Calling all 2014 CLA 45 AMG owners: Would you be keen on answering some questions? :)
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Calling all 2014 CLA 45 AMG owners: Would you be keen on answering some questions? :)

This is a discussion on Calling all 2014 CLA 45 AMG owners: Would you be keen on answering some questions? :) within the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; Hey! I am seriously considering a second hand (low KM's) 2014 CLA 45 AMG and I have a few questions to owners of this car. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Calling all 2014 CLA 45 AMG owners: Would you be keen on answering some questions? :)

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mercedes Logo Flat Calling all 2014 CLA 45 AMG owners: Would you be keen on answering some questions? :)

Hey!

I am seriously considering a second hand (low KM's) 2014 CLA 45 AMG and I have a few questions to owners of this car. I realize that this is a specialized forum, but was wondering if you could all compile answers here for the benefit of not only myself, a potential young buyer, but also for others.

1. How reliable is it? I know that anyone can purchase a lemon, but on average, how has your car held up?

2. Running costs/maintenance costs - What have you had to do to your car until today? Any parts needing changing? Any sum of money that should be allocated to the car yearly? It's an AMG model, so my thinking is that it'll be a tad more expensive to run yearly than an non-AMG model? (i could be wrong, please excuse my ignorance.)

3. What would you say is a huge "pro" about this vehicle that other cars in this range don't have?

4. For contrast, what Is a huge "con" about this vehicle?

5. Do you think that a second hand CLA 45 AMG can be found in good condition for around the $38,500 mark?

6. If you have any info that you'd like to provide such as purchasing prices (New/Used) would be invaluable.

Hope you're all having a great day!

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    If you click my name I believe it will take you to a section where you can see my posts. Reading through those will give you a good idea of my experience with the 2014 cla45. Since I don't post too much...it shouldn't take too long. Hope this helps...if you have any specific follow up questions feel free to PM me.

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by danthewatchguy View Post
    Hey!

I am seriously considering a second hand (low KM's) 2014 CLA 45 AMG and I have a few questions to owners of this car. I realize that this is a specialized forum, but was wondering if you could all compile answers here for the benefit of not only myself, a potential young buyer, but also for others.

1. How reliable is it? I know that anyone can purchase a lemon, but on average, how has your car held up?

2. Running costs/maintenance costs - What have you had to do to your car until today? Any parts needing changing? Any sum of money that should be allocated to the car yearly? It's an AMG model, so my thinking is that it'll be a tad more expensive to run yearly than an non-AMG model? (i could be wrong, please excuse my ignorance.)

3. What would you say is a huge "pro" about this vehicle that other cars in this range don't have?

4. For contrast, what Is a huge "con" about this vehicle?

5. Do you think that a second hand CLA 45 AMG can be found in good condition for around the $38,500 mark?

6. If you have any info that you'd like to provide such as purchasing prices (New/Used) would be invaluable.

Hope you're all having a great day!
    First of all, the search tool is your friend. All of your questions have been asked and answered countless times in threads.

Second, here are quick answers to your questions...

A1. My car (knock wood) has been great. The dealers generally suck IMHO. Some people have had horrible luck with their cars -- as is the case with any cars on the market, there are lemons in every bunch. Generally speaking though, I think I'd put reliability at "good" rather than "excellent" based on what I've read. Long term? Who really knows. The platform is still pretty new but there are a lot of A/CLA/GLAs on the road.

A2. Routine maintenance. That's all you should expect to hear from anyone though since the earliest of cars sold in the US were sold in September 2013 and, aside from those who have already exceeded the warranty coverage in mileage, that's all most of us pay. Costs vary by dealer but it's a Mercedes. If you want cheaper maintenance, check out Honda and Toyota. Mercedes maintenance is on par with Audi, BMW, Volvo and Porsche, in my experience. Once you're out of warranty, who knows.

A3. Bang for the buck. Name another car that offers 4 doors, AWD, luxury and performance on par with the 45 that's as exciting to look at as the CLA.

A4. Transmission sucks. People say the 2015 is better (I have a 2014 with the software update). Maybe it is. Judge for yourself.

A5. Seems a bit aggressive but it might be doable. Ultimately, it depends on the options you want in your car. A $60K decently equipped early 2014 model would typically have about 30K miles on it at this point and have taken a 30% or so depreciation hit (theoretically). As with any car, make sure you get a PPI even if it's still covered by warranty -- who wants someone else's problems even if it's covered by warranty? You want the best example you can find.

A6. Check out TrueCar.com. The prices in one region are often very different in others. It's all about supply and demand. Edmunds should also give you a decent sense of what's fair to pay.

Good luck!

-Eric
    Phazes likes this.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    1 & 2. Owned my 45 for a few months so far without any problems. But not long enough to really know... But maintenance in general on high priced German cars are way higher than an economy japanese car.

3. Lotsa pro's for me! The CLA 45 checked off all the boxes of requirements for me. Luxurious and powerful 4 door sports sedan with good gas mileage.

4. My con is the lack of storage space. Throttle lag is also a con but you learn to drive with it and work the paddles. Transmission in C mode acts like a drunken teenager, stupid and slow! The ride is stiff, especially with the optional AMG sports suspension but the handling is worth it!

5. I have not seen any 45s under 40k. I paid $49,000 for a like new loaded 2014 CLA 45 CPO with 14,000 miles a few months ago. Options missing are the Parktronic, Distronic Plus, and leather. Maybe if you can find a high mileage base 45 however some of the options are a must imo. I can't live with the standard tiny LCD screen and the Recaro seats are a must! The AMG sports exhaust is a must as well.
    Last edited by Lien; 10-20-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    Phazes likes this.
    2014 CLA 45 AMG
    2011 BMW X3
    2002 Porsche 911 Carrera

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue Esponte View Post
    First of all, the search tool is your friend. All of your questions have been asked and answered countless times in threads.

Second, here are quick answers to your questions...

A1. My car (knock wood) has been great. The dealers generally suck IMHO. Some people have had horrible luck with their cars -- as is the case with any cars on the market, there are lemons in every bunch. Generally speaking though, I think I'd put reliability at "good" rather than "excellent" based on what I've read. Long term? Who really knows. The platform is still pretty new but there are a lot of A/CLA/GLAs on the road.

A2. Routine maintenance. That's all you should expect to hear from anyone though since the earliest of cars sold in the US were sold in September 2013 and, aside from those who have already exceeded the warranty coverage in mileage, that's all most of us pay. Costs vary by dealer but it's a Mercedes. If you want cheaper maintenance, check out Honda and Toyota. Mercedes maintenance is on par with Audi, BMW, Volvo and Porsche, in my experience. Once you're out of warranty, who knows.

A3. Bang for the buck. Name another car that offers 4 doors, AWD, luxury and performance on par with the 45 that's as exciting to look at as the CLA.

A4. Transmission sucks. People say the 2015 is better (I have a 2014 with the software update). Maybe it is. Judge for yourself.

A5. Seems a bit aggressive but it might be doable. Ultimately, it depends on the options you want in your car. A $60K decently equipped early 2014 model would typically have about 30K miles on it at this point and have taken a 30% or so depreciation hit (theoretically). As with any car, make sure you get a PPI even if it's still covered by warranty -- who wants someone else's problems even if it's covered by warranty? You want the best example you can find.

A6. Check out TrueCar.com. The prices in one region are often very different in others. It's all about supply and demand. Edmunds should also give you a decent sense of what's fair to pay.

Good luck!

-Eric
    Thank you so much for this reply. Highly detailed and exactly what i was looking for.

Knew there was a search option, but i'll be honest. I like to be a lazy ass sometimes :P

I'll definitely follow up with you if i have any more questions

Cheers!

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Will check it out now @neilman45amg

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lien View Post
    Luxurious and powerful 4 door sports sedan with good gas mileage.
    Speaking of mileage - What does the fuel cost you monthly? I know this is a case-to-case question, but just to get an idea

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Speaking of mileage - What does the fuel cost you monthly? I know this is a case-to-case question, but just to get an idea
    I'm getting about 22 mpg city driving. CLA's have a small 13 gallon gas tank. To compare, my previous 06' BMW 530XI was about 17 mpg city with a 18 gallon tank. Keep in mind, you must use premium gas with the turbo CLA.
    2014 CLA 45 AMG
    2011 BMW X3
    2002 Porsche 911 Carrera

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lien View Post
    ... The ride is stiff, especially with the optional AMG sports suspension but the handling is worth it!
    Not to burst anyone's bubble but, in terms of prioritization, one of AMG's product VPs told me to skip the sport suspension on the 45 unless I was planning to track it routinely. We spoke for a while and exchanged emails on my build thoughts before the car was released back in 2013. He told me I'd never see any of the benefits of the upgraded suspension around town, on mountain roads, wherever...even if driving aggressively. Once I told him I didn't plan on tracking the car often he immediately told me to save my money.

Just food for thought.

-Eric

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I routinely see about 18mpg but @Pete sees a lot better...probably closer to @Lien . It depends on your driving style, whether you spend a lot of time on the highway or local roads, and other variables.

-Eric

• Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links