I F***ked up, Auto Car Wash + Handbrake engaged.... - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

I F***ked up, Auto Car Wash + Handbrake engaged....

This is a discussion on I F***ked up, Auto Car Wash + Handbrake engaged.... within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hope you learned your lesson jk :P...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: I F***ked up, Auto Car Wash + Handbrake engaged....

Member #
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Hope you learned your lesson jk :P
    2014 CLA45 AMG (Jupiter Red, Night, Exhaust, Premium, MM, MBTex w/ Recaro Seats, BSA, AMG steering wheel) -
    Ordered Nov 2013; Delivered April 2014. Engine Builder: Sylvio Muller

2012 Subaru Forester
    2010 Volvo XC60
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
    1997 Toyota Camry
    1996 VW Jetta
    1989 Mercedes 560SL
    1986 Mercedes 560SEL
    1983 Mercedes 300D Turbodiesel

Member #
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PandaCLA45 View Post
    Thinking back, at first that was probably the case when I opened the door. After the roller went underneath the first time, i pressed on the hand brake thinking that was what was engaged while panicking, then i pushed the gas pedal which released the parking, however the hand brake was still engaged. The center dash said, please release the handbrake before gas (or something like that).

panicking even more, i kept pushing the handbrake again and again and it wouldnt release, so i tried reversing and driving forward again.

i should have known to pull not push.

i felt the car tried to go, but was held back. thinking it was roller, i put more gas and that didnt work.

hopefully the hand brake line wont be damaged. it seemed to still be working. ive been driving the car all day making sure its okay.

first luxury car ive owned so im clueless with all these features.

No damage as there's no mechanical line to it. Electric motor engages parking brake. It'll either work or it won't, no inbetween.
    Sue Esponte likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    ... then i pushed the gas pedal which released the parking, however the hand brake was still engaged. The center dash said, please release the handbrake before gas (or something like that)...
    This is very confusing to me. Maybe it's different on the CLA45 but are you saying there's a separate parking brake and a hand brake?
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander, TurboKits Billet BOV spacer,
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

Member #
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwei396 View Post
    This is very confusing to me. Maybe it's different on the CLA45 but are you saying there's a separate parking brake and a hand brake?
    I think he's just using the term hand brake referring to the parking brake button located above the hood release area. This is the only type on the 45.

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think he's just using the term hand brake referring to the parking brake button located above the hood release area. This is the only type on the 45.
    That's what I thought and gave him the benefit of that doubt. It's just the use of both parking brake and hand brake in the same sentence confused me because that suggests 2 different types of braking mechanisms.
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander, TurboKits Billet BOV spacer,
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just don't ever forget about this either because if you open the door while the car is rolling it will also throw the transmission into park and will spill whatever large cup of coffee you have all over the interior!
    xzatx and RSM like this.

\ CLA 250 Sport Plus ( Mountain Grey) AMG Quad exhaust and diffusor : TMC Piggyback : Multimedia Package : Pano Roof : Illuminated Star : BOV Turbokits : Alpine Type R's /

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwei396 View Post
    That's what I thought and gave him the benefit of that doubt. It's just the use of both parking brake and hand brake in the same sentence confused me because that suggests 2 different types of braking mechanisms.
    Isn't there 2 separate mechanism in this cla45 amg like other cars?

The P on the left side is the handbrake
    and the P under the shift knob is the parking brake?

actually nevermind this car is considered a manual car thats automatic. my guess is that the parking brake is the hand brake line?

Member #
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I F***ked up, Auto Car Wash + Handbrake engaged....

Isn't there 2 separate mechanism in this cla45 amg like other cars?

The P on the left side is the handbrake
    and the P under the shift knob is the parking brake?

actually nevermind this car is considered a manual car thats automatic. my guess is that the parking brake is the hand brake line?
    The "P" under the shifter just engages the parking pawl (pin) it is not very strong and although many people use this in auto and DCT as the only means of parking, it should also be used in conjunction with the parking brake. On a level surface the one under the shifter is okay, but the car will move an inch or two in either direction as it rests on the pawl. This causes the clunk noise when putting in gear. An easy way to avoid this is double-tap the brake to engage the parking brake and then turn the car off. The transmission shifts into park automatically while leaving the parking brake engaged, and the car will not roll and be resting on the pawl. Upon starting the car again and placing in drive it will automatically release the e-brake when you press the accelerator (love technological advances).

I always use the parking brake and strongly recommend it when parking on a hill. It will eliminate the clunk and ensure the pawl won't fail. It also relieves the shock on other drivetrain components that over time will cause premature wear from clunking into gear everyday.

I'm sure a lot of drivers don't do this and have driven cars into the ground without failure, but I'm also certain they got sloppy as a direct result of this. And I have seen cars with pawls that have sheared, pretty sure they had some assistance from the driver throwing it in park while still moving. I think most of us have heard the dumbass clicks before. I'm a dumbass too and have done it in the past. But for a long time now I've used both for safety and longevity.
    Last edited by Pete; 01-09-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    Sue Esponte likes this.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The "P" under the shifter just engages the parking pawl (pin) it is not very strong and although many people use this in auto and DCT as the only means of parking, it should also be used in conjunction with the parking brake. On a level surface the one under the shifter is okay, but the car will move an inch or two in either direction as it rests on the pawl. This causes the clunk noise when putting in gear. An easy way to avoid this is double-tap the brake to engage the parking brake and then turn the car off. The transmission shifts into park automatically while leaving the parking brake engaged, and the car will not roll and be resting on the pawl. Upon starting the car again and placing in drive it will automatically release the e-brake when you press the accelerator (love technological advances).

I always use the parking brake and strongly recommend it when parking on a hill. It will eliminate the clunk and ensure the pawl won't fail. It also relieves the shock on other drivetrain components that over time will cause premature wear from clunking into gear everyday.

I'm sure a lot of drivers don't do this and have driven cars into the ground without failure, but I'm also certain they got sloppy as a direct result of this. And I have seen cars with pawls that have sheared, pretty sure they had some assistance from the driver throwing it in park while still moving. I think most of us have heard the dumbass clicks before. I'm a dumbass too and have done it in the past. But for a long time now I've used both for safety and longevity.
    Can't concur more.

The "clunks" also mean metal shavings being generated ... they may be minuscule ... but considering tolerances / engagement /
    debris size are all in the micron range nowadays, these teeny shavings will mess things up sooner or later ... and yes I know there
    is a filter but as that gets clogged the fluid flow rates are modified and as we all know how "precise" german engineering is this
    different flow rate will surely manifest itself in a messed up gearbox in time.

Putting the actual parking brake on first (especially on slopes) before engaging the park pawl is certainly one way to maximize
    gearbox life and maintain fluid condition. 8-)
    Sue Esponte, Pete, pa4ul and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Somebody opened the passenger door tonight while my car was moving, and I was relieved that it didn't throw the trans into park.
    DavidCLA250, Sue Esponte and pa4ul like this.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

• Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links