I F***ked up, Auto Car Wash + Handbrake engaged....
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on I F***ked up, Auto Car Wash + Handbrake engaged.... within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hey all, I'm looking for a bit of advice, Here's my situation of what happened, long story short, after driving home from the highway full ...

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: I F***ked up, Auto Car Wash + Handbrake engaged....

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice,

Here's my situation of what happened, long story short, after driving home from the highway full of salt, i needed a quick fix to get the salt off my CLA ASAP. So I decided to go to a Auto Car Wash that pushes your CLA through while its in neutral.

This auto car wash is the type that has a metal cylinder that pushes the back tires of your car on a rail until the end of the wash, so you have an idea what kind of car wash it is.

It was so cold outside that my window wasn't going down fast enough I decided to open the door to scan the car wash code.

Little did I know, the CLA engages the handbrakes when you open the door in neutral.

After scanning the code, I close the door and wait.

Suddently I hear wet rubber rubbing hard. CLA went up and bounced back down, Up again, and bounced back down.

All of I sudden I panic, WTF? What was going on? Again the CLA went up and bounced back down, up and bounced back down. This is due to the fact that the car is locked in with the handbrake, realizing this only LATER.

EDIT: I freak out and notice the Parking is engaged, so i keep pushing the parking brake button. But its not disengaging.

I put the car in reverse to get out, but the CLA doesnt move as I give it gas. WTF? - Again this is due to the fact that the car is locked in with the handbrake.

So I put it in drive and give it gas, IT DOESNT MOVE again! WTF??? - Again this is due to the fact that the car is locked in with the handbrake, not realizing until later.

Im panicking, the CLA goes up and back down, the CLA isnt moving no matter how much gas I give.

I look at the speedometer and I notice the P sign still lit up.

I keep pressing the P on the left side of the steering wheel. Its not working! what the hell, I keep pushing it pushing it.

CLA goes up and back down again.

Luckily in the mist of my panic, I pulled it and it disengaged the auto handbrake.

I put it in neutral and the CLA goes through the wash.

My biggest concern is, is this something I should go check out? The CLA works fine, tires seem normal, and handbrakes still engage.

Would this have left some permanent damage? I'm stressing out and worried sick.

please some advice would be great! any advice would be appreciated.

I'm concerned about the handbrake and transmission.
    Last edited by PandaCLA45; 01-08-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Could be a number of things. Pushing the parking brake engages it. Was this the one you kept on pushing? The parking brake should have auto disengaged when you press the gas on gear so that's odd that the car did not move. The parking brake might have been stuck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Could be a number of things. Pushing the parking brake engages it. Was this the one you kept on pushing? The parking brake should have auto disengaged when you press the gas on gear so that's odd that the car did not move. The parking brake might have been stuck.

This was a RAIL auto car wash, there is this metal cylinder that pushes the back tire and make it go through the was.

When I opened the door to scan the code, the auto handbrake engaged.

The cylinder kept pushing, the car not moving cause the handbrake engaged. I give it gas, forward and reverse. Not working, until the pull the handbrake on the bottom left of the steering wheel.

I'm just wondering if this will cause permanent damage to the inner working of the car? Should I get it checked out? OR maybe replace parts?

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Other than a visual inspection, if everything works as it should i think you're fine. The dealership won't touch anything if they find nothing out of the ordinary.

Rapidfirerob and Sue Esponte like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Other than a visual inspection, if everything works as it should i think you're fine. The dealership won't touch anything if they find nothing out of the ordinary.

OH I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN. When I panicked the first time, I didnt give it gas. I pushed the handbrake first, thinking it wouldve disengaged it. When I actually manual permanently engaged it!

Im really concerned about the transmission. Something like that wouldn't end up blowing it down the line would it? like a ticking time bomb.
    Last edited by PandaCLA45; 01-08-2017 at 09:40 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I think you're OK. Those metal "cylinders" are actually rollers so as they were going under the tires making the car bounce up the rollers are just lifting up the tires, so it is really no different than you rolling over speed bumps. Even if your wheels are locked the rollers are not so they're rolling under the tires. Those rollers are designed to do that so you won't screw up your car if it is not in neutral.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.
    Black CLA250 - Premium, Multimedia, Sport, Panorama roof, Bi-Xenon, Window Tinting (50%/35% Front/Rear), Pedal Commander, TurboKits Billet BOV spacer,
    Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT (Run Flats) mounted on 18x8 Anzio Turn Bright Silver wheels with TPMS sensors for winter driving.
    Daily driver: 2015 Silver Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback, 6-speed manual transmission

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    You should be more worried about the damage that auto carwash has done to your paint.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since your veh was not actually moving I don't think you damaged your transmission at all. Your parking brakes were just doing its job (very well I might add)
    Overall you should be fine.

Member #
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    correct me if I am wrong but believe when you open the door it shifts the transmission to park, which also applies the brake. So you were attempting to release the brake, which you probably did, but the auto remained in park and hence would not roll forward. I agree with others you probably did not do any damage as the roller "rolled under the left rear tire and continued forward, then rolled under the left front tire and continued on its way. But it is nerve wracking as you start to panic and worry about possible damage to your vehicle .
    pa4ul, xzatx and CyberGuyPR like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 07SGT View Post
    correct me if I am wrong but believe when you open the door it shifts the transmission to park, which also applies the brake. So you were attempting to release the brake, which you probably did, but the auto remained in park and hence would not roll forward. I agree with others you probably did not do any damage as the roller "rolled under the left rear tire and continued forward, then rolled under the left front tire and continued on its way. But it is nerve wracking as you start to panic and worry about possible damage to your vehicle .
    Thinking back, at first that was probably the case when I opened the door. After the roller went underneath the first time, i pressed on the hand brake thinking that was what was engaged while panicking, then i pushed the gas pedal which released the parking, however the hand brake was still engaged. The center dash said, please release the handbrake before gas (or something like that).

panicking even more, i kept pushing the handbrake again and again and it wouldnt release, so i tried reversing and driving forward again.

i should have known to pull not push.

i felt the car tried to go, but was held back. thinking it was roller, i put more gas and that didnt work.

hopefully the hand brake line wont be damaged. it seemed to still be working. ive been driving the car all day making sure its okay.

first luxury car ive owned so im clueless with all these features.
    Last edited by PandaCLA45; 01-08-2017 at 05:24 PM.

• Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links