Finanly lost the run flats
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Finanly lost the run flats within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Recently decided to dump the run flats. Had Continentals & Bridgestones. Both handled OK and got decent mileage up to 43 mpg on the Continentals ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Finanly lost the run flats

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Recently decided to dump the run flats. Had Continentals & Bridgestones. Both handled OK and got decent mileage up to 43 mpg on the Continentals and 42 on the Bridgestones. As one would expect, the ride was harsh and kinda' noisy. Got around 20 to 22K mi. on both before they needed to go.

Now I have Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S PLUS - 225/45R17/XL 94H and a fix-a-flat can in the trunk. They are much quieter and a nicer ride on the highway. Control and cornering are better as well as high speed lane shifting. Haven't done an emergency stop yet. Gas mileage is in the 38 to 40 mpg range. I haven't had them in the rain yet but have had a loaner 2016 CLA in the rain and it did very well.

I've always been suspect of Pirellis in the rain and snow as I've had them on a Lincoln LS Sport and they were awful. They were great on dry pavement but as one would expect didn't wear very well. Even the Pirelli snow tires were useless and back then at $425.00 each were a huge disappointment. So bad my wife wouldn't drive the car in the winter. Swore I'd never buy Pirellis again.

Then I got in that CLA loaner and was impressed. So far, I'm very pleased with the Cinturatos - will keep you posted on rain, durability & winter handling.
    RSM, Texas Dave, jmc and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Wait, are you saying the 2016 CLA came with Cinturato P7 A/S PLUS non-RFT? Did it come with a spare or a fix-a-flat kit?
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander, TurboKits Billet BOV spacer,
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

RSM
    Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Al View Post
    Recently decided to dump the run flats. Had Continentals & Bridgestones. Both handled OK and got decent mileage up to 43 mpg on the Continentals and 42 on the Bridgestones. As one would expect, the ride was harsh and kinda' noisy. Got around 20 to 22K mi. on both before they needed to go.

Now I have Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S PLUS - 225/45R17/XL 94H and a fix-a-flat can in the trunk. They are much quieter and a nicer ride on the highway. Control and cornering are better as well as high speed lane shifting. Haven't done an emergency stop yet. Gas mileage is in the 38 to 40 mpg range. I haven't had them in the rain yet but have had a loaner 2016 CLA in the rain and it did very well.

I've always been suspect of Pirellis in the rain and snow as I've had them on a Lincoln LS Sport and they were awful. They were great on dry pavement but as one would expect didn't wear very well. Even the Pirelli snow tires were useless and back then at $425.00 each were a huge disappointment. So bad my wife wouldn't drive the car in the winter. Swore I'd never buy Pirellis again.

Then I got in that CLA loaner and was impressed. So far, I'm very pleased with the Cinturatos - will keep you posted on rain, durability & winter handling.
    Nice review!
    -Favorite Cars-
    2014 CLA 250 4Matic, Polar Silver, Premium Package, Bi-Xenon Lights, Pano Roof, Blind Spot Assist, Burl Dash Insert. Comfort Suspension
    2014 CLA 250 FWD (traded in for Certified Pre-Owned AWD)
    2010 VW CC
    2004 VW Passat GLX-4motion
    2002 Subaru WRX
    1975 Saab 99GLE
    1971 Saab 99E

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Thank you for this information. This validates my observation on my car's handling on snow, w/c I'm not confident about.
    CLA250 C4, Northern Lights Violet, Illuminated Star, Bi-Xenon Headlights w/ LED Taillight, R31, All-Weather Tires, Rear Spoiler, Expel Clear Wrap, Suntek Clear Wrap, MB-Tex Ash Grey, CF Dash Kit, Steel Door Pins, WeatherTech Floorliners, Euro Alloy Pedals

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahn View Post
    Thank you for this information. This validates my observation on my car's handling on snow, w/c I'm not confident about.
    I don't think he's driving them on snow yet.
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander, TurboKits Billet BOV spacer,
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwei396 View Post
    Wait, are you saying the 2016 CLA came with Cinturato P7 A/S PLUS non-RFT? Did it come with a spare or a fix-a-flat kit?
    My 15 sport came with the P Zero non run flats and the tirefit kit.
    Texas Dave likes this.
    2015 CLA 250
    Sport Package, Premium Package I and Bi-Xeon Headlights and LED Tails

Member #
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

38-45 mpg ... mostly freeway right??? Can't imagine it doing that while driving through heavy slow moving traffic. Even if you are driving like a grandpa, you still won't get that kind of mileage in moderate-heavy stop/go traffic.
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

Member #
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse1825 View Post
    Same here. Happy with them so far, just over 20,000 miles.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.
    2015 CLA Jupiter Red, premium,multi media, driver assistance, sport packages. walnut dash, Bi-xenon lights, and ambient lights, delivery, 12/14.
    2012 Hyundai Genesis, red
    2006 Cadillac DTS, bronze
    2004 Cadillac DTS, blue
    2002Cadillac SLS, bronze
    1998 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, red
    1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVile, green
    1990 Buick Buick Park Avenue, Blue
    1984 Buick LeSabre, silver
    1977 Ford LTD, green
    1975 Ford Gran Torino, blue
    1972 Pontiac Ventura, gold
    1960 Rambler Ambassador, white

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse1825 View Post
    Cool.

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwei396 View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. The MY2016 had the same class of Pirelli Cinturatos all seasons but, they were the run flat model. Even so, the ride and handling was nicer than my Continental & Bridgestone run-flats and they did very well in the rain at highway speeds. The 2016 was a 4MATIC and my 2014 is not, which may have contributed to a slight advantage in the stability area but compared to the one's I had on the Lincoln they were very sure-footed, quiet and smooth as well.
    Last edited by Northern Al; 01-07-2017 at 05:45 AM.

• Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links