Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Maitenance Cost

This is a discussion on Maitenance Cost within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; I have a general question regarding maintenance cost. I currently own a 2004 honda accord coupe. I am in the market for a new car ...

MercedesCLA.org is the largest Mercedes CLA Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maitenance Cost

Member #

Maitenance Cost

I have a general question regarding maintenance cost. I currently own a 2004 honda accord coupe. I am in the market for a new car and the idea of getting a mercedes at 30k'ish, just sounds too perfect. My entire family has been Honda, Nissan, Toyota loyal so I have no one to discuss what the possible costs of owning this car over 5 years would be. When asking a MB dealer they said oil changes are 180.00 but last 10k miles. Now, when folks say it is expensive to maintain a MB, what should I be looking at spending outside my warranty...besides the extra insurance cost. Thanks

Member #
    I have a subscription of 53 eur per month for all maitenance costs (over 5 years with 15000 km/year)

Member #
    Maintenance is Maintenance...

Oil, Filters, Break pads, shoes, rotors, belts, tires, wipers, spark plugs, coils other fuilds like windshield washer, transfer case. Sometimes even valve adjustments are part of maintenance.

To be honest, don't get the maintenance program. You usually wind up paying 2000+ dollars for a few oil changes when you could have just paid them yourself.

Member #
    How much are break pads, shoes, rotors, belts, do you think?

Member #
    usually 90 per set of rotors, so 180 for a full set...which you dont normally change all at once.

break pads can go from 30-100's depending on the material.

Belts are cheap, but the work to get to the is expensive. A distribution belt change will run you over 300

Then theres air filters (50) pollen filters (30) oil filters (8) Wiper blades (10-50).

These are independent mechanic prices.

Mercedes will charge you an arm and a leg for break service.

Member #
    Thanks for the info. Is there an independent mechanic franchise in the U.S. that you feel safe using? Thanks.

Member #
    I'm just waiting to walk into the dealer service-center w/ the mind-set of a $30k'ish car while they have $100k+ cars on the lifts. Let's just say, it'll be rather interesting...
    • '94 NSX 6spd. | Berlina Black - Onyx
    • '02 MR-2 Spyder | Solar Yellow - Black
    • '03 911 Targa | Lapis Blue - Grey
    • '08 Accord LX-L | Polished Metal Metallic - Graphite
    • '14 CLA250 | Northern Lights Violet - Brown Nut [Summer-2014]

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kramerb4 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Is there an independent mechanic franchise in the U.S. that you feel safe using? Thanks.
    I just use a guy I've been going to for 11 years who works for Getty. He sometimes comes on weekends and picks the car up to do work at his house at much cheaper rates.

Member #
    You do NOT need dealer service to keep warranty in effect. Just keep every piece of paper documenting service.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kramerb4 View Post
    I have a general question regarding maintenance cost. I currently own a 2004 honda accord coupe. I am in the market for a new car and the idea of getting a mercedes at 30k'ish, just sounds too perfect. My entire family has been Honda, Nissan, Toyota loyal so I have no one to discuss what the possible costs of owning this car over 5 years would be. When asking a MB dealer they said oil changes are 180.00 but last 10k miles. Now, when folks say it is expensive to maintain a MB, what should I be looking at spending outside my warranty...besides the extra insurance cost. Thanks
    A Mercedes is not a Honda or Toyota when it comes to maintenance. That said, they also get a longer basic warranty; 4yrs/50K mi vs. 3yrs/36K mi.

As for who maintains it...well, it's just my opinion but I would have my Mercedes maintained by a reputable Mercedes dealership during the warranty period. Good luck with warranty coverage if it isn't and something material goes awry...especially if you don't follow their recommended service schedules or use "Jiffy Lube" to change your oil. After the warranty period ends, if you have the car that long you should probably consider finding a local mechanic who specializes in Mercedes repairs. Just as with independent mechanics, there are good dealers and there are bad ones when it comes to servicing.

I haven't owned a Mercedes before but I have owned other "high end" European marques and have heard horror stories about excessive repair bills. Maintenance costs for my Volvo have have been on par with (if not quite a bit less than) what I've spent maintaining some of our Hondas. The same is true of BMWs and Audis we've had. In fact, my family's Bimmers have been the cheapest because scheduled maintenance (including wear and tear parts other than tires) are free for the warranty period. My expectation is that maintaining a Mercedes will cost more than a BMW but not be excessively more than maintaining any other car during the warranty period and less than a Porsche long term. After the warranty expires, labor costs will be more (Mercedes vs. Honda/Toyota/Nissan) but parts are parts and I don't expect any major repairs during the first 50K miles of ownership.

Just my $.02,
    -Eric
    Click to check out my pics or follow me on IG!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links