HG Motorsports ECU tune- feedback
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on HG Motorsports ECU tune- feedback within the CLA Performance forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hey all, Just wanted to check in and say after a few months I'm absolutely loving my HG motorsports ECU tune. I've been a long ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: HG Motorsports ECU tune- feedback

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey all,

Just wanted to check in and say after a few months I'm absolutely loving my HG motorsports ECU tune. I've been a long time viewer of this board, just never a poster. I would highly recommend this option if your in the market for a Chip/piggyback. I live on the east coast and I sent my ECU to them and it was back to me within 72hrs. Real world driving, the car has perked up and feels honestly like a different car then with stock tune. Being an ECU tune there were no wires to route or splice is also nice.

I have had this tuneup on my car since early December and it has also been flawless in any and all weather we have had here on the east coast. I have no worries that the car will lean out in the extreme cold or grenade the motor with too much timing advance.

In comparison I had previously bought a carlsson piggyback from another member on this board that basically was DOA. That person kept telling me I was installing it wrong and basically wanted me to eat the cost of a crapped out unit. it left me with a really bad taste in my mouth for any ECU mods for the CLA.

HG Motorsports explained what they were going to do and left me feeling supported that if an issue did come about they would be there to help me, rather then just leave me on my own. That transparency and honestly is what sold me.

In summary HG motorsports =
    hgmotorsports and Santy35 like this.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Outstanding! Nice to get some real world feedback. Sorry about the bum CB unit from your private purchase though mine (new via Turbokits) is holding so far ... knock on wood!! 😊
    European delivery 20140331

Member #
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Name:  IMG_0472.JPG
Views: 724
Size:  117.4 KB Hg Motorsports hook me up so i send them my ecu today i should get it back with my intake soon!!!!
    hgmotorsports likes this.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    what differences can one expect when using a re-flashed ecu versus a piggyback (Carlsson, VR, Rebellion, etc)

Member #
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    what differences can one expect when using a re-flashed ecu versus a piggyback (Carlsson, VR, Rebellion, etc)
    There is a huge difference between a reflashed ECU and a piggyback. The piggyback is just tricking the engine into making more boost, the camshaft position, and one other parameter. The reflashed ECU can be adjusted to take advantage of every aspect of the car just as if Mercedes were originally tuning the car. So the vehicle can be optimized to take advantage of much more than what just the piggyback can do, and this results in a huge increase in performance for ECU flash over the piggyback ... Not to mention the ECU flash is better for the health of the vehicle. Most tunes for other platforms are actually ECU flashes not piggybacks, but since Mercedes encryption was so strong not many people were able to go the route of a full reflash; I believe HG Motorsports is the only company that has been successful thus far. The biggest disadvantage is that until HG can get slave cable reflash tool created, the reflash must be performed in house. This means unless you live in California you'll have to send them your vehicle ECU and be without a car for a short period of time . However from my understanding they are working on a slave cable for their new AND existing customers which is pretty amazing customer service. My car has the HG intake, a cat less downpipe, and the HG catback exhaust system, and with the ECU reflash my 250 is making around 310 HP. The car is nothing like stock, and the power delivery on a Reflash is 100 times smoother than from the piggy back I had before the reflash. HG is the best performance company making products for the CLA in my opinion.
    Last edited by Santy35; 02-13-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I also have the GFB diverter valve and when HG gets some time they are going to optimize the tune for that as well. I can keep you guys updated on the increased performance from that change as well.

Member #
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Sounds great ... but still a little skeptical about tweaking the ECU under warranty and when it's only 7 months old

Member #
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mav238 View Post
    Sounds great ... but still a little skeptical about tweaking the ECU under warranty and when it's only 7 months old
    That's totally fair, and a decision you would need to be completely comfortable with as well! That also an advantage with the piggyback, probably less chance of being detected for warranty purposes but I'm not really sure in that regard to be honest. It all depends on what you're looking to get/give up

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I had my car in a few weeks ago for service B. It's a completely stock sport +. For some reason they had to reflash the ecu to perform an update. The shop foreman called to warn me that if I had an aftermarket tune it would be erased, and did I want them to proceed. I don't have a tune, but I thought it was interesting he called to check.
    2015 CLA250 - Mountain Gray - Sport Plus - Premium - Multimedia - Panorama - BiXenon - Spoiler - Illuminated Star

Member #
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
    I had my car in a few weeks ago for service B. It's a completely stock sport +. For some reason they had to reflash the ecu to perform an update. The shop foreman called to warn me that if I had an aftermarket tune it would be erased, and did I want them to proceed. I don't have a tune, but I thought it was interesting he called to check.
    That's something I didn't think of, so does that mean the OP install by HG might be erased if his car had to have some updates done on the car?

• Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links