Next car, CLA45 or BMW M235 - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Next car, CLA45 or BMW M235

This is a discussion on Next car, CLA45 or BMW M235 within the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles I've been talking about handling, so I'm not sure what you are talking about. Never said the GT350 was "all ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Next car, CLA45 or BMW M235

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
    I've been talking about handling, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Never said the GT350 was "all about finesse" either.
    Don't get me wrong, American Muscle cars have come along way... and have become much more refined than they used to be... And the GT350 is no slacker performance wise...

But they still do not really confirm to the motifs and identities that most european cars do.

I've had extremely long discussions with a buddy of mine over the whole 'lack of finesse' and 'refinement' factor every time we talk cars.

Living in America, any kind of domestic brand just lacks the panache and sophistication that something like an AMG Mercedes or BMW M series has...

355 HP from 2.0 L I4? Talk about efficiency and precise engineering.. Can smoke cars with much more than twice the engine size, doing way more with less.

There is something about dense efficiency and precision that makes something like the CLA AMG very appealing.
    Last edited by bens0n; 03-07-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bens0n View Post
    Don't get me wrong, American Muscle cars have come along way... and have become much more refined than they used to be... And the GT350 is no slacker performance wise...

But they still do not really confirm to the motifs and identities that most european cars do.

I've had extremely long discussions with a buddy of mine over the whole 'lack of finesse' and 'refinement' factor every time we talk cars.

Living in America, any kind of domestic brand just lacks the panache and sophistication that something like an AMG Mercedes or BMW M series has...

355 HP from 2.0 L I4? Talk about efficiency and precise engineering.. Can smoke cars with much more than twice the engine size, doing way more with less.

There is something about dense efficiency and precision that makes something like the CLA AMG very appealing.
    Not my cup of tea but if I had 60k to throw around, the new Corvette's are worth a 2nd look. From a styling perspective it looks like a super car with the low sleek roof line and aggressive stance. Handling and interior quality is also supposed to be much improved. And where can you get that kind of engine displacement and HP starting around 55-60k?

2014 CLA 250 | Cirrus White | Black MB Tex Interior | Premium Package | Pano Roof | Bi-Xenons | 18" Wheels | Spoiler | Black Ash Wood Trim | Illuminated Star

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm far more into function than appearance, and I have almost no brand loyalty.

If a $55,000 American car is more engaging and fun to drive than a CLA of the same price I'd lean towards the American car.

The CLA45 should be an awesome car with the 2016 updates, and I hope there's a review of the car before the 2017s come out.

Yoshi, you probably read about the new C7 Grand Sport that has the ZO6 suspension and wide-body but with the NA motor, but here's a link just in case:

2017 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Photos and Info ? News ? Car and Driver
    Sue Esponte and Yoshi like this.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'll admit that historically my car preferences have leaned towards Europe -- mostly because I prefer handling to overall speed -- not because I want to avoid a particular domestic brand for any reason other than the core messaging for its products didn't match up with what was important to me.

That's changed a bit recently though and I'll also admit that a few American cars have also caught my attention. Unfortunately, they don't tick enough of the 'must have' boxes for me to take the plunge...but they're getting very close. I completely agree with Jackie's comment about a better domestic option for the same price. Sign me up!

Show me a domestic car that's already well equipped for $60K that offers:

- 4 doors (basic req)
    - AWD (basic req)
    - Comparable Size (I like smaller cars)
    - Comparable power/straight line performance (I don't want a car slower than my current one)
    - Comparable or better handling (I want a car that turns as well or better than it accelerates)
    - Comparable curb appeal (I still find the CLA stunning -- even after 2+yrs of ownership)

The ATS V might be a great car but it's base price is $60K and, much like the M3/M4 and C63, it's RWD. Comparably equipped, it's closer to $75K out the door. Nothing else (with 4 doors) from GM really comes close. The MOPAR cars are WAY too big and, again, RWD. Ford doesn't have any interesting cars with 4 doors. What's left?

-Eric
    jmc likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    But Eric, you could get a GT350R (with the rear seat option that would seat four) and go faster than a GT4. . .

Name:  gallery-1446838221-roa120115fea-pcoty-11.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  161.8 KB

Last edited by Jackie Chiles; 03-07-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hand built motor in the 45. I drive mine daily. I am not sure if M's are handbuilt or not. I love my 45!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hand built motor in the 45. I drive mine daily. I am not sure if M's are handbuilt or not. I love my 45! M's are not one man on motor. Sand cast block. Able to be tuned to about 420HP in a 2.0 liter. All wheel drive. I love all German cars... VW's, BMW's, Audi's and MB's. For the price I feel that the 45 is much more bang for your buck. I would opt for the M2 over the M235 for sure. But the AMG is so bad ass....

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My last post sounded like a run on sentence. I just looked and M's are not hand built like AMG's are a one man one motor.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    The CLA45 is a bargain considering what it has and what it can do. And drop in a typical tune and it is
    one hell of a sleeper, especially when debadged and outside left alone ... just maybe those darn huge
    front brakes give it away ... 8-)

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen three CLA250s in the last 2 days. Great looking cars, especially in white. Seen only 1 CLA45 in the last 2.5 years.

The 45 has my blood flowing.

Not sure if it's a bargain, tho. I think it's rationally priced by MB considering its competition though.

Ultimately, the AWD may make the deal for me.

• Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links