2014 CLA45 - short 5 year review
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on 2014 CLA45 - short 5 year review within the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; So after 5 years of ownership, I am moving on further into the AMG brand with a 2019 C63S - I thought it would be ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 2014 CLA45 - short 5 year review

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So after 5 years of ownership, I am moving on further into the AMG brand with a 2019 C63S - I thought it would be nice/cathartic for me to write up a short review for this magnificent beast of almost 5 years of partnership.

I got this car when I was 25, so my taste/preferences/desires for a car has greatly changed since then. This isn’t to detract how great of a car the CLA45 is, but more so how tastes and wants evolve. Please note that this is specific to the 2014 variant, as I am aware some of the issues I mention below have been fixed/remedied

The first year of ownership had been such an intoxicating year. On every start up, on every downshift burble, it put a smile onto my face. The looks were a hit or miss for most people, with most taking a liking rather than not. My previous car was an Audi A4(B8) 2.0, so this was a nice jump in performance/handling/sound. It definitely was the equivalent of a “Honeymoon” period at the start of every relationship where you don’t notice any faults, until a few months up to a year later when reality begins to set in.

There were a few gremlins here and there but wouldn’t say anything too severe. To name a few:
    • There would be a squeaking whenever I'd execute a low speed full lock right turn.
    • The ride comfort was "manageable" at first, I chalk this up to me being younger at the time (25, now 30...), but it soon became jarring.
    • My alternator starting making a weird noise which would have led to failure had it not been addressed when it had been, I'm no technical person but from what my mechanic told me was "something that was supposed to be straight, is bent at a 30-40 degree angle"
    • My coolant pump failed, which resulted in a nice white smoke billowing out of my hood, really stung the eyes. This was a big issue, not so much the failure, but rather the part that needed replacing was out of stock here in Asia, so I had to wait 3-4 weeks for it to be shipped from Europe.
    • Engine mounts starting cracking, replaced them all before it became an issue.
    • I've been through more than my fair share of tyres. This car really goads you into pushing it, and it's evident by the 4 sets of tyres I've been through in the past 5 years. (More my fault than anything)
    • Noticeable gear shift lag,
    • Wearing down of the fabric where the seatbelt dispenses on the B Pillar
    • Noticed issues when filling up the car with petrol, would take forever for the fuel to descend down into the tank, turned out to be an issue with the filter. Once changed, issues were gone

There are however, good things to say about it as well, non-exhaustive:
    • Fast standing acceleration
    • Amazing grip
    • Intoxicating exhaust note
    • precise handling
    • livable daily driver (when my spine was younger)
    • Performance seats were amazing, really hugged you during the corners. Feels more comfortable overall than the regular seats

For what it's worth, this car has been an amazing partner for the past half a decade. I’m more of a city driver rather than a highway cruiser, so for me, this car has been great for darting in and out of traffic and having more fun on my daily commute to work than what I was working with before. Providing the practicality of a 4door car but with sexy coupe curves. However, as I get older and my family begins to get larger — it feels like its time to move on to something else. Something else that is a little bit more forgiving to my spine.

However, the CLA45 continues to put a smile on my face whenever you'd floor it out of a corner. A combination of the speed and exhaust note just creates the perfect concoction of schoolboy giggles that never gets old.

The CLA45 is definitely a good introduction into the AMG family, you get everything that was previously only attainable in the more expensive variants but at a more affordable price. It seems that the current market segment that the CLA45 occupies has definitely evolved since it’s inception with competitors from both Audi and BMW throwing in the gauntlet and upping their game. It’s great to see the evolution of the car with the upcoming CLA35/45 model and to see how far it’s come in only a short few years.

Would I buy it again? At this age my back/wife would kill me.
    But if I was 25? In a heartbeat.
    Last edited by pringo; 04-21-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Seems like you are pulling an Ariana Grande "Thank U, Next" /jk

Congrats on the C63S - if you keep this trajectory going your next car in 5 years will be a AMG GT 4-door haha
    2015 CLA250C4 Sport+
    Aug 2015 Delivery

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SunsetCLA View Post
    Seems like you are pulling an Ariana Grande "Thank U, Next" /jk

Congrats on the C63S - if you keep this trajectory going your next car in 5 years will be a AMG GT 4-door haha
    haha, one can only hope!

Personally it's hard to move on to the respective competition, I'm not really a fan of the Audi and BMW approach to sporty mid-sized sedans. But who knows what will happen the next time round

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I actually bought mine when I was 25 also. My car will turn 5 years old in July. I wish I could afford a new c63s but I still love my CLA45. Good luck with your new car!

The only issue i've ever had with my CLA45 is the headlamp burnt out and the gas cap wouldn't close, both were fixed quickly under warranty. I have to say i'm surprised how reliable this car has been for a performance car that I constantly push.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Congrats pringo, please share specs and pics of the c63s!

Although I do not have the 45 but I picked up my cla250 when I was 22 and I agree with your statement early - mid 20s great car to own for a young working professional out of college. But once you hit dirty 30 you need that space and comfort .
    Last edited by ekim88; 04-24-2019 at 10:29 AM.
    2015 CLA250 4matic Calcite White, AMG Sports Plus Pkg, Premium Pkg, Premium Plus Pkg, Dark Ash Trim, Keyless Go.

Nov 2015 Delivery

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Heck I’m 44 and have been driving the CLA 250 for close to 5 years. Agreed on the ride comfort though. At first I was content with the stiff ride given the great handling I had. Now I can’t wait to trade it in and get something else. I convinced the dealer to give me an E class loaner when my car was being serviced and fell in love with it. Hopefully I’ll be in one pretty soon.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pringo View Post
    So after 5 years of ownership, I am moving on further into the AMG brand with a 2019 C63S - I thought it would be nice/cathartic for me to write up a short review for this magnificent beast of almost 5 years of partnership.

I got this car when I was 25, so my taste/preferences/desires for a car has greatly changed since then. This isn’t to detract how great of a car the CLA45 is, but more so how tastes and wants evolve. Please note that this is specific to the 2014 variant, as I am aware some of the issues I mention below have been fixed/remedied

The first year of ownership had been such an intoxicating year. On every start up, on every downshift burble, it put a smile onto my face. The looks were a hit or miss for most people, with most taking a liking rather than not. My previous car was an Audi A4(B8) 2.0, so this was a nice jump in performance/handling/sound. It definitely was the equivalent of a “Honeymoon” period at the start of every relationship where you don’t notice any faults, until a few months up to a year later when reality begins to set in.

There were a few gremlins here and there but wouldn’t say anything too severe. To name a few:
    • There would be a squeaking whenever I'd execute a low speed full lock right turn.
    • The ride comfort was "manageable" at first, I chalk this up to me being younger at the time (25, now 30...), but it soon became jarring.
    • My alternator starting making a weird noise which would have led to failure had it not been addressed when it had been, I'm no technical person but from what my mechanic told me was "something that was supposed to be straight, is bent at a 30-40 degree angle"
    • My coolant pump failed, which resulted in a nice white smoke billowing out of my hood, really stung the eyes. This was a big issue, not so much the failure, but rather the part that needed replacing was out of stock here in Asia, so I had to wait 3-4 weeks for it to be shipped from Europe.
    • Engine mounts starting cracking, replaced them all before it became an issue.
    • I've been through more than my fair share of tyres. This car really goads you into pushing it, and it's evident by the 4 sets of tyres I've been through in the past 5 years. (More my fault than anything)
    • Noticeable gear shift lag,
    • Wearing down of the fabric where the seatbelt dispenses on the B Pillar
    • Noticed issues when filling up the car with petrol, would take forever for the fuel to descend down into the tank, turned out to be an issue with the filter. Once changed, issues were gone

There are however, good things to say about it as well, non-exhaustive:
    • Fast standing acceleration
    • Amazing grip
    • Intoxicating exhaust note
    • precise handling
    • livable daily driver (when my spine was younger)
    • Performance seats were amazing, really hugged you during the corners. Feels more comfortable overall than the regular seats

For what it's worth, this car has been an amazing partner for the past half a decade. I’m more of a city driver rather than a highway cruiser, so for me, this car has been great for darting in and out of traffic and having more fun on my daily commute to work than what I was working with before. Providing the practicality of a 4door car but with sexy coupe curves. However, as I get older and my family begins to get larger – it feels like its time to move on to something else. Something else that is a little bit more forgiving to my spine.

However, the CLA45 continues to put a smile on my face whenever you'd floor it out of a corner. A combination of the speed and exhaust note just creates the perfect concoction of schoolboy giggles that never gets old.

The CLA45 is definitely a good introduction into the AMG family, you get everything that was previously only attainable in the more expensive variants but at a more affordable price. It seems that the current market segment that the CLA45 occupies has definitely evolved since it’s inception with competitors from both Audi and BMW throwing in the gauntlet and upping their game. It’s great to see the evolution of the car with the upcoming CLA35/45 model and to see how far it’s come in only a short few years.

Would I buy it again? At this age my back/wife would kill me.
    But if I was 25? In a heartbeat.
    On the fueling issue, are you referring to the fuel filter? What was the problem with the filter?

Also, how soon did the engine mounts start to crack?

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    not sure about other folks ... but i could be 80 and will still prefer the cla to the c, e, s ... can't feel the road in those other 3
    and test drives proved that ... i tossed the cla around like i did the c/e/s and even the (poor white knuckled) sales lady was surprised how well the cla sticks to the ground
    but of course the s is a hhheeeeeaaavy beast for any tire so we will forgive that one class, though the c/e should have cornered better
    then again i grew up with koni's set to max firm ... so the cla is kinda a soft rider comparatively ... >8-)

Member #
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm either going to stick with my CLA and get an E63S wagon 2024 for my 50th... or get an A45S / CLA45S next year depends on what MB brings to the table in the next few months.
    2014 CLA45 AMG (Jupiter Red, Night, Exhaust, Premium, MM, MBTex w/ Recaro Seats, BSA, AMG steering wheel) -
    Ordered Nov 2013; Delivered April 2014. Engine Builder: Sylvio Muller

2012 Subaru Forester
    2010 Volvo XC60
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
    1997 Toyota Camry
    1996 VW Jetta
    1989 Mercedes 560SL
    1986 Mercedes 560SEL
    1983 Mercedes 300D Turbodiesel

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    so far im keeping the cla45 as i love it like day 1 but i feel like im getting fed up with the costs of owning with maintenance , tires,gas vs vs.. i might switch to the dark side in the future (...tesla)
    2015 CLA 45 AMG
    2014 CLS 63 AMG S-Model

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links