Finanly lost the run flats - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Finanly lost the run flats

This is a discussion on Finanly lost the run flats within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by jmc Everything being even I agree ... but in my experiences that extra cornering ability always defines whether my car emerges unscathed ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Finanly lost the run flats

Member #
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Everything being even I agree ... but in my experiences that extra cornering ability always defines whether my car emerges unscathed from typical roadway incidents that are just magnetized to me 
    "typical roadway incidents that are just magnetized to me" ?

Physician, heal thyself.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2katman2 View Post
    "typical roadway incidents that are just magnetized to me" ?

Physician, heal thyself.
    Well not much I can do... I mean here I am taking my time at 65mph in the right lane (lane 3 of 3) next exit at least 2 miles away, with a Lexus about 3 car lenghts behind me... a little Toyota Corolla fully loaded with 4 passengers scoots by in lane 2 at about 75mph or so... when their rear bumper is about flush with my front bumper their right rear tire blows and proceeds to unwind from the rim and does a chaotic dance and bounce routine towards me, and the Corolla proceeds to yaw counterclockwise but the driver keeps his foot down (cuz he had his right blinker on and supposedly wanted to accelerate past me to get into lane 3) so they simply crash head on into the median concrete, and of course the idiot in the Lexus behind me has his head turned about 30 degrees to watch the crash, and during this entire instance of an event (<2sec) if I hit the brakes to avoid the damn tire he would have slammed into me as his gaze was not forward and at 65mph his GS class brakes would not arrest his car's momentum in time (he didn't remember the 2sec rule), so with only a 5~6 foot hard shoulder on my right, all I could do was gun it *towards* the incoming tire, do a high speed S knowing where the tire is, and proceeded to exit the scene. And you guessed it, the tire went right for the Lexus and he was lucky it went through the empty passenger side. So I got to that exit down the road, called the cops, did the witness thing etc etc. That tire had NO tread on it (no wonder it blew) the 4 in the Corolla were undocumented visitors and split the scene, though did leave behind enough biologicals for the meds to collect some evidence.
    Now here is the kicker... this is quite common for me, no matter how I try to avoid it (hence one of my comments in another post indicating preference of 100m space between me and others) I am just a magnet... I accept it as my lot in life, though it does get tiring... and friends and family sometimes think twice before traveling with me.
    Other cases include 18 wheeler tires, chemical drums, wheel barrows, mattresses, clothing, bumpers, etc etc. And one time a lovely white Samoyed dog that decided to jump out of his master's SUV rear window... but luckily that was only at 40mph or so and that was less stressful than the Corolla case.
    So there you have it... Nothing to fix ;-)
    tmwei396 likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have Cinturato's, and mine are RFT's. Are you saying Pirelli manufactures these in a NON-RFT variant?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicMan250 View Post
    I have Cinturato's, and mine are RFT's. Are you saying Pirelli manufactures these in a NON-RFT variant?

Yes, P7 A/S PLUS - 225/45R17/XL 94H

Not sure about 18" never checked them out.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicMan250 View Post

Most tires are NOT runflat design ... though it sure looks like more and more of them are becoming so ...
    Good grief like our new soda laws and taxes just you wait -- everything will be RFTs! 😁

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Al View Post
    Yes, P7 A/S PLUS - 225/45R17/XL 94H

Not sure about 18" never checked them out.
    I have the 18's

Member #
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwei396 View Post
    If only my CLA has my Mazda 3's suspension then the CLA would be perfect.... along with the updated transmission software.
    I know what you mean when you said you like your Mazda 3 suspension. I rode in my friend's Mazda 3, and the ride is definitley very comfortable without it being too mushy/squirmy in performance. But I doubt the Mazda 3 suspension can match the CLA with the sports pkg in handling, honestly speaking.

As you mentioned, you don't drive your cars to the limit, hence, whether the CLA suspension handles better than the 3's in performance is a mute point.

So it really boils down to what you are looking for in the characteristics of a car's suspension. I like mine with a bent towards to better sports handling (hence a little firmer ride). The CLA sport pkg suspension rides harder than the 3's, but not too much harder IMHO.

But you can't really compare apples and oranges, CLA sport to a std compact sedan like the 3.

I really like the CLA. It's not the perfect car. It has its issues, like high fuel consumption when in heavy traffic, don't have apple car play and other key features for certain MY models.
    But the sports suspension is fine with me, transmission a little laggy in "E" mode, but it is in "E" mode after all. When I put it in "S" mode, no more lag... it goes like nuts...

Was deciding between the CLA, Audi A3/A4, BMW 3 series, and after pondering over things like , exterior looks, interior styling, engine performance, customer service (sales/repair)... decided on the CLA. no regrets.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mav238 View Post
    I know what you mean when you said you like your Mazda 3 suspension. I rode in my friend's Mazda 3, and the ride is definitley very comfortable without it being too mushy/squirmy in performance. But I doubt the Mazda 3 suspension can match the CLA with the sports pkg in handling, honestly speaking.

As you mentioned, you don't drive your cars to the limit, hence, whether the CLA suspension handles better than the 3's in performance is a mute point.

So it really boils down to what you are looking for in the characteristics of a car's suspension. I like mine with a bent towards to better sports handling (hence a little firmer ride). The CLA sport pkg suspension rides harder than the 3's, but not too much harder IMHO.

But you can't really compare apples and oranges, CLA sport to a std compact sedan like the 3.

I really like the CLA. It's not the perfect car. It has its issues, like high fuel consumption when in heavy traffic, don't have apple car play and other key features for certain MY models.
    But the sports suspension is fine with me, transmission a little laggy in "E" mode, but it is in "E" mode after all. When I put it in "S" mode, no more lag... it goes like nuts...

Was deciding between the CLA, Audi A3/A4, BMW 3 series, and after pondering over things like , exterior looks, interior styling, engine performance, customer service (sales/repair)... decided on the CLA. no regrets.
    I have the Sports Package also and although I do find it a bit stiff, I'm still OK with it. It's a little stiffer than I like but not enough for me to pass on it even after 3 test drives and I test drove the Sport and non-Sport versions of the CLA.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander, TurboKits Billet BOV spacer,
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwei396 View Post
    I have the Sports Package also and although I do find it a bit stiff, I'm still OK with it. It's a little stiffer than I like but not enough for me to pass on it even after 3 test drives and I test drove the Sport and non-Sport versions of the CLA.
    For the (early) 2014s aside from the softer17 vs stiffer 18 tires ... did you really notice a "softer" suspension for the standard trim? I recall a review rag which noted the suspension was the "same" for early 2014 CLA250s despite the brochure claim of "sport tuned suspension" for the sport package ...

Member #
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    jmc likes this.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

• Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links