Finanly lost the run flats - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Finanly lost the run flats

This is a discussion on Finanly lost the run flats within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by tmwei396 I don't think he's driving them on snow yet. Yep, you are right. OP observed it on another vehicle but good ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Finanly lost the run flats

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwei396 View Post
    I don't think he's driving them on snow yet.
    Yep, you are right. OP observed it on another vehicle but good enough suspicion for me.
    CLA250 C4, Northern Lights Violet, Illuminated Star, Bi-Xenon Headlights w/ LED Taillight, R31, All-Weather Tires, Rear Spoiler, Expel Clear Wrap, Suntek Clear Wrap, MB-Tex Ash Grey, CF Dash Kit, Steel Door Pins, WeatherTech Floorliners, Euro Alloy Pedals

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2katman2 View Post
    Why not act?

Surely you've heard of Norvin (Norton/Vincent) or Fiat/Abarth, not to mention all the E-Types that somebody dropped a V-8 in.

Be a part of automotive history!
    Oh yeah, I'll get right on it.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander, TurboKits Billet BOV spacer,
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    If only my CLA has my Mazda 3's suspension then the CLA would be perfect.... along with the updated transmission software.
    You may lose >0.13g in cornering hold 😜

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    @Northern Al
    Well I am sure the "similar" P tires you had before on the Lincoln were at least incrementally less capable (compound wise) than the newer versions of the P tires you have now.
    However ... the biggest difference in your feel of handling (in the snow or otherwise) would be the fact you are comparing your CLA to a Lincoln ... I am pretty sure even in the snow and with identical tires the CLA would run rings around the other car 

ps - I get to toss all sorts of cars around and despite its relatively affordable price the CLA is still challenging me to run it off its rails ... quite impressive.

I'm not comparing the the performance of the tires between the two cars. Only the difference in the tire brands I'd used specifically on the Lincoln.

I was comparing the Pirellis to the Michelin & Firestone Firehawks that I also ran on the LS. Both the Michelin & Firehawk all-seasons were better than the Pirelli in rain and snow, even when I had changed to the Pirelli snow tires on the rear for the winter. The Pirelli were great in dry pavement but, only dry pavement. The others were just as good on dry but the Pirellis were horrible/dangerous in the wet and the snow. At times, it was almost like trying to drive on an ice rink.

It was a 2000 LS Sport rear wheel drive with the upgraded "sport suspension". It handled extremely well for a medium sized car and could move along very quickly when asked. For example, I could easily run between 60 & 70 mph on a highway exit (depending on the curve apex) and it had great steering response and acceleration. It was the same platform as Jaguar as Ford owned them at the time. It had virtually no body roll in turns, excellent stopping and one couldn't break the tires loose when turning on dry pavement. It was the benchmark for the personal 8-cylinder luxo-sport car back then with about 300 hp. and was all aluminum and and composite.

Don't get me wrong I do love my CLA but I'd rate it as a #3 or 4 overall in all the cars I've owned. The LS is definitely one of the cars I miss (as I'm sure I will miss the CLA when it's gone).
    Last edited by Northern Al; 01-10-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    You may lose >0.13g in cornering hold 
    I don't race my cars so I doubt I would notice the difference. Besides, lateral acceleration isn't on the top of my priorities when it comes to suspension.
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander, TurboKits Billet BOV spacer,
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

Member #
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Just took off my runflats for Continental DWS06 all seasons. The ride seems a bit more smooth and steering definitely feels tighter. We only had about an inch or two of snow so I haven't been able to fully test them out but the grip seems solid.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Al View Post

It was was a 2000 LS Sport rear wheel drive with the upgraded "sport suspension". It handled extremely well for a medium sized car and could move along very quickly when asked. For example, I could easily run between 60 & 70 mph on a highway exit (depending on the curve apex) and it had great steering response and acceleration. It was the same platform as Jaguar as Ford owned them at the time. It had virtually no body roll in turns, excellent stopping and one couldn't break the tires loose when turning on dry pavement. It was the benchmark for the personal 8-cylinder luxo-sport car back then with about 300 hp. and was all aluminum and and composite.

Don't get me wrong I do love my CLA but I'd rate it as a #3 or 4 overall in all the cars I've owned. The LS is definitely one of the cars I miss (as I'm sure I will miss the CLA when it's gone).
    Oh ... the Jag in a Lincoln skin 😊
    I do remember the LS from that era.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    I don't race my cars so I doubt I would notice the difference. Besides, lateral acceleration isn't on the top of my priorities when it comes to suspension.
    Everything being even I agree ... but in my experiences that extra cornering ability always defines whether my car emerges unscathed from typical roadway incidents that are just magnetized to me 😜

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Everything being even I agree ... but in my experiences that extra cornering ability always defines whether my car emerges unscathed from typical roadway incidents that are just magnetized to me 
    If I drive my cars to their limits then I would have other things to worry about and nothing is ever equal. All I'm saying is the suspension in the CLA is a bit on the rough side which is only magnified by the RFT and the Mazda 3's suspension has a good balance between comfort and performance.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)

Finanly lost the run flats

If I drive my cars to their limits then I would have other things to worry about and nothing is ever equal. All I'm saying is the suspension in the CLA is a bit on the rough side which is only magnified by the RFT and the Mazda 3's suspension has a good balance between comfort and performance.
    Agree on that angle 😊
    I drive both 3S and CLA regularly ... though even the woman prefers the Benz ... go figure 😋

• Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links