CLA Car care questions - Manual or Auto car wash better?
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on CLA Car care questions - Manual or Auto car wash better? within the CLA Maintenance / Care / Detailing forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; I bought a new CLA last week. I have a question regarding car wash. Is Manual or automatic wash recommended?. Sorry if this is a ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: CLA Car care questions - Manual or Auto car wash better?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I bought a new CLA last week. I have a question regarding car wash. Is Manual or automatic wash recommended?. Sorry if this is a silly question. I occasionally washed my previous Santa fe and I never had any car care accessories.

Please suggest.

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srivishiva.MD View Post
    I bought a new CLA last week. I have a question regarding car wash. Is Manual or automatic wash recommended?. Sorry if this is a silly question. I occasionally washed my previous Santa fe and I never had any car care accessories.

Please suggest.
    Please you have a black car. Stay away from car washes. They will give you confirmed swirls. Do it yourself and if it gets too cold get a detail guy and set up a schedule for weekly washes. It's not expensive. You can visit detailing bliss for info on maintaining ones car care. Also Detailers Domain which is our form sponsor.

Sent from my iPhone using Mercedes CLA Forum mobile app
    14' CLA 45

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Milazzo. I will look into detailing options.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    If you want to drive yourself crazy go spend some time on the Auto Geek forums.

You will avoid dealers, car washes, dust on the road, and probably buy a bubble in which you can store your car. Please...make...it...stop. Must...buy...b..u..b..b..l..e.

-Eric
    You can follow me (and my obsession with cars) on

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srivishiva.MD View Post
    Thanks Milazzo. I will look into detailing options.
    Yeah buddy, I just think you could learn a lot of good info from there.
    I could give you the basics,
    1. Use 2 buckets with a strainer to trap the dirt
    2. Clean microfiber towels
    3. Air dry the car with a blower to lessen the swirls/less wiping with MF towels
    4. Clean top down
    5. Use separate bucket and MF towels. Clean wheels first, this way you can tackle the car and when done washing you go right to Blow drying the whole car. If you do wheels last, you're letting water dry and spot on your paint.
    6. Use a quick detailer when drying/after drying. Helps put protective coat on and removes water spots and any streaking
    7.Follow same rules when using Quick Detailer. Top down method
    8. There is a lot more things that i haven't covered, thats why i suggested reading up on it also
    9.Good luck and enjoy your new ride, and remember, no one will ever take the same care for your paint as you will

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Never ever, for any reason use touch or touchless auto car wash. You can thank me later. As Sue said, go check out the AutoGeek or Autopia forums. Soon enough you will know the different between a sealant and a glaze or a yellow and a red pad. Poorboys, Chemical Guys an Dodo Juice will enter your vocabulary. Warning: this stuff gets addictive quickly.

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I've always been an old school Carnuba guy but I really like what I'm reading about some of the new coatings. Plus, you can top them with carnuba! I keep threatening myself that I'm going to buy that new Pinnacle Black Label starter kit. I love Pinnacle Souveran. I didn't have time for a full detail (with polish) so I gave the Poor Boys Black Hole a try topped with the Souveran and holy cow, Batman, it was like adding a layer of glass to the car.

-Eric
    You can follow me (and my obsession with cars) on

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Esponte View Post
    I've always been an old school Carnuba guy but I really like what I'm reading about some of the new coatings. Plus, you can top them with carnuba! I keep threatening myself that I'm going to buy that new Pinnacle Black Label starter kit. I love Pinnacle Souveran. I didn't have time for a full detail (with polish) so I gave the Poor Boys Black Hole a try topped with the Souveran and holy cow, Batman, it was like adding a layer of glass to the car.

-Eric
    That's my move, sealer layered with carnauba.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGuyPR View Post
    Never ever, for any reason use touch or touchless auto car wash. You can thank me later. As Sue said, go check out the AutoGeek or Autopia forums. Soon enough you will know the different between a sealant and a glaze or a yellow and a red pad. Poorboys, Chemical Guys an Dodo Juice will enter your vocabulary. Warning: this stuff gets addictive quickly.
    educate me...why not?

MAP
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Put simply, it scratches and damages, depending on your car colour you will notice straight away (eg black) or after a few washes as it starts put scratches every where, one day on a sunny day as you approach your car you will say "huh where did all these swirly tiny micro scratches come from?" Then it's too late. I find that the damage is worst when your car is actually dirty as the wash uses the dirt as sandpaper on your paint.

I am by no means an authority, Millazo and Eric seem to know a lot more. I grew up with a bucket, soap and water, and an clean old rag, that's all we had.

• Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links