CLA250 Timing Marks
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

CLA250 Timing Marks

This is a discussion on CLA250 Timing Marks within the Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Model Specific Forums category; I am rebuilding the engine of 2016 CLA250. I am surprised to learn that this engine does not have an apparent timing marks in reference ...

Thread: CLA250 Timing Marks

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CLA250 Timing Marks

I am rebuilding the engine of 2016 CLA250. I am surprised to learn that this engine does not have an apparent timing marks in reference to the camshaft and the head and in reference to sprockets (adjusters) with each other. There is no marks at all at the head. I wonder if any of our members has knowledge as how to time the cam with no marks, or if any have a timing marks schematics. The dealer is no help as well as startek website. There is no literature available and that leave us (DYI) stranded. I would appreciate any assistance. I am interested to know the position of the cylinder No 1 cam lobes (intake and exhaust) position when the engine is at the TDC position. Thank you.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    https://youtu.be/lVUarrYSvPY

there is an early segment about aligning a mark on the crank pulley
    then there is a later segment after the cam sprockets are removed - there is a pointer and a flat on the cams facing up

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you JMC for your reply. I watched that video several times and it does not show a clear timing. The cam does have an arrow and the sprockets have several marks at different locations. One of these marks has 3 lines in vertical position and 3 dots beside them. The sprocket also have a mark in horizontal position. So, it is not clear if the arrow should align with what mark. Another thing, the video shows that that arrow is up (12 o'clock) for the intake cam, but it is down (6 o'clock) for the exhaust cam. This situation puts the lobes of the intake cam at 10 O'clock and the exhaust lobe at 3 o'clock. I am not sure if this make sense? all these setting are at TDC. I would appreciate if you have an explanation. They do not make Mercedes the way they used to.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    I aint gonna guess at where the cam lobes are gonna be, what with the vvt system etc. But at tdc hopefully something is static, like where the cam mark arrow and cam mark divot need to be ... dug around and found something for the M270 timing marks ... seems like both need to be at 12 oclock:

Name:  TimingMarks.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  110.0 KB

• Sponsored Links