When to trade in a car?
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

When to trade in a car?

This is a discussion on When to trade in a car? within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Granted the specs/mileage are the same - would I get more money trading in a CLA still under the 4 year manufacturer warranty or one ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When to trade in a car?

agp
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When to trade in a car?

Granted the specs/mileage are the same - would I get more money trading in a CLA still under the 4 year manufacturer warranty or one with a recently expired warranty? Kind of bored with my CLA and want something new.
    2014 cla250 4matic

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    To a dealer, i think it will never be that great. if you want more, sell it to someone.

My dealer offer me 7K less than what i can find for sale...
    - Smart Fortwo 2006
    - Campagna T-Rex 2011
    - Mercedes CLA 250 4Matic 2014

agp
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    True but does not answer the question I had...
    2014 cla250 4matic

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if dealerships factor in warranty left on a trade-in. Rule of the thumb is, you would always get more money when selling privately since you'll own the equity. Is your car paid off? If not, find out if you're upside down (pay off amount vs car's current value). The best time to trade in is when the car's value still exceeds the pay-off amount. Then use the equity for down payment towards the new car.

agp
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yes bought with cash
    2014 cla250 4matic

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by agp View Post
    yes bought with cash
    Warranty in force is added value to the buyer, which applies to a trade-in as well.
    But the controlling factors are weighted to the supply and demand for the subject vehicles, as well as such tools as the Kelly Blue Book values, which are inclusive.
    Your experience and negotiation skills "Trump" all of the above!
    #1: '14 250 Universe Blue (Limited Ed.) + Leath, Walnut, Parktronic, Prem Pk, Interior Pk., Multimedia , Driver Assist, Lighted Sills, LoJack, Ext. War, Wheel Locks, Random Sunglasses Holder, + (Bonus - Extra Wide Door Gaps.)
    #2: '14 250 Polar Silver + [Same as above] + Pano, (Minus Random Sunglass Holder.)

agp
    Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo K View Post
    Warranty in force is added value to the buyer, which applies to a trade-in as well.
    But the controlling factors are weighted to the supply and demand for the subject vehicles, as well as such tools as the Kelly Blue Book values, which are inclusive.
    Your experience and negotiation skills "Trump" all of the above!
    That's what I suspected! Nice! New car time!
    2014 cla250 4matic

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    In some cases if u already have the car you want picked out and the dealer knows you're serious.
    This is where " geo k"'s negotiation skills come in.
    Now give them a price your willing to pay inclusive of taxes. factor in the price u want for ur car and the discount you want from the dealership on the car your purchasing. Give them the final number ur willing to pay with ur car traded in and don't budge with their counter offer. Don't even tell them how much u want for the trade in or the discount on the car ur purchasing , just a number that's it.
    If it's overall reasonable they will go ahead with the deal. Cause In those instances they sometimes even overvalue the trade in and show the car they are selling with not as much discount.
    They might come with counter tactics as well " how did you come to that price " " what makes you think we will agree " the sales guy will go back and forth , even say let me bring my superior and then he will come talk and ask similar question and say that's a lot you're asking for .
    And u just explain, I factored in my finances and this is how much I'm comfortable paying and will buy this car today if you agree . Be nice friendly etc .
    Usually they agree, it's worked for me 3/4 times. If they don't agree there r plenty of dealers out there and great cars. But if ur hearts set and u can't have any other car, then I guess ur better off selling it privately and get the most money.

Member #
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Granted the specs/mileage are the same - would I get more money trading in a CLA still under the 4 year manufacturer warranty or one with a recently expired warranty? Kind of bored with my CLA and want something new.
    It really depends how much warranty is still left.
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    When to trade in a car?

You answered your own question-- when you're bored or want something different, it's time!! (I traded my CLA at 10K miles; I wanted a bigger car.)

That's what I suspected! Nice! New car time!
    Are you getting another Benz?
    2014 CLA250 | Cirrus White | GFB DV+ | Premium Package | CF Mirror Covers | CF Spoiler | Burl Walnut Trim | Illuminated Star | Black Vinyl Roof l Wrap | Sprint Booster

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links