Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Distronic plus passing?

This is a discussion on Distronic plus passing? within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; From the C-Class manual: Changing lanes If you wish to change to the passing lane (in left-hand-drive vehicles, the passing lane is the left-hand lane), ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By El Chorizo

Thread: Distronic plus passing?

Member #

Distronic plus passing?

From the C-Class manual:

Changing lanes

If you wish to change to the passing lane (in left-hand-drive vehicles, the passing lane is the left-hand lane), DISTRONIC PLUS supports you if:
    • you are driving faster than 40 mph (60 km/h).
    • DISTRONIC PLUS is maintaining the distance to a vehicle in front.
    • you switch on the appropriate turn signals.
    • DISTRONIC PLUS does not detect a danger of collision.

In California, we pass on all sides all the time. Why should the car limit me to left-hand passing only?

Will there be a way to adjust this or turn it off? Does the Cruise Control deactivate if I have to pass someone on the right?

Member #
    PRMan,

I can't imagine that MB won't allow you to turn this off. This feature seems rather worthless if you can't turn it off or its not smart enough to pass to either direction. Either way it sounds more like a gimmick then a real feature I'd trust to the car anyway.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
    From the C-Class manual:

Changing lanes

If you wish to change to the passing lane (in left-hand-drive vehicles, the passing lane is the left-hand lane), DISTRONIC PLUS supports you if:
    • you are driving faster than 40 mph (60 km/h).
    • DISTRONIC PLUS is maintaining the distance to a vehicle in front.
    • you switch on the appropriate turn signals.
    • DISTRONIC PLUS does not detect a danger of collision.

In California, we pass on all sides all the time. Why should the car limit me to left-hand passing only?

Will there be a way to adjust this or turn it off? Does the Cruise Control deactivate if I have to pass someone on the right?
    Do you pass vehicles on both sides when it's only a 2-lane highway? I believe they are talking about passing a car on the left when it's a 2-lane highway.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAMP View Post
    Do you pass vehicles on both sides when it's only a 2-lane highway? I believe they are talking about passing a car on the left when it's a 2-lane highway.
    The question is, how does it know how many lanes the highway is? I'm guessing he's talking about freeways in California which can be 5 or 6 lane sometimes and you have to weave both left and right to pass morons who never bothered to learn that the left lane is for passing.

We have that same problem here in Austin!!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chorizo View Post
    The question is, how does it know how many lanes the highway is? I'm guessing he's talking about freeways in California which can be 5 or 6 lane sometimes and you have to weave both left and right to pass morons who never bothered to learn that the left lane is for passing.

We have that same problem here in Austin!!
    You guys have nothing on us here in Toronto. Highway 401 which goes through Toronto is the busiest highway in North America where lanes are 10+ lanes wide. We get the same idiots here, just double the amount!!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAMP View Post
    You guys have nothing on us here in Toronto. Highway 401 which goes through Toronto is the busiest highway in North America where lanes are 10+ lanes wide. We get the same idiots here, just double the amount!!
    I'll never understand how someone can be so disrespectful to everyone else on the road that they just hang out in the left lane like they don't care... or they don't know, which means they never cared enough to learn and is just as bad.

Member #
    You cut the last part of the instructions!

"If these conditions are met, your vehicle is accelerated. Acceleration will be interrupted if changing lanes takes too long or if the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front becomes too small."

Distronic Plus doesn't prevent you from passing to the right.

If you are going lower than your set speed because of the car in front of you, and switch your left turn signal on, your car will start to accelerate as soon as you switch your turn signal on if the left lane is free, even if there is still a car in front of you in your current lane. If passing to the right, Distronic will behave normally: the acceleration will only be triggered once you are in the right lane and that the car is no longer in front of you.

I have a B-class with Distronic Plus, and I always find it uncanny that my car starts to accelerate as I switch the left turn signal on even before I turn the steering wheel! LOL

Links