Next car, CLA45 or BMW M235 - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Next car, CLA45 or BMW M235

This is a discussion on Next car, CLA45 or BMW M235 within the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; Originally Posted by tvn22 decided to go with cla45, test drove the bmw m235i , although the handling is excellent, the fact that it is ...

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Next car, CLA45 or BMW M235

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tvn22 View Post
    decided to go with cla45, test drove the bmw m235i , although the handling is excellent, the fact that it is a coupe and the backseat is really tight i decided the cla45 is a better option. i also much prefer the look of the cla45
    Ahhh finally real world folks are bucking the critics and appreciating the two coupeish back seats 😊
    Good
    European delivery 20140331

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    picked it up yesterday and i am happy with it. Favorite feature so far is launch control!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2014 CLA45 Cirrus White

Member #
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tvn22 View Post
    picked it up yesterday and i am happy with it. Favorite feature so far is launch control!
    Great color. Great headlights. Great rims.

Sexy car Bro. You won't be let down!

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Congrats .
    I see your in NY
    Very brave parking it at the mall.
    What's the milage on it .
    2016 C63S AMG IRIDIUM FULLY LOADED - WITH RECARO'S -
    -
    2012 MERCEDES C300 4MATIC SPORTS -
    old car 14 CLA45 AMG
    07 SUBARU STI
    02 Subaru wrx

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tekfoc View Post
    Congrats .
    I see your in NY
    Very brave parking it at the mall.
    What's the milage on it .
    30k miles, the mall is fine i always park far away. I see you are also from NY, i am upstate north of albany
    Last edited by tvn22; 02-29-2016 at 08:34 PM.
    tekfoc likes this.
    2014 CLA45 Cirrus White

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lt1camaro View Post
    OP, ignore all the bias in this thread as there is A LOT of it. I have driven both vehicles, I also happen to own a 2015 435i M performance edition(RWD) as well as a 2016 CLA45(newly picked up) with the updated tranny. Before I go any further or before you decide on either car, please go test drive both. Make sure to test drive a M235i with the optional M performance exhaust fitted.

The Ride/Suspension
    CLA: the CLA45 with the new dampers has substantially improved the ride quality and it no longer feels like a go cart on bumpy roads. In sport+ and race the ride is firm but not punishing and there is virtually no body roll to speak of. Compared to the M235i, feels like I am sitting a bit too high for my liking, but it is liveable.

M235i: From what I remember, the M235i has a more comfortable ride and has a bit of body roll but not too much, still making it a good car for back road fun. Car feels like you are sitting really nice and low in the chassis.

As the Mercedes is a FWD based all wheel system you wont get the fun of powersliding the car or getting the tail out through corners compared to the M235i and you should choose accordingly if you like to drift.

Engine

CLA45: Amazing engine, there is a lot of turbo lag compared to the M235i but once you are above 3k rpm the car pulls really hard all the way to 6k+. With the added horsepower the car pulls much harder than M235i and my 435i due to its AWD grip and power advantage. This car is loud throughout the RPM range and makes amazing cracks and pops on upshifts and downshifts that never gets boring.

M235i: Also a great engine that is incredibly smooth under acceleration building power much lower in the rpm range with minimal turbo lag causing my tires to spin every time i accelerate from first gear. Although a great engine the power disadvantage and the RWD disadvantage causes the car to fall behind in the 0-60 department, though this is still a very fast car. This car also makes nice burbles when you upshift and downshift that are also nice but no where near as loud as the CLA45, though the Active sound makes the engine much louder inside the cabin than the CLA45.

Transmission

Although the CLA45 has a dual clutch transmission, I feel the downshifts are much more slower and delayed compared to the ZF8 found in the BMWs and only when going full throttle in the CLA45 does the CLA upshift faster than the BMW, even in race mode.

Both great transmissions, but I'd rather go with the ZF due to its consistency and downshift speed.

Practicality

In the practicality department, the CLA is the best choice due to its four doors with better leg room as well as the AWD system that is very useful in winter. If you live in a wintery location I would not drive the M235i as I myself have gotten stuck a few times in my 435i with snow tires.

------------------------------------------
    I hope this helps get a starter perspective on the two cars, if you should have any information please feel free to message me.

Also, do not delve too deep into the comments on this forum and make sure to thoroughly test drive both cars before making your decision as they are both amazing cars to drive!
    LT1:

A few questions.

1. How many miles on it so far and have you driven it like a rented mule yet?

2. Do you have the AMG Dynamic Plus option?

3. If you do have that option, have you driven it hard in the Race mode? If so, what is your impression of how it performs in that mode when driven hard on a winding road.

4. Which wheel and tire combo do you have?

Thanks in advance!

Jackie
    Last edited by Jackie Chiles; 03-05-2016 at 06:52 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry I was late to this thread. I was going to say that another car should be added to this comparison. The GLA45. Faced with a similar choice, I went for the GLA45. (Price was a factor as well as I got a sweet deal on the GLA).

The car is awesome and in sport mode, VSA OFF, and with manual control of the tranny, you can get the rear end to slide. It's no drifter but fun.

Good luck with the CLA45
    Jupiter Red
    Current Cars: Mercedes-Benz GLA45. Mercedes-Benz B250 Electric Drive, 2008 Honda Odyssey, 2008 Honda Fit, 2003 Honda Civic Si
    Previous Cars: Mercedes-Benz CLA250, Honda Civic Si, 2003 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Honda Accord, 1998 Honda Accord, 1997 Honda Odyssey, 1995 Honda Civic EX, 1992 Honda Civic LX, 1986 Honda Civic Si, 1979 VW Rabbit, 1975 Olds Delta 88, 1971 Saab 99, 1971 Olds Delta 88

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
    LT1:

A few questions.

3. If you do have that option, have you driven it hard in the Race mode? If so, what is your impression of how it performs in that mode when driven hard on a winding road.

Thanks in advance!

Jackie
    1) Its at 30,000 miles

2) If that is a 2016 option, thats not possible for him to have that yet

3) Race start is included with All 2014/2015 models and "Race Mode" is not available on 2014/2015 models.

Race start is just launch control, cuts about .25 seconds off your 0-60 time from 4.35 to 4.1

Anything related to handling is going to be pretty subjective, given that he hasn't had that car that long I would imagine its hard for him to form a solid, credible opinion.

AWD in general is very grippy on winding roads, no power slide, no rear end slippage etc.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bens0n View Post
    1) Its at 30,000 miles

2) If that is a 2016 option, thats not possible for him to have that yet

3) Race start is included with All 2014/2015 models and "Race Mode" is not available on 2014/2015 models.

Race start is just launch control, cuts about .25 seconds off your 0-60 time from 4.35 to 4.1

Anything related to handling is going to be pretty subjective, given that he hasn't had that car that long I would imagine its hard for him to form a solid, credible opinion.

AWD in general is very grippy on winding roads, no power slide, no rear end slippage etc.
    ???

LT1Camaro said he has a "2016 CLA45 (newly picked up)", so I think my questions are on point and accurately reflect how a 2016 CLA45 can be equipped, including Race mode if AMG Dynamic Plus is ordered.

Not sure if I agree with your assessment of AWD either. The last AWD car I owned was an Evo X and that thing would indeed powerslide on my favorite corners.

EDIT with one more question for LT1Camaro: How does the updated transmission respond when in race mode? Crisper? Faster?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
    LT1:

A few questions.

Thanks in advance!

Jackie
    Hello,

1. I have around 800 km on it, so I haven't really drived it hard yet.
    2. Yes I do have the dynamic plus package
    3. So far, driving it around in race mode shifting around 4.5-5k, the car has been really fun and it feels like a go kart. I feel more confident pushing it around corners hard compared to my 435i with the added AWD bonus. Even in race mode, the upshifts at regular crusing speeds arent really as fast as my ZF8 speed, and even the downshifting has a bit of hesitation. However, at full throttle, the upshift feels instant.
    4. Not sure what tire I am running currently, ill check it later tomorrow. I am running the 19inch black rims.

• Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links