Aftermarket Battery replacement - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Aftermarket Battery replacement

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Battery replacement within the CLA Maintenance / Care / Detailing forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Wait a forum pickin second ..... The batteries are “due for replacement” is an interesting comment ... did someone sell you that line or are ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Aftermarket Battery replacement

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Wait a forum pickin second .....
    The batteries are “due for replacement” is an interesting comment ... did someone sell you that line or are functions failing and starting tougher??

BTW the primary battery can be swapped out with a bypass so you dont lose any settings but that secondary battery is a pain to get to and yanking that out may cause some system resets here and there (there was a thread on that)

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    The Varta F21 (oem unit) is specifically designed for start-stop (eco) systems ... I suppose others make something similar but I would stick with what works
    I did look for the newer lithium class car batteries ... though at >$1100 a pop I think I will stay with stock AGM batteries ... but they are 20lbs lighter 8-)
    What do you say with the bosch platinum AGM battery from Pepboys? Is it a decent battery for the CLA?
    For the aux battery aside from the dealership oem parts, what’s the best alternative aftermarket for that?

Thank you.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wait a forum pickin second .....
    The batteries are “due for replacement” is an interesting comment ... did someone sell you that line or are functions failing and starting tougher??

BTW the primary battery can be swapped out with a bypass so you dont lose any settings but that secondary battery is a pain to get to and yanking that out may cause some system resets here and there (there was a thread on that)
    My car started acting up. It didn’t start, had to jump start it. My car is starting still after the jump however it’s tougher now to start the car hence me saying it’s due for replacement.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mav238 View Post
    Have you actually checked the prices of the aftermarket batteries for the CLA?

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...arging/battery

The price for both the main and auxillary batteries comes close to $400!!! And I would not recommend getting some cheap versions, especially for the auxillary battery which provides power to some sensitive electrical systems, such as the auto engine on/off .

So for $432 installed price, I think that's a deal!

I just had mine changed , but it was under warranty because the dealer screwed up when they serviced my car, and left some systems running over the night, drained both batteries flat.
    I did check out the aftermarket batteries at autozone website. However I’m not sure if those are decent ones. You’re lucky that your car is still under warranty. Sadly I’m out of warranty.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    @nina87
    ok guess your batteries are starting to go ..... bummer

i also picked up a couple of those bosch agm main batteries from pepboys for a couple older cars ... love their 3yr roadside warranty
    if you can get the correct battery group size and same 80AH/800A capacity by all means its a good competitor to the oem varta battery
    the little secondary battery is a fiamm agm i believe and its like 12AH/170A capacity though if you can find one from bosch that should be good

also make sure the posts are oriented correctly ... sometimes "same looking" batteries can have + and - terminals swapped and that will be a fireworks fiasco
    Last edited by jmc; 11-03-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NLV45 View Post
    Ahhh, gotcha. I'm surprised they are charging you an installation labor fee. Batteries are not that hard to install, but that's why there called stealerships lol.
    As for high performance batteries it depends on what route you want to go (racing, high audio equipment or longer legivity). AGM batteries are a good alterantive for all around. Bosch makes a good one. I think there are some lithiumion batteries out there but I haven't looked into them. But be advised, they are expensive.
    For the aux battery as @jmc said, stick with the OEM.
    Thank you for the suggestion. Is the Bosch platinum AGM batteries from pepboys decent?

Member #
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nina87 View Post
    I did check out the aftermarket batteries at autozone website. However I’m not sure if those are decent ones. You’re lucky that your car is still under warranty. Sadly I’m out of warranty.
    Yeah, not sure too. But my point was that the price of aftermarket batteries are about the same as MB oem ones, so why not just buy the parts from oem parts at the dealership and have it installed by your local mechanic?

have you checked this out?

https://www.mboemparts.com/auto-part...t/battery-scat

Original factory parts at discounted prices.

The total cost is about $300 + shipping.
    NLV45 likes this.
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    @nina87
    ok guess your batteries are starting to go ..... bummer

i also picked up a couple of those bosch agm main batteries from pepboys for a couple older cars ... love their 4yr roadside warranty
    if you can get the correct battery group size and same 80AH/800A capacity by all means its a good competitor to the oem varta battery
    the little secondary battery is a fiamm agm i believe and its like 12AH/170A capacity though if you can find one from bosch that should be good

also make sure the posts are oriented correctly ... sometimes "same looking" batteries can have + and - terminals swapped and that will be a fireworks fiasco
    Noted. Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. I was actually looking at pepboys website it only says 48 free replacement warranty. Bummer 😔 i think they changed it because when I read the reviews they say it has 4 years warranty.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nina87 View Post
    Noted. Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. I was actually looking at pepboys website it only says 48 free replacement warranty. Bummer  i think they changed it because when I read the reviews they say it has 4 years warranty.
    https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...ance-batteries

4 year replacement / 3 year roadside

not too bad

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...ance-batteries

4 year replacement / 3 year roadside

not too bad
    Got it. Thank you. I’m not thinking straight. I miscalculated 48 month. Like duh! It’s 4 years. I thought it’s 2 yrs. lol. My bad.

• Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links