TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels! - Page 19
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels!

This is a discussion on TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels! within the CLA Performance forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by 07SGT kTurbo Jesse, I would love to have a VR tuner and YOUR intercooler. Yes, I am overly cautious. Re the difference ...

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: TurboKits.com Intercooler Upgrade - 20 HP and 23 Ft Lbs at the Wheels!

Supporting Vendor TurboKits.com's Avatar
    Member #
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 07SGT View Post
    kTurbo Jesse, I would love to have a VR tuner and YOUR intercooler. Yes, I am overly cautious. Re the difference between 34+ psi and 20 psi, are you just subtracting one bar?

I am sure that you and VR are trying to deliver the best possible product. Forgive an old racer that is hesitant when forged internals are not present.
    I think the confusion lies in the math. 34 PSIa = 20 PSI, they are the same. The normal atmosphere of our planet is 1bar, 14.5 PSI, so when rating pressure using an absolute scale, anything from 0 - 14.5 PSIa is not boost, it is not positive pressure. Anything over 14.5 PSIa is boost/positive pressure. or to put it in other terms, a boost gauge only shows 1 PSI when you are over the 14.5 PSIa mark. When car manufacturers tune MAP based cars, the sensors need to be able to accurately read vacuum and boost, which is why it is rated in absolute pressure and not positive pressure. When we say we are running 34+ PSIa, it does not mean we are running 34+ PSI from the turbo. Does that make sense? I think in my attempt to clarify the difference between PSIa and PSI I may have caused more confusion, sorry for that...
    TurboKits.com Sales Team
    Boost Your Horsepower
    860-676-2929
    [email protected]
    http://www.turbokits.com/Mercedes-Benz/CLA_250_-_C117/

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sweet...
    TurboKits.com likes this.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    This poor horse named PSI ... 😜

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    That is what I asked is if you were subtracting one bar (14.5) psi for normal atmospheric pressure. I think Turbo Kits.com is to be commended for offering the intercooler as a safe means of additional HP/TQ and to assist with making safer HP/TQ if a tuner is added.

VR has an excellent reputation. I have been speaking with a person there that is an old racer also. Great guy and I am very impressed with his attitude towards customer service and honesty.

I would think we would all agree that if you start making additions it would be safer if you had forged internals. That is all I am saying. 20 psi is a lot of boost for even stock. In many respects I wish I had a VR tuner and Turbo Kits intercooler.

Again, I commend Turbo Kits.com, Turbo Jesse and VR for making very high quality products.

Last edited by 07SGT; 07-12-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I would think we would all agree that if you start making additions it would be safer if you had forged internals. That is all I am saying.

Can you just change your sig to this so you can stop posting about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    omarlekphet likes this.
    2015 CLA250 - Mountain Gray - Sport Plus - Premium - Multimedia - Panorama - BiXenon - Spoiler - Illuminated Star

Member #
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Mea Culpa. I thought the purpose of a forum was to discuss openly and express opinions, and facts. Especially if not intended to hurt others. I find it hard to believe, but I could be wrong, that merely saying that an engine with forged internals is going to be safer when you increase boost. It seems all too often today, especially with the younger generations, that if one does not agree with someone you are immediately ostracized, labeled, and attacked merely for not agreeing. Guess what, there really are older people out there that have a lot more experience in a lot of areas, including having built racing engines, (small block Fords, Triumph Spitfires, Bug Eye Sprites) racing suspensions for SCCA racing and were quite successful. And guess what, we used forged internals, and they still do today. And the CLA 45 uses forged internals. Maybe some would disagree with MB engineers also.

The issue was previously raised about 34 psi and others on the site also agreed that was a real concern. I asked if the 34 included 1 bar and Turbo Kits Jesse clarified that, and the answer was 20 as I suspected.

As stated, I think Vivid Racing and Turbo Kits are doing an excellent job of providing high quality performance parts. Sorry if that offends someone also.

Again, Mea Culpa.
    Last edited by 07SGT; 07-13-2016 at 10:27 AM.

Supporting Vendor TurboKits.com's Avatar
    Member #
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Mea Culpa. I thought the purpose of a forum was to discuss openly and express opinions, and facts. Especially if not intended to hurt others. I find it hard to believe, but I could be wrong, that merely saying that an engine with forged internals is going to be safer when you increase boost. It seems all too often today, especially with the younger generations, that if one does not agree with someone you are immediately ostracized, labeled, and attacked merely for not agreeing. Guess what, there really are older people out there that have a lot more experience in a lot of areas, including having built racing engines, (small block Fords, Triumph Spitfires, Bug Eye Sprites) racing suspensions for SCCA racing and were quite successful. And guess what, we used forged internals, and they still do today. And the CLA 45 uses forged internals. Maybe some would disagree with MB engineers also.

The issue was previously raised about 34 psi and others on the site also agreed that was a real concern. I asked if the 34 included 1 bar and Turbo Kits Jesse clarified that, and the answer was 20 as I suspected.

As stated, I think Vivid Racing and Turbo Kits are doing an excellent job of providing high quality performance parts. Sorry if that offends someone also.

Again, Mea Culpa.

The AMG is a $25K option, we are not trying to recreate the AMGs price tag, we are trying to maximize the CLA in it's current form. Doing so will take risks, we take those risks first on our shop car, so that we have a good test bed before saying whether or not it will (may) be safe. We have hours and hours of DYNO time and thousands of miles on our CLA 250 with our current turbo upgrade, FMIC, downpipe, ECU tune, Exh, Etc. We have Omar in Oman, who see's 100*+ temps as his norm and he is testing basically the same set up, he has many DYNO hours and thousands of miles on his as well. Other than walking the walk and putting the parts on our own cars to test before sending them out to the masses, which we do, there is not really anything else we can do to change anyone's mind on whether it will be safe or not. Mods that we are developing have their risks, they also have huge rewards, anyone not looking to take those risks would be better off staying stock. As far as a guarantee, if anyone is looking for 350HP 4cyl MB with a guarantee (warranty), you'd be better of getting a new CLA45 AMG.

07GT no need to apologize, I know you are just keeping your concerns in the conversation, but I am running out of ways to answer... LOL. Not that I feel I have to answer you directly every-time, as I know you understand my side as well, but this stuff it out there, online forever, 10 years from now when someone gets a used CLA 250 and wants to mod it, he will also read over these threads, so I feel a moral obligation to respond publicly, even if I am repeating my stance over and over. Hey, at least I am not a flip flopper, maybe I should be a politician! LOL
    jmc likes this.
    TurboKits.com Sales Team
    Boost Your Horsepower
    860-676-2929
    [email protected]
    http://www.turbokits.com/Mercedes-Benz/CLA_250_-_C117/

Member #
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Turbo Jesse, no problems, and you are not eligible to be a politician unless you flip flop.

As stated when the issue of 34 psi was raised I did not think that was correct and asked you to clarify and you answered as I thought you would. The difference was one bar.

Yes it is risk v rewards. And I truly and sincerely wish everyone the most possible and safest returns. There is no animosity on my end. But I must admit I sense some animosity from others, but not you. Like I said, I think you, Turbo Kits.com and VR should be commended for providing high quality parts, and like you said, you test the products thoroughly before hand.

I remember some bad risks in the past on my part, trying to squeeze out just a few more hp and paid the price. That was then, this is now.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Mea Culpa. I thought the purpose of a forum was to discuss openly and express opinions, and facts......
    Again, Mea Culpa.
    Nah no uh uh ... No apologies required on this forum for stating opinions facts or otherwise. This is the USofA last time I checked!! 😊

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)

I remember some bad risks in the past on my part, trying to squeeze out just a few more hp and paid the price. That was then, this is now.
    Also dont forget the M270 even with cast parts has a lot of antifriction and axial momentum conservation tricks built into it which makes forged parts overengineering for its power class. Though if I start going past 35psiA I will need to reconsider those mods against forking out for a 45... 😜

• Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links