Navitech 8" Android Solution Vs RoadNav 8" Android Solution - quick review
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Navitech 8" Android Solution Vs RoadNav 8" Android Solution - quick review within the CLA Interior Styling forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; All I thought this might help you guys out there if you are exploring these solutions. Here is a quick rundown, some pros and cons ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Navitech 8" Android Solution Vs RoadNav 8" Android Solution - quick review

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

All I thought this might help you guys out there if you are exploring these solutions. Here is a quick rundown, some pros and cons and comments regarding these two products. I probably lost $200 bucks in shipping with these devices but it was fun. My wife doesnt really care for this so I'm moving on to exploring what's available on my next car (BMW 4 series). Hope this helps everyone

Navitech Unit:
    The Navitech display is a large 8" 800 x 480 resolution display. It has the same aspect ratio (5:3) as the stock display which is 400 x 280. There are a few versions of display. The one I tried out was the base one with a external Navroid (Android box).

Build Quality - 8/10 -
    Build quality is pretty solid and close to stock. The silver trim around the display however is chrome instead of the matte silver look which doesnt match the rest of the interior if you look closely.

Installation -
    10/10 for the display - To install the display it's pretty easy. Just remove the two screws and pop in the two cables. Completely plug & play if you just want a larger display.
    3/10 for the Android Box - There are just too many wires and connections to consider if you want to add a android box. Also backup camera wiring and sound is not plug and play

Screen Quality - 7/10
    The screen quality is decent. The contrast / brightness is not as nice as the stock but the resolution certainly is better. The super large display is definitely very nice though.

Android Experience - 2/10
    Unfortunately for the Navitech unit it has a resistive touch screen instead of a capacitive touch screen. Swiping/zooming/multi-touch just doesnt work. This is ultimately the reason why I returned this unit and I'll say I cant quite recommend if if you want to use Android. Navitech CEO, did notify me they are working on a single integrated capacitive touch screen device that is due to release late this year.

---------------------
    RoadNav Unit

The Roadnav unit is also a 8" display (although their own website and seller from China said it was 7". It is indeed 8" both Johnny and myself measured it). It has a higher resolution than the Navitech unit at 1024 x 600. However the screen area is smaller than the Navitech display due to the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Build Quality - 7/10
    Pretty good quality as well. The plastics are solid and the bezel is matte silver like the rest of the dash. I think Navitech has a slightly smaller bezel though and bonus points to Navitech for truly being plug and play. The roadnav requires you replace the bracket. Which requires you remove the wood/aluminum trim. In addition the Roadnav bracket was designed for the A/B class without the woodtrim so you have to severely modify the bracket. I did a bit of observation and measurement before modifying it. The front face is actually the same height. Where it differs is the stock bracket has a curve that allows the wood trim to fit under. Also the wood trim has a tab that slots between the OEM bracket. This required me to dremel out the bottom and sides of this bracket. In the end it looks pretty much OEM and you cant see where I dremeled since it's on the bottom.

Install - 5/10
    I dont recommend any of these units if you are not comfortable with car electronics and taking apart your dash. The roadnav unit is mostly plug and play with the main harness it comes with but you have to remove the command unit, the vents, the wood trim the bracket, the center console and the glove box to do the full install. The nice thing is the parking guidelines / reverse signal are all pulled off the CAN bus/harness cable so no additional wire tapping is required like the Navitech unit. I got pretty adept at removing my dash so I can take the whole dash apart in 10 mins and do the whole install in an hour. But if its your first time expect to take all day.

Screen Quality -
    9/10 - For Android screens. The 1024 x 600 resolution really shines. Text / menus are super sharp and clear with the Android menu / interface. You can clearly tell the difference with the higher resolution over the Navitech display. Color/contract also seems to be better on this display.
    5/10 - For OEM menu interface. The up scaling cause the OEM text to look fuzzy. Also for some reason the display is also not as bright as the stock one when using the OEM interface. Both Displays lose the auto brightness sensor on the stock display.

Android Experience - 7/10
    The capacitive touch screen makes all the difference in the world. Swipes / navigating the menu is pretty easy. Where this unit falls a bit on its feet is the lack of RAM. It only comes with 512MB of ram vs 2GB on the Navitech external box. For youtube, yelp, google maps, etc it's fine though. There is a SD card slot on the side where you can use. There is also an app you can partition part of the SD card as RAM. I didn't try this but read good reviews online.

Tech Specs Comparison ----- -----
    Navitech ----- ----- Roadnav
    8" ----- ----- 8"
    800x480 ----- ----- 1024x600
    External Android ----- ----- Box Internal Android Box
    Android 4.4 ----- ----- Android 4.0
    Resistive Touch ----- ----- Capacitive Touch
    USB/SD Card ----- ----- 2 micro SD /USB (did no test USB)
    2GB RAM ----- ----- 512MB RAM
    Bluetooth ----- ----- Bluetooth? Website claims bluetooth but I did not see it Bluetooth? Website claims bluetooth but I did not see it

Overall Summary:
    It's clear the roadnav unit is the superior unit due to the capacitive touch screen, higher resolution and better color/contrast. I think the Navitech has a slightly better build quality since it truly looks more OEM, using the OEM bracket and plugs. Both displays are a lot more reflective than the stock OEM display and both displays make the stock OEM display fuzzy since they upscale. But I guess with these units you rarely have to go into the stock menus. I would operate mostly everything in android with Pandora, I Heard Radio, etc. Do I recommend these units? Hmm i would if you don't mind spending some time learning the menus. Unfortunately with either display you are pretty much on your own figuring things out. Navitech came with zero instructions while the Roadnav has some instruction but not really useful. You have to be know a bit of car wiring if you want to do a full install with backup camera. Also the only way I could get sound on both unit was to use the RCA cable to a 3.5mm jack to the glovebox. Anyways here are some pics of each display.

Navitech Pics:
    Chrome Bezel

External Android box

vs stock display

wires galore! this is when I was testing everything first.

Roadnav Pics:

This is the main menu. Notice the sharp resolution of the text. Nice thing about this menu is you can use the command knob to control and navigate all the meus. You can also use the touch screen if you choose. If you click on Car from here it takes you to the OEM menu or you can simply hold the back button for 2 seconds. The android icon on the bottom takes you to the normal Android menu

Main Android Menu - if you are famliar with android pretty self explanatory. All widgets and shortcuts work as normal

Pandora App

My modified bracket install - reminder the bracket that comes with it does not fit.

Stock Menu

Edit: Quick shout out to @johnnyc382 for being the first one to get the roadnav unit.

Last edited by Yoshi; 07-10-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    Ike_Jr and mjid like this.
    2014 CLA 250 | Cirrus White | Black MB Tex Interior | Premium Package | Pano Roof | Bi-Xenons | 18" Wheels | Spoiler | Black Ash Wood Trim | Illuminated Star

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting this really gave great insight. I'm pLanning to upgrade as well. Do you by chance have pics of the navitech menu?

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    yes I do somewhere. I'll try to upload them tonight. Nice thing about navitech menu is the super large icons which is nice in a car.

2014 CLA 250 | Cirrus White | Black MB Tex Interior | Premium Package | Pano Roof | Bi-Xenons | 18" Wheels | Spoiler | Black Ash Wood Trim | Illuminated Star

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    @Yoshi - thank you for your informative post. Will the Roadnav screen itself work just as an oem PNP replacement? And a large matte screen protector (for tablets) will do well as an antiglare option.

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I would not recommend the roadnav as a plug and play solution for the OEM menus. If that's all you want Navitech is the one to get.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yoshi ... Thanks for this thread and all the previous posts in other threads - you are very engaged and knowledgeable. I am looking for a OEM solution since I do not have the navigation system. I figure just upgrading to larger screen with a mirroring option would suffice. This way I can use Google Maps when traveling. I've been following all the posts about the NaviTech unit and I was leaning that way but I've read a few posts recently where some units are having glitches with the mirroring. Is this a better way to go until MB and Apple get their acts together and roll out CarPlay? Also, I thought about securing from a junk yard an Audio20 head unit with navigation as an option. What are your thoughts?

Member #
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Good !

Now, where can we can it at the cheapest price ? :P
    - Campagna T-Rex 2011
    - Mercedes CLA 45 AMG 4Matic 2015

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    OK Yoshi thanks

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjad20 View Post
    Yoshi ... Thanks for this thread and all the previous posts in other threads - you are very engaged and knowledgeable. I am looking for a OEM solution since I do not have the navigation system. I figure just upgrading to larger screen with a mirroring option would suffice. This way I can use Google Maps when traveling. I've been following all the posts about the NaviTech unit and I was leaning that way but I've read a few posts recently where some units are having glitches with the mirroring. Is this a better way to go until MB and Apple get their acts together and roll out CarPlay? Also, I thought about securing from a junk yard an Audio20 head unit with navigation as an option. What are your thoughts?
    Both Navitech and Roadnav allow you to use google maps either thru native android or mirroring. Unfortunately both options are not perfect and fully integrated flawlessly like a OEM solution.

Do you have becker pre wiring? If so that's the cheapest option for a no frills navigation.

You could try purchasing a OEM comand with navi and 7" screen but be prepared to do purchase the fan and other parts as well. You may also need a dealer to reset the security/memory so it works in your car. Might end up costing you a bit. There is a member on here that did it so search for his thread.

Good luck

Member #
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterCLA View Post
    Thanks for posting this really gave great insight. I'm pLanning to upgrade as well. Do you by chance have pics of the navitech menu?
    Here you go
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1747
Size:  744.1 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  668.0 KB

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links