Time for new Brake Pads - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Time for new Brake Pads

This is a discussion on Time for new Brake Pads within the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; Originally Posted by Picard The fronts and rear passenger side still had life. But the rear driver side inner pad ate through the rotor bare ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Time for new Brake Pads

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    The fronts and rear passenger side still had life. But the rear driver side inner pad ate through the rotor bare metal, which is why i decided to just change all fours. Stuck caliper I guess. I went with Zimmerman rotors, pagid fronts and OEM ferodo rears.
    wow ,,, you heard it squeak and grind??
    these pagids seem to be getting a good rep ... do your have hella markings too?
    and those rears gosh tough to get any decent aftermarkets ... like ceramics

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    You more or less know if your rotors need to be replaced. The symptom is pulsating brake pedal esp. when braking at high speeds.

Despite of what anybody says, rotors can be turned at least once, although the rotors themselves are relatively inexpensive, $50-120 a side,
    depending on the position ( rears are cheaper), brand ( Zimmerman, Brembo, Bosch, AcDelco, Wagner...)

Replacing the pads is trivial. The rears typically have electronic parking brakes which have to be disengaged via software command.
    I would say the 4 corners, including rotors can be done for < $400 in parts. The procedure is documented here in the forum in another thread.

I think the OEM Ferrodo pads are nothing special, there are better options available. I currently run Autozone DGC ceramics on the front
    and DG semi-metallics in the rear. I do this for their lifetime warranty, basically once you buy a set of these, the replacements are free for life.

If you do the brakes, do not forget to take out the sliding pins, clean and re-grease them with a high quality hi-temp lube. Permatex copper
    formula works pretty good. Over time ( usually years), brake dust gets in there and cakes on, preventing the pins from sliding freely.
    You can see if they are sticking by asymmetric pad wear, e,g: the inner pads wear more than the outer.

If the pads wear diagonally (the top, or the bottom of a single pad shows more wear) it is indicating that one of the pins is sticky.
    Stickiness varies from "slightly impaired movement" to "frozen solid"
    jmc and DrOzCLA like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    anybody suggest akebono ceramics? I will change mines this summer and this was offered to me by my shop. they said its a good choice for a perf. car
    2015 CLA 45 AMG
    2014 CLS 63 AMG S-Model

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    I do have akebono on my list of possibles ... though for the 250 cant seem to find a part number

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I recently did my all 4's. Pads and rotors. Cost me around $600. I'm sure the dealership would want around $1200. www.fcpeuro.com. All their parts have lifetime warranty.
    Is this the first time you changed brake pads on your car? I wonder how often rotors have to be changed. I currently have factory fitted brake pads and rotors and my dealer told me that I will have to change both brake pads and rotors when I bring the car for the next service. My car just have about 13000 kms on it and the next service is due at 15000 km.

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Akebono

Akebono: seem to be well regarded if pricey.
    But I cannot take any brake pads seriously that do not have a lifetime warranty.
    If they are so great, how come they do not warranty them?
    And, if you can buy brake pads warrantied for life, no questions asked, why buy anything else?

The Autozone DGC-s are something like $80 for the front (for the set including both wheels),
    but you never have to pay for another set, and you can replace them as often as you feel like.

Last time I replaced the rotors, the pads were still at almost full thickness, but swapped them out, why the hell not?
    The guy at Autozone gave me a weird look asking me if there was anything wrong with the pads,
    I said I did not like the feel, and he gave me the full credit without any further ado.
    I have been doing this for all my cards for 20 years, saved quite a bit of money.

The only reason I replace rotors is if the brakes start pulsating, or if they are really rusty and /or
    have major surface damage. Sometimes a pebble gets stuck in there, and mars the surface, that would be cause enough.
    Mild surface unevenness I tend to leave alone (if it does not pulsate), the new pads will wear to the rotor in no time.

Unfortunately, on the Cla, pulsation tends to develop pretty quick, usually within 10K-25K miles, and at that time
    the rotors otherwise still look pretty good. I did some experimentation and pretty sure that it is always the
    front brakes that pulsate.

On other cars, I often get 80K+ miles out of the rotors, and in that span I swap pads 2-3 times.

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    If the dealer offers to do the pads and rotors under warranty, by all means.
    Typically they offer a 12k miles warranty on brake parts so its not as far fetched as it sounds.

If they want you to pay for it, and the brakes do not pulsate at least
    ask them why?

I would not pay the dealer to do it, they charge way too much money, Best option is DIY imo,
    but a reputable mechanic will come in probably at half of what the
    dealer would charge. There is really nothing special about these brakes, does not require secret info

*except releasing the parking brake, but that is posted here on the forum.

Member #
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 98thpixel View Post
    Is this the first time you changed brake pads on your car? I wonder how often rotors have to be changed. I currently have factory fitted brake pads and rotors and my dealer told me that I will have to change both brake pads and rotors when I bring the car for the next service. My car just have about 13000 kms on it and the next service is due at 15000 km.
    Yes first time. My my originals lasted for 56k miles. Rotors, just like tire threads can be measured. They are replaced (1) once minimum thickness is reached (2) if they pulse [warped rotors] (3) damaged beyond repair. You can go sometimes up to 3 brake pad changes in one rotor.

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Rotors do not thin out from wear. They tend to get machined to get a nice, new, flat surface. There is often a mark stamped on them indicating
    required minimum thickness.

"Repairing a rotor" usually means machining it, to get rid of surface grooves, or warping, or thickness variation.
    Depending on how much needs to be taken off to correct the surface irregularities, a rotor can be cut maybe up to 3 times.
    sometimes people call this process "resurfacing" , "machining" or just "cutting". Some shops have brake lathes,
    that can very easily do this with the rotors on the car.

There is a school of thought that modern rotors should not be machined at all, just thrown away and replaced. Just to give an idea,
    to get a pair of rotors cut on a lathe costs something like $30. The cheapest pair of new rotors are may be $100-$200.

The rationale given is " new rotors are cheap" and "machining makes the rotor so thin that it will just warp horribly anyway".
    MB dealers tend to not resurface rotors, they like to just put on new ones.

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Hi Picard,

Did you have any pedal pulsation when braking @highway speeds? Say, over 70 mph?
    I am very curious how you got to such a reasonable mileage on the OEM brakes and rotors.
    How is the climate where you are driving?

I guess I could get to something close to your miles if I decided to ignore the pulsating pedal. and
    I suspect some people are less bothered by this than I am.

My typical "brakes work perfectly" period is less than 12-20K miles.
    This is much shorter than the pad life would be, the pads are still good when this starts happening.

Tried a number of different brand rotors ( OEM, Brembo, Bosch QuietCast (twice)) paying careful attention
    to lugnut torque, etc.

Any words of wisdom?

• Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links