Air Vent disassembly HELP!!!
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Air Vent disassembly HELP!!!

This is a discussion on Air Vent disassembly HELP!!! within the CLA Interior Styling forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hello friends, since I've always helped when asked, maybe someone can throw me a bone. I purchased a video in motion and am looking to ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Air Vent disassembly HELP!!!

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Angry Air Vent disassembly HELP!!!

Hello friends, since I've always helped when asked, maybe someone can throw me a bone. I purchased a video in motion and am looking to do the install, it's straight forward but I am stuck on how to take off the air vents, there is a video to show you how to pry it off, but in doing it that way (incorrectly) you will damage the outer ring and leave indentations on the outer edge. I have the PDF from the dealer given to me from where I purchased it from. it shows the diagram using a MB tool that resembles a wire with the tip slightly bent. I made on using a coat hanger but only problem is that I can't get it to work. Question. Is the original tool different? It says to insert in hole and turn 90 degrees and its un-cliped. but it wont work. Is this tool that special that only that one will work?
    If someone has done this before can you tell me what i'm doing wrong, maybe post a video using tool and technic in how to use it.
    Thanks,
    Dionisio~
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 4.29.18 PM.jpg
Views: 3111
Size:  150.7 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2014-02-05 at 4.29.38 PM.jpg
Views: 2746
Size:  102.0 KB
    Last edited by dionisio944; 02-05-2014 at 02:38 PM.
    CLA 250, Cirrus White, Tan MB-Tex, premium 1 package, multimedia package, sport package, Xeon's, Rear spoiler Illuminated Star,Illuminated door sills, Dash Cam, Turbo Kits bov, VR Tuned ECU Tuning Box, Pedal Commander, Exhaust Modified. Cquartz Finest Applied.

Member #
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Did not see this and responded to your other post. Now definitely feeling those plastic tools won't help in this situation. Sorry I don't have my car to help. My only suggestion would be a camera scope if you have one. If not a very bright light inside of vent to light it up and hopefully see what's holding it in place. Keep us posted and good luck
    dionisio944 likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    After viewing pics I'm wondering if you'd have better luck with dental picks. The ones used for cars that is. Smaller gauge and sharper point may be able to hook clip better with that. Just thinking...

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I ordered these... maybe this will work out better.

Mercedes Stereo Radio Removal Remove Key Tool 8 Piece Set | eBay
    Pete likes this.
    CLA 250, Cirrus White, Tan MB-Tex, premium 1 package, multimedia package, sport package, Xeon's, Rear spoiler Illuminated Star,Illuminated door sills, Dash Cam, Turbo Kits bov, VR Tuned ECU Tuning Box, Pedal Commander, Exhaust Modified. Cquartz Finest Applied.

Member #
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Yea looks like the T-handled one may be the tool of choice, thanks again for another link

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Dionisio, really interested in the removal of the air vents as well. Inside the vent, there appears to be a small "ledge" at the bottom where the hook might fit. I assume that the tool is inserted, when the hook gets to that ledge the hook is rotated 90 degrees so that it can grab the inside of the vent. It appears you firmly pull the vent so that the flat spring hooks on the vent are compressed enough to allow the vent to release and be removed.

Please keep us informed on the success of the vent removal, the VIM wiring harness install, and the actual performance of the kit.

Thanks for sharing.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry I'm of no help here, but I'm very interested in this as well. I actually bid on the same VIM harness on e-bay. The videos floating around show that the cupholder and storage bin area trim need to be removed as well to push the head unit out, but since I have a 45 instead of a 250, I'm not sure if it's as easy removing the trim around the shifter. Please keep us all updated on your progress.

Member #
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bushido View Post
    since I have a 45 instead of a 250, I'm not sure if it's as easy removing the trim around the shifter. Please keep us all updated on your progress.
    Hadn't even thought of that. If I get mine installed before you I'll let ya know and vice versa please
    bushido likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I did decide to purchase the Mercedes vent removal tool, part number A140589023300. Here are some photos on how I used the tool to removed the air vents.

Name:  Vent Removal.jpg
Views: 3416
Size:  256.8 KB

If you look closely in the vent, you can see a small ledge on the inside bottom of the vent. You are trying to insert the hook on the tool into a small hole on the bottom. Insert the tool sideways until you reach this ledge, then rotate the tool 90 degrees to insert the hook into this small hole. Now pull back on the tool and give a firm tug and the vent should come out. Remove both outside vents and you then have access to screws that hold the radio head unit in place.

Hope this helps.

"Your mileage may vary"
    nharvey120 likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for the help.. I get my tool in mail today. Have a question. I tried making the hook with a hanger but it did not work... Is it because it is to thick to fit in said hole? Also the slot is about 2 inches from the outer ring. When inserting the tool, is the hook pointing up or down, or sideways before in enters the slot.. The when you turn 90 degrees is that clockwise?
    Thanks.
    Dionisio~

Sent from my iPad using Mercedes CLA Forum

• Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links