Odd sound at 2000 rpm please help - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Odd sound at 2000 rpm please help

This is a discussion on Odd sound at 2000 rpm please help within the CLA Problems/Issues/Complaints forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by saxonjackson @ jmc educate me further bud , what do u mean electrical line issue and horror stories reported for that sensor ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Odd sound at 2000 rpm please help

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saxonjackson View Post
    @jmc educate me further bud , what do u mean electrical line issue and horror stories reported for that sensor ?
    It depends on the sensor and the critical level or priority its output signal has with respect to engine response. So if this particular sensor is pinged like once every 10 seconds then forget this issue. But if it is probed say every 0.25sec and its nominal output range is say 20~25mV, then the vibration causing the connector contacts to move slightly at some audible frequency say 100Hz (that buzzing sound) could put a transimpedance induced voltage drop and then change the sensor output range to say 18~23mV and thereby changing engine response accordingly. This transimpedance comes from the moving contact surfaces changing the overall contact resistance to change say from 0.2ohm static (if the connector did not vibrate) to some variable range like 0.200~0.205ohm thereby causing that voltage range instead of a consistent output level, per ohms law. Thats why most critical connectors on cars are latched and the wires are strain relieved.
    Anyway ... that fix is as mickey mouse as it gets. The solution may be as simple as replacing the connector set, its submount, or both.
    As for the horror stories a good one is a slightly loose ground wire (or a slightly overpainted ground attachment lug) in the throttle pedal assembly causing haphazard signal levels and totally messing up the car ... that was a fiasco!
    Last edited by jmc; 05-17-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ohh wow @jmc thanks for the explanation. That was honestly pretty awesome I learn so much from y'all.

You think taking the car to an independent mechanic and asking them to have a look might be a good idea ?

In the earlier post I said it sounds better, but I went to meet some family a good 30-40 miles away and the vibration is back. It's quite audible even while driving on the highway now when the cars at 60-70 mph and the rpm is around 1500-2200 anywhere in that range. It definitely increases after I've given the car a nice good throttle upto 5-6k and then back to normal driving. The temperature being in the 80's now and car temp at 210 making a difference as well in terms of increasing the noise.
    I know I can't live with that, always bothers me when I hear it. So any ideas ?

I'll post another video in a few minutes if that helps, hopefully.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    In the first video you will hear it at 13s,27s,33s,47s and then after that as well

https://youtu.be/K8rNf5ZkQwU

In the second video you hear it at 4s and onwards

https://youtu.be/501gNpMoekI

The third video is in park and you hear it at 6s onwards

https://youtu.be/bueHH8k3n5U

I should call This the vibration YouTube channel lol

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hey guys does anyone know what exactly this little part it, this is what seems to be causing the rattle . Attachment 40785

looks like turbo sensor

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Awww man I am feeling frustrated for you!? 😕
    Just ask Benz for a courtesy replacement of that connector and submount.
    Then if something else is actually making the noise you can track it down easier?

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AsteroidS View Post
    looks like turbo sensor
    That should be appropriate that's exactly where it seems to be going as well

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Awww man I am feeling frustrated for you!? 😕
    Just ask Benz for a courtesy replacement of that connector and submount.
    Then if something else is actually making the noise you can track it down easier?
    Haha thanks bud for all the help and replying to my questions. It's been a big support .
    And yeah I'll call em up and talk to the foreman about that sensor, probably post an update of that in the coming weeks. Most likely they r gonna tell me to come after 1-2 weeks lol when they have a loaner available hahahaha
    Has someone seen the movie zootopia, remember the scene in the dmv that's exactly what it feels like in there hahahahahha

https://youtu.be/0SmyATAYsNs
    jmc likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That should be appropriate that's exactly where it seems to be going as well
    by the way, the turbo sensor cost between 30-50usd in case u need to purchase it. installation is relatively easy.

hope your problem is resolved soon! cheers.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AsteroidS View Post
    by the way, the turbo sensor cost between 30-50usd in case u need to purchase it. installation is relatively easy.

hope your problem is resolved soon! cheers.
    Ohh no way can u forward me it's information i wouldn't mind buying it and trying it myself for my minds sake . It's getting frustrating and also ruining the driving experience.
    Please do let me know thanks asteroidS

Ohh another update so the service advisor and foreman are now completely not ready to even look at it at the moment, they keep saying there's nothing to be done . Is there a Mercedes Usa or something or any other resource I can take the complaint to .

Thanks guys

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)

Ohh no way can u forward me it's information i wouldn't mind buying it and trying it myself for my minds sake . It's getting frustrating and also ruining the driving experience.
    Please do let me know thanks asteroidS

Ohh another update so the service advisor and foreman are now completely not ready to even look at it at the moment, they keep saying there's nothing to be done . Is there a Mercedes Usa or something or any other resource I can take the complaint to .

Thanks guys
    Consider another service center? Fresh eyes fresh solutions ....

And if youre gonna spend money despite warranty then start with that pesky connector and its associated submount ... the p/n should be on them

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links