Aftermarket Battery replacement - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Aftermarket Battery replacement

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Battery replacement within the CLA Maintenance / Care / Detailing forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; I think @ mav238 has a good point with going with OEM batteries and having your local mechanic do the install. For the price of ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Aftermarket Battery replacement

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think @mav238 has a good point with going with OEM batteries and having your local mechanic do the install. For the price of the Bosch AGM battery you could get the dealer to install OEM.

But +1 for pepeboys Bosch AGM battery. In my previous car I've replaced the factory battery with that one when it gave up the ghost and never had a problem with the Bosch.
    2014 Northern Lights Violet CLA 45 AMG
    Distronic Plus, Blind spot, Lane assist, Park assist
    Mods: Gloss Black Wrap front vent spoiler, Xpel Ultimate (full front) paint protection, AMG Grill badge, AMG door pins, PTP Turbo Blanket, pedal commander

Certified Meguiar's level 1 & 2 enthusiast detailer

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Its close to thanksgiving ... i stole the bosch batteries from pepboys for cheap between their thanksgiving coupons and the various rebates
    Even online the vartas aint cheap and i never see deals on them
    Do it right and you just might get away with $250 for both batts and find some tech for $100 to install
    And voila!

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    @nina87
    sure enough there is some deal going on ... $166 for the bosch agm ... but *please* verify this is the correct group size ... better yet measure the oem battery size and reconfirm the + - post positions etc

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/838845/00742

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    @nina87
    sure enough there is some deal going on ... $166 for the bosch agm ... but *please* verify this is the correct group size ... better yet measure the oem battery size and reconfirm the + - post positions etc

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/838845/00742
    But if you could get the original oem AGM that comes with the car for far less, like $100 (I had posted a link perviously to a oem website that sells MB parts), why would you want to go to aftermarket, and needing to confirm fit and post positions???
    2015 CLA 250 cirrus white sports pkg, premium package, 18" AMG wheels

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mav238 View Post
    But if you could get the original oem AGM that comes with the car for far less, like $100 (I had posted a link perviously to a oem website that sells MB parts), why would you want to go to aftermarket, and needing to confirm fit and post positions???
    The oem is 200 + ship for 50lbs (per your link)
    Though if you do find the oem varta for $100 do let us know! Could use that battery for all sorts of stuff

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mav238 View Post
    Yeah, not sure too. But my point was that the price of aftermarket batteries are about the same as MB oem ones, so why not just buy the parts from oem parts at the dealership and have it installed by your local mechanic?

have you checked this out?

https://www.mboemparts.com/auto-part...t/battery-scat

Original factory parts at discounted prices.

The total cost is about $300 + shipping.
    Per the website posted the price for both batteries is $406 shipped. By the time they’re installed over $500.
    I have just started having battery problems on my 2014 CLA 250 Ed. 1. The dealer told me a while ago that the battery was getting weak and the ECO mode start/stop has not worked since. I assume once the battery voltage starts getting low this feature turns off? Anyway about to have to buy the new batteries. Wow it amazes me that it’s gonna cost over $500 to change bats. on this car Wilhelmina said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2burnout View Post
    Per the website posted the price for both batteries is $406 shipped. By the time they’re installed over $500.
    I have just started having battery problems on my 2014 CLA 250 Ed. 1. The dealer told me a while ago that the battery was getting weak and the ECO mode start/stop has not worked since. I assume once the battery voltage starts getting low this feature turns off? Anyway about to have to buy the new batteries. Wow it amazes me that it’s gonna cost over $500 to change bats. on this car Wilhelmina said and done.

Correct. A weak battery, albeit still able to cold-start the engine, will render the ECO start/stop disabled semi-permanently until the dealership resets the ECU with their ultra high tech Star Trek MB Star Diagnostic scanner. Simply charging the battery will not reactivate the ECO start/stop.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  100.7 KB
    Last edited by Picard; 06-20-2018 at 11:04 PM.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    If you shop around comparable batteries (eg Bosch platinum etc) are <$200 locally. If I ever have to get one it may be the Bosch as it comes with 3yr roadside and 4yr 100% replacement.
    Changing the main battery is not too bad ... just run an auxiliary ground wire to avoid screwing the brains up, and be careful with the explosive disconnector. But that darn battery is heavy and up against the firewall so get a back brace

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    If you shop around comparable batteries (eg Bosch platinum etc) are <$200 locally. If I ever have to get one it may be the Bosch as it comes with 3yr roadside and 4yr 100% replacement.
    Changing the main battery is not too bad ... just run an auxiliary ground wire to avoid screwing the brains up, and be careful with the explosive disconnector. But that darn battery is heavy and up against the firewall so get a back brace
    Please explain this ground wire procedure. Are you saying if you just simply disconnect the battery in this car it will damage something?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Correct. A weak battery, albeit still able to cold-start the engine, will render the ECO start/stop disabled semi-permanently until the dealership resets the ECU with their ultra high tech Star Trek MB Star Diagnostic scanner. Simply charging the battery will not reactivate the ECO start/stop.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  100.7 KB
    So once the main battery is changed the Eco start/start will not resume its function?

• Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links