Navitech 8" Android Solution Vs RoadNav 8" Android Solution - quick review - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Navitech 8" Android Solution Vs RoadNav 8" Android Solution - quick review

This is a discussion on Navitech 8" Android Solution Vs RoadNav 8" Android Solution - quick review within the CLA Interior Styling forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Nice review. I think neither of them is a mature product for our CLA. I would like to keep my Navitech screen without other modification ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Navitech 8" Android Solution Vs RoadNav 8" Android Solution - quick review

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice review.
    I think neither of them is a mature product for our CLA.

I would like to keep my Navitech screen without other modification for the rest of this year.

I may trade in my CLA45 for C63S next year.

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SR71AMG View Post
    Nice review.
    I think neither of them is a mature product for our CLA.

I would like to keep my Navitech screen without other modification for the rest of this year.

I may trade in my CLA45 for C63S next year.
    yeah with any aftermarket screen it's not going to be seamless or integrate perfectly like an OEM unit would. It does allow one to add a backup camera and also some additional functionality for relatively cheap. I'm just providing info for others to make their own decisions. Neither of these screens are by any means perfect and both have their flaws.

I do think Santy did a decent job with using a larger screen + Drive Kit Plus for an OEM like experience. But DKP has it's own issues though. I hate how it doesn't have pandora but instead it has some lesser known internet radio app. It also forces you to use Navigon by Garmin and you cant use google maps. I am Interested to see what else Navitech has in store for their next iteration but I'll probably move on to messing around with my Bimmer by then. :P

2014 CLA 250 | Cirrus White | Black MB Tex Interior | Premium Package | Pano Roof | Bi-Xenons | 18" Wheels | Spoiler | Black Ash Wood Trim | Illuminated Star

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hello guys.

Thank you for your great Review Yoshi! It's the best thread in the whole internet I've found yet. Unfortunately in german there is no forum and no information about this systems. I'am looking on the net since a few days and have some Questions without finding answers on myself yet.

The problem is my bad english and so I don't get some informations immediately .

Can I ask you something please?

1. It is right, that I can use with this android boxes the stock system too? Or replace the android system the original car stock functions?

2. I've read in this forum with harman kardon sound system I have to change some optical inputs? So it isn't really plug n play, right?

3. with manual shifting - I have to wire something or to braze for using the original rearview camera from mercedes? Or is this plug n play?

4. you write something about a resistive touch screen in the navitech unit. What does it mean and whats the difference between a capacitive touch screen? I can't translate this vocabs into german. Can you describe the difference a little bit?

5. Have you some information about the navitech screen? You've written something about an information, that navitech was planing to produce a unit with capacitive touch screen?

6. last question ;-) - is it possible to make android firmware updates on these units?

Thank yo very much and greetz from germany.

Cla250Driver
    DavidCLA250 likes this.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    OK @Yoshi you can step up now 😋
    Yoshi likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    See my answers below and thanks for calling my review the best thread in the whole internet.. Lol that is quite a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Cla250Driver View Post
    Hello guys.

Thank you for your great Review Yoshi! It's the best thread in the whole internet I've found yet. Unfortunately in german there is no forum and no information about this systems. I'am looking on the net since a few days and have some Questions without finding answers on myself yet.

The problem is my bad english and so I don't get some informations immediately .

Can I ask you something please?

1. It is right, that I can use with this android boxes the stock system too? Or replace the android system the original car stock functions? Yes, you can use this android box with the stock system. You toggle between the two by pressing the back button

2. I've read in this forum with harman kardon sound system I have to change some optical inputs? So it isn't really plug n play, right?
    For the roadnav unit yes you have to unplug two cables and connect it to the harness. The harness that comes with the device does not have the optical cable extension. It's very easy to do.

3. with manual shifting - I have to wire something or to braze for using the original rearview camera from mercedes? Or is this plug n play? Yes if you have are manual transmission adding a rear view camera is a lot more difficult. You have to use an external signal to trigger the camera. It's not plug and play like the auto. I don't have a manual so I can't help too much here.

4. you write something about a resistive touch screen in the navitech unit. What does it mean and whats the difference between a capacitive touch screen? I can't translate this vocabs into german. Can you describe the difference a little bit? Capacitive is far better than resistive. Resistive touch screen technology is old and just a thin layer film overlayed over an LCD screen. It does not really support multi touch so things like pinch to zoom on a map do not work well. Scrolling, zooming and other multi touch gestures normally do not work. It's old technology. Think about those old PDAs or old touch screen devices prior to Apple's iPhone. I'm not sure how old you are so you might not remember those. But capacitive touch screen is what you want.

5. Have you some information about the navitech screen? You've written something about an information, that navitech was planing to produce a unit with capacitive touch screen? They were, but I'm not sure what happened. I haven't contacted their CEO Ryan in quite some time. I got busy with life and a few forum members had a bad experience with his service

6. last question ;-) - is it possible to make android firmware updates on these units? It's possible but I wouldn't expect it and it's not something you can do without their support which is pretty much doesn't exist.

Thank yo very much and greetz from germany. You are welcome and welcome to the forum

Cla250Driver

2014 CLA 250 | Cirrus White | Black MB Tex Interior | Premium Package | Pano Roof | Bi-Xenons | 18" Wheels | Spoiler | Black Ash Wood Trim | Illuminated Star

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hello, I am new in this forum and came by searching through google and found this AMAZING REVIEW.
    My name is Qyles, I come from Spain and I have a C class w205 and a A-class (my gf's). SO you are wondering what am I doing here...
    I've been looking of a monitor upgrade for my 7' garmin screen WITH ANDROID SYSTEM, because I would like to install apps like Sygic maps, Waze, Spotify, Pandora or Torque.

I was wondering where you bought the RoadNav screen, @Yoshi , as I can't find it on the internet. Do you think it will fit on my w205 system?.

Thank you very much and sorry for bothering you.

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Qyles View Post
    Hello, I am new in this forum and came by searching through google and found this AMAZING REVIEW.
    My name is Qyles, I come from Spain and I have a C class w205 and a A-class (my gf's). SO you are wondering what am I doing here...
    I've been looking of a monitor upgrade for my 7' garmin screen WITH ANDROID SYSTEM, because I would like to install apps like Sygic maps, Waze, Spotify, Pandora or Torque.

I was wondering where you bought the RoadNav screen, @Yoshi , as I can't find it on the internet. Do you think it will fit on my w205 system?.

Thank you very much and sorry for bothering you.
    I came across the roadnav screen on Alibaba. If you buy through a Alibaba vendor be very cautious though. The support is near zero and most of the vendors have very broken English.

However, if you want to keep your 7" screen and a capacitive touch layer on top of it with android support then Navitech might have some solutions for you. You can check out their site Navitechus.com. Again, Ryan the owner also has a spotty history of support. Good luck.

Also, No the Roadnav screen I purchased will most likely not fit your W205. I believe they may have a version for the W205 though. Do a search.

Last edited by Yoshi; 08-25-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you very much for your quick reply. I have been searching the web because I would like an upgrade of the screen and, bades on your review, a capacitative screen.
    And I have no clue on where to find any good screen for my w205 and attach it an android interface.

Anyway, thank you very much.

Member #
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yoshi. What did you do with the screen that wasn't used? Did you get rid of it? If not, I'd love to buy it off of ya

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    @DavidCLA250 , sorry I sold the other screen.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links