shifting behavior with remap
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

shifting behavior with remap

This is a discussion on shifting behavior with remap within the CLA Performance forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Curious to know what the effect is, if any, of a remap on shifting behavior of the cla45. One of the most frustrating aspects of ...

Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rick-F

Thread: shifting behavior with remap

  1. #1
    Regular neilman45amg's Avatar
    Member #
    7964
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    shifting behavior with remap

    Curious to know what the effect is, if any, of a remap on shifting behavior of the cla45. One of the most frustrating aspects of the car is the early upshifting in C mode. HG motorsports for example in one of their posts claims their remap improves this. What have others experienced? I'm not questioning M mode since I don't use it, and S mode on the other hand holds gears too long. Thanks!

  • #2
    Regular Rick-F's Avatar
    Member #
    9606
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Louisville, KY USA
    Posts
    452
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Have you "reset" the DCT yourself? It can make a difference.

    1) Get in car & shut the door.
    2) Turn car to On (do not start), by pressing twice on Start button- do not touch the brake.
    3) Turn off all lights/electronics
    3) Hold down gas pedal to floor.
    4) Wait 20+ seconds and then turn car Off by pressing the Start button once.
    5) Wait 20+ seconds continuing to hold down gas pedal to floor, release the gas pedal & don't touch anything...
    6) After car's systems go completely quiet (about 2-3 minutess), you can open the door and get out of the car-- or start your training drive

    For the ones that are using a key

    1) Turn off car and all lights/electronics
    2) Turn key 2 clicks (the one right before your engine gets turned on)
    3) Hold down gas pedal (all the way to the floor) for 20+ seconds
    4) Turn Key all the way back to the left (position before you pull it out)
    5) Wait 20+ seconds continuing to hold down gas pedal to floor, release the gas pedal & don't touch anything...
    6) After car system completely goes quiet (about 2-3 minutes), you can open the door .

    This will reset the shift points of the DCT; it will "learn" your driving style.and shift points will be reset. You should do this reset in a place where you can drive the car in a manner that will allow the DCT to adapt to your desired driving style over the next 40 shifts.


    I just have a 250 and my daily commute to work (and back) is just 3.5 miles in heavy traffic and lots of traffic lights. I reset my DCT every month. I does LEARN and I do not mind being in third gear by the time I clear an intersection during my normal daily commute-- but on weekends when i actually "drive" the car, the transmission can be a bit frustrating.
    Texas Dave likes this.
    2014 CLA250 | Cirrus White | GFB DV+ | Premium Package | CF Mirror Covers | CF Spoiler | Burl Walnut Trim | Illuminated Star | Black Vinyl Roof l Wrap | Sprint Booster

  • #3
    Pro Texas Dave's Avatar
    Member #
    7410
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Round Rock, Texas
    Posts
    2,046
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick-F View Post
    Have you "reset" the DCT yourself? It can make a difference.

    1) Get in car & shut the door.
    2) Turn car to On (do not start), by pressing twice on Start button- do not touch the brake.
    3) Turn off all lights/electronics
    3) Hold down gas pedal to floor.
    4) Wait 20+ seconds and then turn car Off by pressing the Start button once.
    5) Wait 20+ seconds continuing to hold down gas pedal to floor, release the gas pedal & don't touch anything...
    6) After car's systems go completely quiet (about 2-3 minutess), you can open the door and get out of the car-- or start your training drive

    For the ones that are using a key

    1) Turn off car and all lights/electronics
    2) Turn key 2 clicks (the one right before your engine gets turned on)
    3) Hold down gas pedal (all the way to the floor) for 20+ seconds
    4) Turn Key all the way back to the left (position before you pull it out)
    5) Wait 20+ seconds continuing to hold down gas pedal to floor, release the gas pedal & don't touch anything...
    6) After car system completely goes quiet (about 2-3 minutes), you can open the door .

    This will reset the shift points of the DCT; it will "learn" your driving style.and shift points will be reset. You should do this reset in a place where you can drive the car in a manner that will allow the DCT to adapt to your desired driving style over the next 40 shifts.


    I just have a 250 and my daily commute to work (and back) is just 3.5 miles in heavy traffic and lots of traffic lights. I reset my DCT every month. I does LEARN and I do not mind being in third gear by the time I clear an intersection during my normal daily commute-- but on weekends when i actually "drive" the car, the transmission can be a bit frustrating.
    I've only had to do this once, when I passed my break in period miles. I had driven only in E, and gently. The car was shifting like the gears were mired in molasses. After doing the reset, I aggressively drove, and sure enough, the transmission adapted. Now I only drive in S, and while I do have that awful hanging shift between 2nd and 3rd, I just pull on the right paddle at the appropriate time to get into 3rd. The reset is quick and easy, well worth the few minutes it takes to do it.
    2015 CLA Jupiter Red, premium,multi media, driver assistance, sport packages. walnut dash, Bi-xenon lights, and ambient lights, delivery, 12/14.
    2012 Hyundai Genesis, red
    2006 Cadillac DTS, bronze
    2004 Cadillac DTS, blue
    2002Cadillac SLS, bronze
    1998 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, red
    1996 Cadillac Sedan DeVile, green
    1990 Buick Buick Park Avenue, Blue
    1984 Buick LeSabre, silver
    1977 Ford LTD, green
    1975 Ford Gran Torino, blue
    1972 Pontiac Ventura, gold
    1960 Rambler Ambassador, white

  • Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements
     

  • #4
    jmc
    jmc is offline
    Ninja jmc's Avatar
    Member #
    7493
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    9,113
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Its like reteaching a little brat isnt it? 😊

  • #5
    Regular Rick-F's Avatar
    Member #
    9606
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Louisville, KY USA
    Posts
    452
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Sometimes teaching is not enough-- the little brat knows better, but he does awful stuff anyway. A real reprogram may be needed.

    Sometimes my DCT shifts badly-- it reminds me of teaching my teenage daughter to drive a stick shift: she'd push the clutch then"hunt" for the next gear and NOT take her foot off the gas-- I'd watch (and listen) in abject horror as the tach climbed to near red line before the shift was completed.
    2014 CLA250 | Cirrus White | GFB DV+ | Premium Package | CF Mirror Covers | CF Spoiler | Burl Walnut Trim | Illuminated Star | Black Vinyl Roof l Wrap | Sprint Booster

  • #6
    Regular neilman45amg's Avatar
    Member #
    7964
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions.

    Curious to hear from those with a remapped ecu 45 (not tuning box)...any feedback? Thanks!

  • #7
    Rookie digzy's Avatar
    Member #
    9817
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I couldn't find anything about the HG tune improving shifting? I'd like to know how as far as I know you need to remap the TCU otherwise the only difference in shifting is the adaptations I.e nothing to do with remapped ECU.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current: 2014 CLA45 AMG | Polar Silver | stock as a rock...for now
    Previous: 2010 Audi S3 | Phantom Black | Milltek Turboback | GIAC ECU

  • #8
    Regular neilman45amg's Avatar
    Member #
    7964
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    216
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digzy View Post
    I couldn't find anything about the HG tune improving shifting? I'd like to know how as far as I know you need to remap the TCU otherwise the only difference in shifting is the adaptations I.e nothing to do with remapped ECU.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I came across it recently but couldn't find it again. What I found though was their more detailed explanation of the tune for the 250 which I think is the same logic for the 45 tune.

    It doesn't really change the shifting behavior but their view is since you end up with more torque in each gear the upshifting isn't as bothersome since you have more power within each gear. Thing is the car is very good with downshifting when you gas it hard but as soon as you let you let up on the pedal you get an upshift. I'm sure there is merit to their logic but I don't see it as a huge benefit for me...perhaps I would feel differently if I actually tried it.

  • #9
    Rookie digzy's Avatar
    Member #
    9817
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    59
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neilman45amg View Post
    I came across it recently but couldn't find it again. What I found though was their more detailed explanation of the tune for the 250 which I think is the same logic for the 45 tune.

    It doesn't really change the shifting behavior but their view is since you end up with more torque in each gear the upshifting isn't as bothersome since you have more power within each gear. Thing is the car is very good with downshifting when you gas it hard but as soon as you let you let up on the pedal you get an upshift. I'm sure there is merit to their logic but I don't see it as a huge benefit for me...perhaps I would feel differently if I actually tried it.
    Oh right, very tenuous link there

    Look at rebellion, they have a plug and play TCU tune if you're interested in improving shifting - can be done without the ECU
    Current: 2014 CLA45 AMG | Polar Silver | stock as a rock...for now
    Previous: 2010 Audi S3 | Phantom Black | Milltek Turboback | GIAC ECU

  • Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 4
      Last Post: 11-04-2015, 02:26 PM
    2. Tint Scratching and DCT shifting
      By AMGCLA in forum CLA General Discussion
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 07-15-2015, 03:50 PM
    3. DCT shifting speed of CLA
      By dtc100 in forum CLA General Discussion
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 07-05-2015, 11:40 PM
    4. Replies: 2
      Last Post: 03-15-2015, 09:28 PM
    5. Rough Shifting
      By BlackMagic_CLA45 in forum Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 01-03-2014, 06:14 AM
    About Us
    We are a community dedicated to the all new Mercedes-Benz CLA & CLA45 AMG. We offer Benz CLA Pictures, Aftermarket Accessory discussion, Questions and Answers and much more from CLA Owners across the world. Thank you for visiting the best CLA Forum on the Internet.
    Join us
    Register
    If you woud like to join our community simply click the following registration link: Register @ MercedesCLA.org