Windows tinting
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Windows tinting

This is a discussion on Windows tinting within the Mercedes CLA Australia forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA World Forums category; Hi all, Just curious how much you have been quoted (either through MB or external sources) to have the CLA tinted. I was told that ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Windows tinting

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Windows tinting

Hi all,
    Just curious how much you have been quoted (either through MB or external sources) to have the CLA tinted. I was told that the rear windows come pre-tinted and only the front need to be done.

I have been quoted around $300 by one dealer, $395 by anther dealer which is where I had my order initially, and currently another dealer tried the $2400+ car protection scam with $695 for windows timing only. I told them I had been quoted less by others and they dropped the price to $495. I generally try and get the tinting done by the dealer as any damage to the door trim etc is their issue and they can't turn around and reject any warranty issues with the door/trim/windows.

Can anyone recommend a PROFESSIONAL tinter in Melbourne (preferably someone that has done the CLA or does work for dealers). Also, I wanted to find out what others have been quoted.

Cheers

Note that this is a thread for tinting in AUSTRALIA. Not US/UK/Europe etc...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Trims don't need to come off for tint on the cla. Just go tint a car. Much cheaper than the stealers!

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Don't know about the CLA and if they are different to other cars, but I had my golf gti and daughters Audi B6 done for $250 each from a professional window tinted in Adelaide. He did a great job. Not sure about cla200 and 250, but cla45 should only need front done, shouldn't be more than $100.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The rear windows are privacy tint only. That is, they provide no UV protection. I got the rear windows tinted with a clear UV tint and the front with 20 grade tint to try and blend it in with the rear tint. Cost me $325 through the books so I am sure you can get it cheaper for a cash job.
    Jayse likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A mate of mine took his CLA200 to Tint Professor and they told him he has to get the tint done by Mercedes Benz because of some panel in the door that may take the tint off. Any idea whats this all about?

He quoted him $250 for front two windows, but couldn't guarantee that it won't come off..
    NK 187 : .

Current:
    2014 Mercedes CLA45 AMG
    2012 BMW 328i Sedan
    2012 Ducati 848 EVO
    2010 Toyota Hilux SR5

Previous:
    2009 VW Golf R32
    2009 VW Passat 2.0 TDI
    2009 HSV Maloo R8

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ^ that right there is the definition of AMATEUR.
    n3mi and Jayse like this.
    2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 Cirrus White | Ash MB-Tex

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Price ranges anywhere from 200 to 500...
    Huper Optik is best tint IMO...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Regarding the panel in the door "that may take the tint off", no - it's not a "panel". The Window seal needs to be felted against the inside of the window in Mercedes vehicles. Otherwise your tint will be rubbed off/scratched. Seen it a ton of times... just have it done. The CLA may be different (I don't do the tinting at my shop to know what seals are so abusive and what seals aren't) but I had the felt done and I'm happy I did. Every C250 that we've had to repair the tint on from some other tint guy that didn't know that didn't have felt had rubbed off or scratched tint, FYI.
    Last edited by sirboom; 03-17-2014 at 11:20 AM.
    Traded-in at 8,500 miles: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250

My poor experience is on the forum. Good riddance. MB's attempt for my generation: failed with me.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirboom View Post
    Regarding the panel in the door "that may take the tint off", no - it's not a "panel". The Window seal needs to be felted against the inside of the window in Mercedes vehicles. Otherwise your tint will be rubbed off/scratched. Seen it a ton of times... just have it done. The CLA may be different (I don't do the tinting at my shop to know what seals are so abusive and what seals aren't) but I had the felt done and I'm happy I did. Every C250 that we've had to repair the tint on from some other tint guy that didn't know that didn't have felt had rubbed off or scratched tint, FYI.
    that's true for late 90s and early 00s MB models...
    w203, w220, etc had tint scratching issues...
    w204 and newer models don't have this problem...

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ50 View Post
    that's true for late 90s and early 00s MB models...
    w203, w220, etc had tint scratching issues...
    w204 and newer models don't have this problem...
    Okay. Well... than the 3 current generation C250s and 2012 E-class that came in with scratched tint in perfect vertical lines done by another tint shop that didn't use felt must have been from their cats... . Could have been crappy tint or 4 cases of abrasive material being stuck in the seal, could be extremely rare and just a fluke... I did the felt to avoid any chance of that considering 3M tin't ain't cheap, even with my discount, and I recommend to everyone to have it done. Not everyone does because it costs more money and I'm sure they're all going to be fine... but, what, $30 for the felt install isn't a deal breaker and nice piece of mind (of course... that's what they say about extended warranties that you never use, hahaha). And the tint guy isn't going to make any extra profit putting it on - it's actually more risk and more time for him/her with a negligible (if any) additional profit. At least we wouldn't sell it unless, in the shop's experience, it was proven necessary because it adds time to the job that could be used for another full job.
    Last edited by sirboom; 03-17-2014 at 11:49 AM.
    MJ50 likes this.
    Traded-in at 8,500 miles: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250

My poor experience is on the forum. Good riddance. MB's attempt for my generation: failed with me.

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links