important run flat tire info! - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

important run flat tire info!

This is a discussion on important run flat tire info! within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; That's BS that they won't patch the run flat. It requires more work as they should remove the tire from the wheel for inspection, and ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: important run flat tire info!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

important run flat tire info!

That's BS that they won't patch the run flat. It requires more work as they should remove the tire from the wheel for inspection, and then both plug and patch the tire. I don't remember where I read it but some one reached out to Bridgestone about run flat repairs and they said as long as they do what I just said, the tire should once again perform within the posted speed limits.

-Brandon
    Last edited by br4nd0n; 01-27-2015 at 07:54 PM.
    Geo K likes this.
    2014 CLA250 4Matic | Sport Package | Black MB-Tex | Aluminum Trim | Bi-Xenon Headlamps w/ LED Tail Lamps | Rear spoiler | Illuminated Star | Heated front seats | Becker MAP Pre-wiring | Becker MAP PILOT | Wheel locks | Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP Run Flats | Sport Pedals | Custom Door Pins

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This does not sound right.
    The run-flats should have a manufacturer's warranty. During the first year they are supposed to replace the tire for free.
    After the first year, it is a pro-rated warranty. I am basing this on reading the warranty of the Pirelli P7 run-flats.

BTW I have just replaced all my Pirelli-s with Michelin Premier A/S non-run flats @24K. The Michelins are a lot quieter than the Pirellis.
    The whole set cost me less than a pair of run-flats would at the dealer. Got them at BJS. Installed for $15 per tire, including road hazard.
    People will tell you the installer needs special equipment to take off the run-flats, not true. You just need an experienced tech who
    has done run-flats before.

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfredsporty View Post
    nothing special, just the tread. not side wall or any other esoteric thing.
    i got a long nail in mine, i took it to local tire shop and they patched it.
    i have 2000 miles on it since i patched it, no problem!
    i have the runflat potenzas.
    i also had similar situations before on my bmw. no problem with the patch
    2014 CLA250, BIXENON, PANO
    2016 BMW 1200GS ADVENTURE
    2015 HARLEY DAVIDSON SOFTAIL SLIM
    2015 TOYOTA RAV4
    2012 HARLEY DAVIDSON IRON 883
    2009 SUZUKI BURGMAN 400
    2008 YAMAHA FZ6
    2007 BMW M5
    2006 NINJA 250r
    2006 FRONTIER TRUCK
    2006 NISSAN 350Z
    2005 C230
    2005 TOYOTA CAMRY
    1996 TOYOTA TACOMA
    1996 FORD RANGER
    1992 LEXUS LS400

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As I posted last week, a needed to replace one of my Goodyear ROF tires, I just went to a Goodyear dealer and they offered to split the cost for a new tire. There was no need to replace any other part and I got free installation and rotation of my tires. The Goodyear Eagle F1 cost $314.99 and out of pocket I paid half that amount plus tax. Depending on the manufacture of the tires that came with your CLA, Bridgestone tires are sold at a Firestone Dealer and most all other brands are sold at Discount Tire. When you have a tire with few miles needing to be replaced, I would hope that most tire manufactures would at least do what they did for me.

Name:  good year tire.JPG
Views: 6152
Size:  166.5 KB

Even with the damage to my sidewall, the tire never lost any air, I was able to drive on it and I was not charged extra for installation of a replacement tire.

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coder View Post
    This does not sound right.
    The run-flats should have a manufacturer's warranty. During the first year they are supposed to replace the tire for free.
    After the first year, it is a pro-rated warranty. I am basing this on reading the warranty of the Pirelli P7 run-flats.

BTW I have just replaced all my Pirelli-s with Michelin Premier A/S non-run flats @24K. The Michelins are a lot quieter than the Pirellis.
    The whole set cost me less than a pair of run-flats would at the dealer. Got them at BJS. Installed for $15 per tire, including road hazard.
    People will tell you the installer needs special equipment to take off the run-flats, not true. You just need an experienced tech who
    has done run-flats before.
    How'd you do that? Michelin doesn't make 225/40-18s in the Premier line.

If you used an outsized tire, comparing the ride with the stock high performance tires is hardly fair.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Because I had the 225 /45 R17 -s, which Michelin does have in the Premier line. ;-)

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Great picture, thanks for posting! Was it curb shred , or did the tire develop a bulge and then it blew out?
    I am curious, because I have just ditched my run-flats because of a sidewall bubble. I would like to know from someone with actual
    experience, if the run-flats would still be driveable after a sidewall blow-out.
    (I considered continuing driving with the bubble to get another season out of the tires)

Given that hole , the tire obviously lost all air pressure, but you were still able to ride on the stiff sidewalls. as intended.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Coder.. The damage to the sidewall happen, by running over something at rather a low speed. It felt like going over a bump. Maybe a rock or large stone? There was no message on dash of a lost in tire pressure and did not notice a problem until I checked the car for damage. Noticed sidewall as in picture and drove a few miles to Goodyear dealer where a new tire was ordered. Took five days for tire to be shipped to store. Only lost a little air pressure in those five days. Tire pressure was reading 28 when I made it back to the Goodyear dealer. My other front tire was 30, maybe lower then normal pressure may have created a condition where you more at risk. I do not know if a ROF tire has any air pressure in it when it goes flat? But this tire was anything but flat.

tjj
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionisio944 View Post
    Save yourself the aggravation and inconvenience of run flats and change them over to conventional tires like most of us on the forum have done. for 1/2 or less the price of 2 run flats, you can get a set of new tires and buy a smile tire kit with air compressor and be happy and merry!
    Hi!

Been a while since I have been online. Car is in for B service today w/ 21k miles and dealer says I need two new tires. Thinking about switching all tires to non run-flats. What type of non run-flats do you have now? Are you much happier with the ride?

Thanks!

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have the PIrelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires on my car and really like them. Highly rated on Tire Rack in the Grand Touring All-Season category.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...romSurvey=true

• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links