Drove past an m235 today
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Drove past an m235 today

This is a discussion on Drove past an m235 today within the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; It was some promo a car with BMW driving experience plastered all over it. I put it in sports mode opened her up a bit ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Drove past an m235 today

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Drove past an m235 today

It was some promo a car with BMW driving experience plastered all over it. I put it in sports mode opened her up a bit (still running it in) and went around him. Just wanted to here the crackle of the exhaust over the sound of his little toy car.

Ended up pullin up next to each other at lights just after and a third car next to us looks over and gave me a thumbs up.

Cla - 1 M235 - 0.
    Dlagana, Phazes and Rapidfirerob like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I test drove one of them a while back. Nice car. If it wasn't for the wife being a massive Mercedes fan, and hating BMWs (you know what they say, happy wife happy life) and the CLA looking so dam good I would have gotten one. I'm had a 135i coupe for about 3 and half years and the M235 was similar to that, but more refined. But they may have been due to the auto tranny in the M235, whereas my 135 was a manual. I went through 4 sets of rear tyres in less than 30K in that car.

The engine in those BMWs is fantastic, as is the auto gearbox. That thing felt very planted on the road as well. The 135 used to get loose close to the edge of its limits and under hard braking. The 235 felt way more stable and composed. Not sold on its looks however. Like most of the BMWs these days they all look a little awkward. As mush as I try to love their styling it just doesn't hit the mark for me. And they definitely don't come close to the CLA. I've always loved the original CLS styling and I think the CLA is even better looking again.

Also, the 235 is the same price, if not a little bit more once you added a couple of options, than the CLA45 in Australia, which is ridiculous given that it is not a true M car. If the 235 was a 5-10 grand cheaper then maybe I would have gone for it. But only if I could have talked the wife into it, which would have never happened
    Last edited by 1ill; 08-26-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It looks horrid. It's like a coupe that had been born prematurely. That rear is something only a mother could love and it sounded just as bad.
    Phazes likes this.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onshow View Post
    It looks horrid. It's like a coupe that had been born prematurely. That rear is something only a mother could love and it sounded just as bad.
    lol lol
    2016 C63S AMG IRIDIUM FULLY LOADED - WITH RECARO'S -
    -
    2012 MERCEDES C300 4MATIC SPORTS -
    old car 14 CLA45 AMG
    07 SUBARU STI
    02 Subaru wrx

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    As I said in the other thread, the ugly duckling unfortunately still has not fully out grow itself.

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    do you have the CLA45? If not the BMW M235, heck even the 228 will murder the CLA from a performance stand point. BMW's make great engines and the transmission is silky smooth. I do agree it's not a headturner of a car though. A big improvement over the 1 but looks like any other BMW. Agree the rear is a bit off but i wouldnt say it's hideous. Just nothing special in terms of design.

2014 CLA 250 | Cirrus White | Black MB Tex Interior | Premium Package | Pano Roof | Bi-Xenons | 18" Wheels | Spoiler | Black Ash Wood Trim | Illuminated Star

Member #
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    I test drove the 235 before buying the cla45. Not totally sure if I like the rear of the car and didn't care much for the interior. It does feel just as fast as the 45 IMO but at the end of the day, I don't care for 2 door cars. I also don't want to invest in a pair of sunglasses, grow a half beard and wear down the top of my steering wheel

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    agree on the interior of the BMW.. its so plane jane and looks like its from the 2000's. The gauges are horrible and boring. But it's a great driving machine Just not for me

2014 CLA 250 | Cirrus White | Black MB Tex Interior | Premium Package | Pano Roof | Bi-Xenons | 18" Wheels | Spoiler | Black Ash Wood Trim | Illuminated Star

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circa40 View Post
    I test drove the 235 before buying the cla45. Not totally sure if I like the rear of the car and didn't care much for the interior. It does feel just as fast as the 45 IMO but at the end of the day, I don't care for 2 door cars. I also don't want to invest in a pair of sunglasses, grow a half beard and wear down the top of my steering wheel
    The M235i steering wheel was so lame might as well wear it down at the top to make it more interesting.

The rest of the interior is just as boring.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    do you have the CLA45? If not the BMW M235, heck even the 228 will murder the CLA from a performance stand point. BMW's make great engines and the transmission is silky smooth. I do agree it's not a headturner of a car though. A big improvement over the 1 but looks like any other BMW. Agree the rear is a bit off but i wouldnt say it's hideous. Just nothing special in terms of design.
    "murder" is a pretty strong word! The 235 comes pretty darn close but not quite, . Less than a sec in it but the CLA was ahead. I'd say they'd be on par. Unless you like to drifting and rear wheel drive shenanigans.

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links