold , and the CLA was looking like it needs a wash to get rid of the grime and grit ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Rapidfirerob
  • 1 Post By Picard
  • 1 Post By HUMP DIESEL
  • 1 Post By ubthestig

Thread: Took my car to touch less car wash ...

Member #
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

It has been raining and cold , and the CLA was looking like it needs a wash to get rid of the grime and grit stuck on the lower body panels. Took it to a local touch less car wash here in Richmond , and was pleasantly surprised at how effective it was. It really soaked the car in lots of foaming shampoo and then after 2 mins of soaking , it blasted the car with high pressure water that had nozzles that rotated as it moved along. Very interesting but it really worked. Car came out squeaky clean. A lot of touch less car wash is not very effective in comparison to the car wash that use soft brushes. But I am always wary of the potential to scratch the paint with the brushes.

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Hands free / Laser Washes are kind of hit or miss.

If its a relatively new or well maintained one, they do a great job, but if they are old and poorly maintained the heads get clogged and the coverage is terrible and you will end up with some spots on your car that are virtually untouched.

I would never use a brush based automated wash. I live out here in Texas where people drive rock and mud covered trucks through those, and you get to inherit all of the grime they washed off right into your paint coat.

I'm always extremely careful at the self services washes with the brushes and always thoroughly rinse out and clean the brush before using it.

Had a horror story happen one time when I was in a hurry to wash my car and didn't notice a bunch of gravel and stuff stuck in the brush before i washed my Mazda, poor poor mazda.

Member #
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Touchless car washes are not recommended by MB. Be careful.
    Geo K, Picard, CyberGuyPR and 1 others like this.
    2014 CLA 250: Night Black, Beige Interior, Pano Roof, Spoiler, Bi Xenons, Sport Package, Burl Walnut Wood Trim, Opticoat, Xpel, Alembic Spoiler bass, Eve IONA bass, Michael Kelly acoustic bass guitar, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 and 6.0 amps, Two Gallien-Krueger Neo II 1X12 cabs, BOSS TU-3 tuner, Guardian of The Mighty Door Gap.

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Most touchless car washes use extra strength chemicals to loosen dirt AND eat you clearcoat.

Conventional brush carwashes use other cars' filth to embed swirl marks on yours.

Aint-nobody-got-time-for-that
    CyberGuyPR likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Two things contribute to the effectiveness of touch free, well, three:

1. Dwell Time
    2. Chemical Strength
    3. How dirty your car is to start with.

Dwell Time is used to allow the chemical enough time to do the work. This is fine in the beginning of a car wash owners experience, until he starts to run the thru-put numbers and figures he can squeeze more cars in per day.
    That is where #2 comes into play. At the recommended strength, a pre-soak chemical will have to dwell for a certain amount of time before rinsing to be ultimately effective. To gain more Thru-Put, the owner can increase the strength of the chemical to allow for less dwell time. Then there's #3, and that is, if your car is lightly dirty, the cleaning effect will be higher.

Here is the bigger concern. I have seen part discoloring due to the chemical strength being too high. So, be careful, or hand wash.

HUMP
    2katman2 likes this.
    Carolina Auto Image
    Upstate South Carolina - Premium Exclusive Automotive Reconditioning
    info@carolinaautoimage.com
    www.carolinaautoimage.com

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    why not buy a foamblaster attached to a garden hose, or get the pressure washer with MTM foam cannon and do it yourself? Where you can control what chemicals are used, you don't necessarily have to touch-use a wash mitt in winters so no getting wet? you might get very good results this way too.
    I agree with the suspicions of the chemicals used there being too harsh.
    2katman2 likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I took my car the car wash again today to loosen some of the stuck on grit from a whole week of rain and snow.

Then came back and did the chemical guys waterless wipe down. I then followed up with a full paint deep cleansing with autoglym HD cleanser liquid. The cleanser leaves a completely clean paint surface for a finishing up with chemical guys M-seal sealant.

I typically leave the applied sealant on for overnight to allow proper curing of the sealant. Then followed up with a wipe down with a clean microfiber towel and then a final spray of the spray wax.

The HD cleanser is a really easy on and easy off paint cleaning system. Removes all stuck on grit much like the clay bar but goes a bit further to remove all embedded imperfections.
    Last edited by mav238; 12-25-2015 at 01:16 AM.

on9
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Please it snowed for like 1 day LOL, which touchless did you go to in Richmond? I've been afraid to go to those but the weather has not been nice to my CLA especially when the road is wet and shit gets all over the windshield from other people's tires... and how much?

Member #
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by on9 View Post
    Please it snowed for like 1 day LOL, which touchless did you go to in Richmond? I've been afraid to go to those but the weather has not been nice to my CLA especially when the road is wet and shit gets all over the windshield from other people's tires... and how much?
    Well, around my area in coquitlam, it snowed quite a few days. On and off, which is irritating. It then rained , and my drive to work, tends to pick up so much crap from the road, that, after each time I come back from work, it is like someone took a pial of mud water and road grime and splatter it over the side panels. On a white car, it is really frustrating...

The touchless is at the Husky gas station near the airport, Bridgeport rd. Just the wash alone was 10 bucks.

• Sponsored Links