Wireless phone charging dock DIY (30 minutes or less)
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Wireless phone charging dock DIY (30 minutes or less) within the CLA Interior Styling forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; It's not as much styling as it is an awesome life-improvement add on. I have an LG Nexus 4, an Android phone that has Qi ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By iode

Thread: Wireless phone charging dock DIY (30 minutes or less)

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not as much styling as it is an awesome life-improvement add on.

I have an LG Nexus 4, an Android phone that has Qi standard wireless charging, meaning it can be placed on any Qi charging mat and charge itself without ever having to fumble with cables, plug orientation, etc. I know some Cadillacs have wireless charging built into their cars, and I knew for sure that having a wireless charging pad in my CLA250 would be an amazing boost in convenience.

I cut a tennis ball in half and trimmed it down perfectly so that the charging orb wouldn't fall too deep into the cup holder. After about 30 minutes of meticulous trimming, I was able to get it perfectly such that the orb wouldn't protrude out too far and rotate around, yet it was far out enough so that the phone would only just slightly be levitating above the surroundings. So without further ado, here's a picture of it.

It's a really fast and simple DIY, and I'm sure many of you can find the Nexus 4 wireless charging orb on Ebay for cheap (since it's not officially sold by Google anymore). My friends are all pretty amazed at how sleek and integrated my technology is now. Now, I can just hop in, turn the key, plop my phone down, it charges and automatically connects via Bluetooth. No more wires, no more hassle. Just ooh's and aah's from my passengers.
    baadmon, Kalps and Bangkok Hearts like this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Very good idea I will be doing this for my g2 if that kind of base works with my phone and I think it does.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thats a great idea...
    and how did you manage to connect the charger?

BTW, is this the charger on ebay Qi Wireless Power Charging Charger ORB Inductive for Google Nexus 4 iPhone New | eBay ?

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Looks great,Super clean install! How did you run the wires? did you punch a hole to get a pass-thru for charging cable? or did you connect to cigarette lighter.. I dont see any cable.. can you post a few pics on this.
    Thanks,
    Dionisio~
    Quote Originally Posted by iode View Post
    It's not as much styling as it is an awesome life-improvement add on.

I have an LG Nexus 4, an Android phone that has Qi standard wireless charging, meaning it can be placed on any Qi charging mat and charge itself without ever having to fumble with cables, plug orientation, etc. I know some Cadillacs have wireless charging built into their cars, and I knew for sure that having a wireless charging pad in my CLA250 would be an amazing boost in convenience.

I cut a tennis ball in half and trimmed it down perfectly so that the charging orb wouldn't fall too deep into the cup holder. After about 30 minutes of meticulous trimming, I was able to get it perfectly such that the orb wouldn't protrude out too far and rotate around, yet it was far out enough so that the phone would only just slightly be levitating above the surroundings. So without further ado, here's a picture of it.

It's a really fast and simple DIY, and I'm sure many of you can find the Nexus 4 wireless charging orb on Ebay for cheap (since it's not officially sold by Google anymore). My friends are all pretty amazed at how sleek and integrated my technology is now. Now, I can just hop in, turn the key, plop my phone down, it charges and automatically connects via Bluetooth. No more wires, no more hassle. Just ooh's and aah's from my passengers.
    CLA 250, Cirrus White, Tan MB-Tex, premium 1 package, multimedia package, sport package, Xeon's, Rear spoiler Illuminated Star,Illuminated door sills, Dash Cam, Turbo Kits bov, VR Tuned ECU Tuning Box, Pedal Commander, Exhaust Modified. Cquartz Finest Applied.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by torcator View Post
    thats a great idea...
    and how did you manage to connect the charger?

BTW, is this the charger on ebay Qi Wireless Power Charging Charger ORB Inductive for Google Nexus 4 iPhone New | eBay ?
    Yes, that's the charger. Pretty lucky that the shape of that orb fits so perfectly in the cup holder too. Maybe the CLA designers had this in mind when sculpting the cup holders.
    CLA250: Cirrus white, Pano roof, Bixenons, black MBtex interior, black ash wood trim, prem+multi pkg
    Modifications: aluminum door pins, weathertech floor mats, integrated wireless phone charging mat

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionisio944 View Post
    Looks great,Super clean install! How did you run the wires? did you punch a hole to get a pass-thru for charging cable? or did you connect to cigarette lighter.. I dont see any cable.. can you post a few pics on this.
    Thanks,
    Dionisio~
    No drilling, didn't use the cigarette lighter, no damage or permanent modifications.

At work right now, so I can't post any pictures, but I can give a pretty detailed description of what I did. It's really quite simple.

The back of the charging orb uses a micro-USB port, so the cable I'm using is a micro-USB <-> standard-USB cable, which basically comes with any smartphone/tablet purchase nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised if some of you have dozens or more of these cables.
    Inside the elbow rest compartment is also a USB port. That's where I plugged the orb into. The cover of the elbow rest is designed to allow thin cables to route itself through the cover, without interfering with its normal opening and closing. So I simply did that with the cable.
    It comes out of the compartment, down into the second cupholder, hugging the bottom corner of the cup-well, and then goes into the cupholder underneath the charging orb. I made sure there was just enough slack to allow the compartment to slide back and forth still, and then I got some black electrical tape and taped down the portion of the cable that's hugging the corner of the second exposed cupholder.
    Not only does it do a good job holding it down, but it more or less renders the cable pretty much invisible due to the black/darkness of the bottom of the cupholder, not only that but the elbow rest is pretty much slid forward for 99% of the time anyway (like in my photo), so the cable is invisible any way you look at it. The tennis ball is also impossible to see as well, if that was a concern.

Feel free to let me know if you need more clarification in the form of pictures, I can snap some when I get home this evening. Good luck and have fun with this. It's one of the simplest, yet most elegant, and functional mods I've done to this car yet. Honestly looks like it's part of the car!
    CLA250: Cirrus white, Pano roof, Bixenons, black MBtex interior, black ash wood trim, prem+multi pkg
    Modifications: aluminum door pins, weathertech floor mats, integrated wireless phone charging mat

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Got it! thanks brotha! I know now what to do... Amazing enginuity from you.. lol.. Thanks so much for sharing.

Dionisio~

Quote Originally Posted by iode View Post
    No drilling, didn't use the cigarette lighter, no damage or permanent modifications.

At work right now, so I can't post any pictures, but I can give a pretty detailed description of what I did. It's really quite simple.

The back of the charging orb uses a micro-USB port, so the cable I'm using is a micro-USB <-> standard-USB cable, which basically comes with any smartphone/tablet purchase nowadays. I wouldn't be surprised if some of you have dozens or more of these cables.
    Inside the elbow rest compartment is also a USB port. That's where I plugged the orb into. The cover of the elbow rest is designed to allow thin cables to route itself through the cover, without interfering with its normal opening and closing. So I simply did that with the cable.
    It comes out of the compartment, down into the second cupholder, hugging the bottom corner of the cup-well, and then goes into the cupholder underneath the charging orb. I made sure there was just enough slack to allow the compartment to slide back and forth still, and then I got some black electrical tape and taped down the portion of the cable that's hugging the corner of the second exposed cupholder.
    Not only does it do a good job holding it down, but it more or less renders the cable pretty much invisible due to the black/darkness of the bottom of the cupholder, not only that but the elbow rest is pretty much slid forward for 99% of the time anyway (like in my photo), so the cable is invisible any way you look at it. The tennis ball is also impossible to see as well, if that was a concern.

Feel free to let me know if you need more clarification in the form of pictures, I can snap some when I get home this evening. Good luck and have fun with this. It's one of the simplest, yet most elegant, and functional mods I've done to this car yet. Honestly looks like it's part of the car!
    CLA 250, Cirrus White, Tan MB-Tex, premium 1 package, multimedia package, sport package, Xeon's, Rear spoiler Illuminated Star,Illuminated door sills, Dash Cam, Turbo Kits bov, VR Tuned ECU Tuning Box, Pedal Commander, Exhaust Modified. Cquartz Finest Applied.

• Sponsored Links