Bigger sidewalls/profile
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Bigger sidewalls/profile

This is a discussion on Bigger sidewalls/profile within the CLA Wheels and Tires forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hi all, I have a 2014 CLA 250 4Matic with the sport package. My car currently has the 18” AMG rims with run flats (225/40 ...

Thread: Bigger sidewalls/profile

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bigger sidewalls/profile

Hi all,
    I have a 2014 CLA 250 4Matic with the sport package. My car currently has the 18” AMG rims with run flats (225/40 R18 92H). I am not a fan of the run flats due to the ride quality so going to switch to conventional tires hoping it will help the ride quality. My question is: I am planning on going with a slightly bigger sidewall/profile in order to have a bit more meat in the tires so it will also help the ride. Has anyone ever gone down this route? So basically doing a 225/45 R18 92H. So 45 instead of 40. Does anyone know if there is enough space? Hoping that the combination of the conventional tires and the wider sidewall will help the ride quality.

Member #
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I don't think it will change anything.

You need to go down in wheel size instead. 18 to 17 inch wheel.
    - Campagna T-Rex 2011
    - Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    well the new A uses 225/45-18 ... your speedo will be a tad off

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Great. Thanks for the feedback. I know this topic on ride comfort has been beaten to death, but I love my CLA so trying my best to make the ride as comfy as possible.

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I replaced the Bridgestone runflats with Michelin PSS, quickly replaced them with A/S 4, and intend to try a Michelin Grand Touring tire next if the clearances allow. It seems to me that a higher profile will deliver a smoother ride.
    Last edited by 2katman2; 04-04-2019 at 07:22 AM.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks 2katman2. I currently have Bridgestone runflats. They are marginally better than my previous runflats but not by much. I am sure the better solution is to go with smaller rims but that is a much bigger investment. Spoke to a friend that works at a dealer. He spoke to a tech and the tech told him that no one that he knows has ever done it but he thinks there is enough room to do it. He also said that the speedo would not be affected although I tend to agree more with @jmc that it will be affected by just a little bit.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The dealer should be able to correct your speedo after the tire change. It’s a simple perimeter change in the ecu.

Also, I’ve had a lot of trouble with run-flats on our CLA 250 4matic Ed. 1 with the AMC 18” wheels. ( see my thread about this). We changed from the OE Goodyear RFs to Continental RFs. Sure we’ve still had a few problems due to road quality and road hazards, but the ride is quieter and a little improved and have had much less problems than with the Goodyears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My tire shop tried a 45 sidewalk and it rubbed in the front. These were Toyo Proxes4

• Sponsored Links