Front Wheel Drive - Torque Steer
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Front Wheel Drive - Torque Steer within the CLA General Discussion forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hello - I just ordered my CLA. I did test drive it and loved it. However, I've been given lots of advice against getting a ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front Wheel Drive - Torque Steer

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello - I just ordered my CLA. I did test drive it and loved it. However, I've been given lots of advice against getting a FWD Mercedes because it has not been proven, won't handle like other Mercedes' and would suffer from torque steer. I know most of the reviews have not had a problem with this, but I am wondering if any owners (who also own or have driven another Mercedes) feel that the CLA drives poorly comparatively and if it would be wise to hold out for a 4matic version. To me, I don't see any issue other than yes, it hasn't been proven, but it felt great to me.

Thanks for any advice.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottkusf View Post
    Hello - I just ordered my CLA. I did test drive it and loved it. However, I've been given lots of advice against getting a FWD Mercedes because it has not been proven, won't handle like other Mercedes' and would suffer from torque steer. I know most of the reviews have not had a problem with this, but I am wondering if any owners (who also own or have driven another Mercedes) feel that the CLA drives poorly comparatively and if it would be wise to hold out for a 4matic version. To me, I don't see any issue other than yes, it hasn't been proven, but it felt great to me.

Thanks for any advice.
    First off, as you noted, the reviewers who have driven the car have remarked that it is very well balanced.
    Second, even on the 4Matic all wheel drive, most of the time the majority of the energy will be sent to the front wheels. The 4Matic setup will generally only go up to 50/50 split and that may be in traction control situations (ice, mud).
    Lastly, are you planning to take your car to the track? If not, no worries mate!
    Alex

2015 GLA 250 4MATIC, Polar Silver (Premium, Multi-Media, Driver Asst., Bi-Xenon)
    Traded-In: 2014 CLA 250, Polar Silver (Sport, Premium, Multi-Media, Driver Asst., Bi-Xenon, Spoiler)
    2010 GLK 350, Dark Blue

Gone but not forgotten:
    1970 Datsun 240Z

CEB
    Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Have not experienced once in my CLA.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't experienced it on my CLA either. The only issue I have is keeping traction on my front wheels when I "accidentally" hit the gas pedal a bit too hard. The only other 4matic vehicle I've driven is the C300 but that is a rwd-biased system which I believe is a 40/60 split, and I feel like the CLA has a more sportier feel on the road.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpatrick01 View Post
    I haven't experienced it on my CLA either. The only issue I have is keeping traction on my front wheels when I "accidentally" hit the gas pedal a bit too hard. The only other 4matic vehicle I've driven is the C300 but that is a rwd-biased system which I believe is a 40/60 split, and I feel like the CLA has a more sportier feel on the road.
    X2, when the turbo kicks in it spins the front wheels a bit much, especially from a standstill in sport mode

I take corners at 40-50MPH and she handles just fine though.
    2014 Mercedes Benz CLA Edition 1
    1999 Porsche Boxster

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    At a risk of sounding condescending (which I am not being) and having test driven a CLA250 as well - I don't feel that the CLA250 has enough torque to really have a torque steering issue unless you really try to give it one.
    Last edited by G4M3R; 11-14-2013 at 07:38 AM.
    Instagram @bamboocr3w
    CLA45 AMG '14 : Mtn. Grey, NSP, AMG Exhaust, Exclusive, Premium, AMG spoiler.
    GLK 350 '13
    C350 '09

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    If you've test driven it and you loved the way it drives, then you need not worry about concerns that other people raise unless it might apply to your day-to-day use of the car. For example, torque steer, even in average cars that have it, you have to accelerate pretty hard (relative to that vehicle) to experience it. Now, if in your day-to-day driving, you're a really hard accelerator, then I assume that's how you test drove the car - thus if you didn't notice it, then not much to worry about. Another example is handling, whether the CLA handles better or worse than its siblings, is likely irrelevant for most (not all, but most) day-to-day driving because it would take quite a bit to push the cars to its limits. That said, it is nice to have for those times when you do want to push the car a little harder; but the CLA handles very well anyways, so no need to worry.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am amazed at the fact that I get no torque steer in my CLA. NONE! Granted I haven't pushed it on a track yet and won't until next year.

I've had front drive cars for 35 years and have drive plenty of different models due to renting cars for business. This is by far the best front drive set up I've ever had the chance to drive. Handling is great.
    Jupiter Red
    Current Cars: Mercedes-Benz GLA45. Mercedes-Benz B250 Electric Drive, 2008 Honda Odyssey, 2008 Honda Fit, 2003 Honda Civic Si
    Previous Cars: Mercedes-Benz CLA250, Honda Civic Si, 2003 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Honda Accord, 1998 Honda Accord, 1997 Honda Odyssey, 1995 Honda Civic EX, 1992 Honda Civic LX, 1986 Honda Civic Si, 1979 VW Rabbit, 1975 Olds Delta 88, 1971 Saab 99, 1971 Olds Delta 88

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Original Poster, to your friends I would say that there are plenty of FWD cars setup like the CLA with much more torque that don't torque steer. So why would the CLA be any different?

Now if they were referring to the CLA45 with 330lbs of tq being FWD. It's understandable. But then again its a front bias, AWD. So their point is again moot.
    Instagram @bamboocr3w
    CLA45 AMG '14 : Mtn. Grey, NSP, AMG Exhaust, Exclusive, Premium, AMG spoiler.
    GLK 350 '13
    C350 '09

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you everyone for your kind replies. This definitely helps, and since I won't be taking it to the track, I am more confident in buying the car. My only concern with it is the problem people have been having of the car shutting down randomly while driving. I'm hoping this is solved by updated software as mine is currently being built.

Thank you again!

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links