Non-MB Owner Seeking MB CLA 45 AMG, but I have oh so many questions
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Non-MB Owner Seeking MB CLA 45 AMG, but I have oh so many questions within the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; Hello all, If you're reading this, thank you for taking the time. Any input is more information than I had going into this new purchase, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Non-MB Owner Seeking MB CLA 45 AMG, but I have oh so many questions

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hello all,

If you're reading this, thank you for taking the time. Any input is more information than I had going into this new purchase, so I truly appreciate it. I'm looking to buy a used CLA 45 AMG, and my searches in my price range ($0-$33,000) has brought me to find mostly ones in the 2014-2015 year range. I test drove a 2014 and I loved how quick it was off the line. BUT I'm pissed as this specific car doesn't have a backup camera or navigation. Every other CLA 45 AMG I have found does have these two features, but they're all over 500+ miles away and I'm not sure that I'm up for an 8-10 hour road trip just for a car. I love absolutely everything about the car but these two things and I'm wondering if I'm being a car snob? Last bit of my back story before my questions is that I've driven a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn for the last two years and this thing has every bell and whistle. Backup camera in a 8.4" touchscreen, park assist sensors, navigation, satellite radio, heated steering wheel & heated seats, auto-folding mirrors. These features may seem small and petty to most, but it has saved me frustration of doing 5-point turns in a crowded parking lot due to not knowing how far away from someone's bumper I am when backing out or just full on scraping/scratching up my bumper. I feel that in a car that was MSRP of over $45k brand new that I'm not asking too much. All that said, here's my few questions:

1) I've searched the interwebz and forums through and through and can't find any suggestions on approximate annual maintenance costs. Can anyone suggest any sites or share their experiences? Again, any and all feedback is appreciated.

2) These cars I'm finding are at the 30k mileage marker. Without personally calling down to the Mercedes Service Department, what kind of service intervals do AMGs generally have? My understanding is that every other service requires differential fluid, transmission fluid, etc, but I can't find anything online to go off of.

3) I know all of the benefits and pros of owning an AMG and this specific car. But I'm truly interested in learning the cons. What do y'all NOT like?

4) Knowing what you know from the thousands of miles some of you have driven them, what should I be looking for when buying a used AMG? I've read that 2014-2015 had some turbo/transmission issues but not a lot of detail from the forums I've read.

Sorry for the annoyingly long post, but I've basically fell in love with the car, and don't wanna screw myself for not doing homework. And I'm not finding any answers by simply googling, so here I am...thank you all again for taking the time to read & reply

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    The amg owners will chime in more on specifics though if you search keywords you may find quite a bit of bedtime reading

Though turbo / differential / coolant line leaks come to mind first to check ... bring a cheap borocam to poke around the engine and hunt for fluid trails
    Look for paint line markings on critical bolts ... if those were messed with there better be a good reason
    If you can hoist the chassis yank all 4 wheels hard and listen/feel for squeaks and klunks - should be dead silent
    Service and maintenance is pretty cheap (relatively) unless you like stealerships to do the work then its mind boggling
    IndyCLA45AMG likes this.
    European delivery 20140331

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tranny makes funny knocks time to time from 1 to 2 and back gears and that only issue i have, i got 70k miles on it. i got gla 45 , but its the same car mechanically.
    i would look for 2015 though, just because 14 was first year, you know how it is.
    mine also rattles in the rear hatch.
    other then that car is good.
    C
    IndyCLA45AMG likes this.
    2015 GLA45 AMR PERFORMANCE STG2+AMS INTAKE+TRS+BRONDEX DP 200CEL+HG MOTORSPORTS 2 PIECE ROTORS+OZ ULTRALEGGERA HTL 19X8 25MM & 20MM SPACERS+AMS TITANIUM STRUT BRACE

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caug View Post
    Tranny makes funny knocks time to time from 1 to 2 and back gears and that only issue i have, i got 70k miles on it. i got gla 45 , but its the same car mechanically.
    i would look for 2015 though, just because 14 was first year, you know how it is.
    mine also rattles in the rear hatch.
    other then that car is good.
    C
    I had that same exact thing first couple months of ownership slowing down 2 > 1. Went to dealer they did a transmission update. Hasn't happened again.
    IndyCLA45AMG likes this.
    2014 CLA45 AMG (Jupiter Red, Night, Exhaust, Premium, MM, MBTex w/ Recaro Seats, BSA, AMG steering wheel) -
    Ordered Nov 2013; Delivered April 2014. Engine Builder: Sylvio Muller

2012 Subaru Forester
    2010 Volvo XC60
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
    1997 Toyota Camry
    1996 VW Jetta
    1989 Mercedes 560SL
    1986 Mercedes 560SEL
    1983 Mercedes 300D Turbodiesel

Member #
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    First off welcome abroad!

I'm actually flirting with the idea of trading in this year. Mine has the features you are looking for and I live somewhat nearby (assuming you're in Indy). PM me and we can chat about your points.
    IndyCLA45AMG likes this.
    2014 CLA45 AMG (Jupiter Red, Night, Exhaust, Premium, MM, MBTex w/ Recaro Seats, BSA, AMG steering wheel) -

2012 Subaru Forester
    2010 Volvo XC60
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
    1997 Toyota Camry
    1996 VW Jetta
    1989 Mercedes 560SL
    1986 Mercedes 560SEL

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't know much about MY14, but with my 2019 model, adding nav required a $45 SD card off eBay. Easy, peazy. Plenty of after market back up camera options too.
    IndyCLA45AMG likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    you are one out the thousand.
    2015 GLA45 AMR PERFORMANCE STG2+AMS INTAKE+TRS+BRONDEX DP 200CEL+HG MOTORSPORTS 2 PIECE ROTORS+OZ ULTRALEGGERA HTL 19X8 25MM & 20MM SPACERS+AMS TITANIUM STRUT BRACE

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @Wrager - Great suggestion...I did actually look at the aftermarket backup cameras and personally didn't feel like doing more research on a different brands and pro/con reviews. Time is a valuable thing lol...but I felt I could find one already installed if I just showed a little bit of patience. Sure enough, I found a certified pre-owned in Lafayette that had every option I've been looking for, $2k cheaper than the ones I've been finding and basically flawless based on the pictures. Heading up there Monday night to check it out. Hoping it doesn't disappoint.

@Clallan - If I didn't have to trade in my truck, I would gladly meet you, but it's leased & I'm over mileage. Gonna have to do some serious negotiation at the dealership. What was the transmission update you referenced? Just a software update? Or did they replace certain parts?

@jmc @Caug Thank y'all for the input. I have watched some videos on these issues. Here's to hoping I don't experience these.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Hey Indy good luck with the potential new addition to your family
    European delivery 20140331

Member #
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    @Clallan - If I didn't have to trade in my truck, I would gladly meet you, but it's leased & I'm over mileage. Gonna have to do some serious negotiation at the dealership. What was the transmission update you referenced? Just a software update? Or did they replace certain parts?

Yes just a software update. Definitely test drive if it's a 2014-2015 model. monitor carefully as you're slowing to a stop in C or S modes make sure it's not jerky as it shifts down and doesn't do a loud thud underneath. If it does, have them look into the transmission update.

2012 Subaru Forester
    2010 Volvo XC60
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
    1997 Toyota Camry
    1996 VW Jetta
    1989 Mercedes 560SL
    1986 Mercedes 560SEL

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links