Tricolore Performance - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Tricolore Performance

This is a discussion on Tricolore Performance within the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; Originally Posted by nochaos Good questions! I installed my DTE Systems module (from Tricolore) and the AMS intake & filter in December last year as ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tricolore Performance

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nochaos View Post
    Good questions! I installed my DTE Systems module (from Tricolore) and the AMS intake & filter in December last year as my ordered car finally arrived in late October and waited to pass the break-in miles before adding the module and intake. So I have decent experience with "before" and "after" with this set up on a US 2017 car. First off the DTE module has easy to set up power level control buttons on its face. It's important to set the module correct for your install if max power is the goal. So if you only have the module, (no intake and or downpipe) there is various mappings pre-set you easily set up. Likewise it has the other settings as well if someone ever upgrades with other components.

Anyway to the question- I run 93 octane all the time and even driving in the "C" mode the car pulls very strong early on even with a light foot. However, dial to the "S" mode with more pedal and it gets a bit crazy especially when the torque really builds starting around 2,600-2,950 RPM and each shift point rises higher. Then in the "S+" mode the car pulls insanely fast off the line. Use launch control and you get slammed back in the seat. Oh and the turbo spool along with the exhaust sound is an awesome bonus! (It has the optional exhaust valve and suspension settings) You better have plenty of clear road ahead or be ready to back down fast.

Last- in the "Race" mode, I don't really notice acceleration any faster than in the "S+" mode however the trans will stay in a gear way longer bumping redline very easily and the suspension really firms up even more. It just feels really hyped up and perhaps better for a track environment or setting.

Bottom line, it's very fast. I don't experience any noticeable lag off the line and it feels/pulls very linear from start to redline. I have no official 0-60 times or 1/4 mile yet but it has to be sub 3.8 seconds to 60. Matt at Tricolore said expect 3.6-3.7 seconds to 60. Sure feels good!
    Great feedback, so much appreciated and you've pretty much have me sold on it! I always run 93 as well and recently purchased and installed an intake I purchased from another member on this forum. I have a few follow-ups if you don't mind, do the various program modes on the DTE module stay in place after you turn off the car or do you have to start anew and cycle through the 3 programs each time you get back in the car? Is the program module run inside the car to make changes on the fly (not while in gear of course) or is it kept in the engine bay? is there a legend which shows what the difference is between the 3 programs? I downloaded the instructions from their website just for a little more information and I couldn't find anything, it just says you can pick between Prog1-Prog 3, don't know what settings each has.

Also, do you have the pedal commander also? You said you haven't really noticed any lag and I'm wondering if the tune helps with that or if it's still recommended to get it? I've heard the pedal commander is a great upgrade as well and wondering if you can still tell the difference even after adding the tune.

Thanks again.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

DTE Piggyback module

First off I do not have any additional mods just the DTE module and the AMS intake & filter. I believe the pedal commander product was in response years back on pre-facelift cars to address what some may have felt was need to address "lag" issues. I know nothing more to make some type of comparison but, as said before I do not experience "lag".

It simply blasts off the line and also from say full throttle at 70 MPH in the S+ mode its amazing how fast the triple digits hit. As for the location, the module resides in the engine bay. I installed (zip tied) mine on the round aluminum tube directly behind the drivers side headlamp. Once you set the module up there is no need to mess with it again. The settings remain so it's set-and-forget. Simple.

Not sure which instructions you have downloaded but the pdf I have was like 10+ pages. On two pages were the explanations/diagrams of various settings possible. Let me know when you get the DTE module and if you have an intake and i will let you know which program to try. It's a 5 minute top set up with the illuminated key pad buttons on the module. Keep in mind this is a great engineered German made product. As I said- doubt you will be dissatisfied!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Installed mine, the instructions were good, it was fairly easy. Didn't really explain the settings as well as I would have liked, but Tricolore was quick to respond.

It def has more power. Worth the money for sure. I'd probably go with the full ECU tune if I had it to do all over again and go stage 2. The piggyback just wasn't the world changer that the whole custom tune was on my 300C, but I didn't expect it to be. Performance off the line didn't change as drastically as I hoped, but it is noticeably better. This used to be my wifes car for about 5 months, and she drove it the other day and was very impressed.

Money well spent, IMO. But if you can afford the ECU tune, I'd probably give that a shot.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporal D View Post
    I bought the stage 1.5 kit from them and it arrives tomorrow. I should have some good feedback in a couple of days.

I will say this, my last car (06 Chrysler 300C) I did a few mods on: cam, intake, headers, exhaust, torque converter and a tune. By far the biggest difference maker was the tune. Now it was a custom dyno tune, but even the canned 93 octane out of the box was a big difference. It just changed the whole attitude of the car. Launched harder, shifted better, and throttle response was miles ahead of stock. Now this was a ECU flashing handheld, so a little different from the piggyback module I purchased, but I still have pretty high expectations on the Tricolore module.
    Nice to see another Mopar guy that switched over, I sold my 2014 SRT8 Challenger to get my 18 45 AMG.
    Corporal D likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice! I had the 300C for 11 years and the wife had 3 Chargers over the course of 10. It's a great platform, really, and I do miss them sometimes.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Installed my 430R (stage 1.5) piggyback last night. It certainly has more power in the higher RPM range, and while I'm not sure what an additional 80 hp should feel like, I'm not quote sure the butt dyno is close to 430hp. I didn't go for the stage 2 package (440R package) because $600 more for just 5 more HP didn't make sense to me...unless I'm interpreting their website incorrectly.

I have an appointment at my local dyno on the 13th, so we'll see what the numbers are and go from there.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

USA car with larger intake & filter?

Curious is your car US version? And you say 1.5 setup...what is the intake & filter you installed? Please post the dyno results when done and let us know the name of the dyno it was run on and the octane, outside temp etc. Time to compare results!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would like to hear any feedback on Tricolore TP 420R. Apparently I have been told it's a better piggyback than Rebellion V2.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfahim View Post
    i have a weistec intake in, much better than AMS's,, if youre going for a tune id recommend eurocharged.
    Why weistec over ams , I felt that the weistec looked to big as most go 4” and they do 5”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubaru View Post
    Installed my 430R (stage 1.5) piggyback last night. It certainly has more power in the higher RPM range, and while I'm not sure what an additional 80 hp should feel like, I'm not quote sure the butt dyno is close to 430hp. I didn't go for the stage 2 package (440R package) because $600 more for just 5 more HP didn't make sense to me...unless I'm interpreting their website incorrectly.

I have an appointment at my local dyno on the 13th, so we'll see what the numbers are and go from there.
    Please post your dyno pulls here.
    thanks,
    c
    2015 GLA45 AMR PERFORMANCE STG2+AMS INTAKE+TRS+BRONDEX DP 200CEL+HG MOTORSPORTS 2 PIECE ROTORS+OZ ULTRALEGGERA HTL 19X8 25MM & 20MM SPACERS+AMS TITANIUM STRUT BRACE

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links