Coolant temp sensor location? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Coolant temp sensor location?

This is a discussion on Coolant temp sensor location? within the CLA Maintenance / Care / Detailing forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by opelz17 I would like to add, up to MY 16 the water pumps are known issues due to as-needed coolant supply controlled ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Coolant temp sensor location?

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by opelz17 View Post
    I would like to add, up to MY 16 the water pumps are known issues due to as-needed coolant supply controlled by vacuum pressure. The arm in the diaphragm goes bad and will cause really quick high temperatures. If the water pump had been replaced it will need a thermostat as well. I attempted to attach a picture but it was not possible. The part number for the bolt is as follows; N910143006001. The coolant temperature sensor can be found under engine major assembly, group 15 for engine electrical and subgroup 120 (page 2) for switches, senders, etc..
    I'm going back to MB on Sept .17 for my erratic temp reading (up and down and up). Hopefully MB of New Rochelle solves this for me.
    CLA250 C4, Northern Lights Violet, Illuminated Star, Bi-Xenon Headlights w/ LED Taillight, R31, All-Weather Tires, Rear Spoiler, Expel Clear Wrap, Suntek Clear Wrap, MB-Tex Ash Grey, CF Dash Kit, Steel Door Pins, WeatherTech Floorliners, Euro Alloy Pedals

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    On newer systems some deviation should be permitted (via tech documents and dealer technical support documents). An ICM (Instrument cluster module) update should be performed. On top of that, a coolant system check should be performed (leak test using proper equipment) and a thermostat performance can be checked via SDS (MB systems diagnosis). If the check passes system specifications a coolant pump diagnosis via ME actuations can be performed where it checks for proper coolant pump actuator arm operation. If it fails the coolant pump actuation it should receive a new water pump, test drive for proper operation and if temperature still rises quickly a thermostat should be replaced. Any reputable tech would agree that due to the variable ball-valve thermostat should be replaced as well. If you have a check engine light for thermostat it should receive a new thermostat, however, with proper knowledge to how the as-needed coolant and oil supply system in the m270 DIH is designed if the new water pump does not fix the issue a new thermostat will (simply how the system operates and how they function together).
    Last edited by opelz17; 09-06-2018 at 08:03 AM.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    @opelz17
    Thank you so much for the service and tech details.
    Since for <2016 it is a “known” issue for the water pumps, might you have a service bulletin number for reference? I would like to read about it.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Coolant temp sensor location

Being the nature of the repair and the current status of my certification level I cannot provide internal technical document numbers ( I hope you understand). All I can say is that if you are under warranty you should consult with your nearest MB dealer, request a loaner vehicle and request documentation of your diagnosis and repair (which all can be provided as hard copy print outs via the SDS). The thermostat test should represent a graph and should remain below the threshold. If you are out of warranty be prepared to either have a very frustrating/costly repair or about a week turnaround time for proper diagnosis and repair of your coolant system. I have performed many, if not dozens, of your exact complaint and have analyzed that if the water pump does not fix your specific concern that the thermostat will. An SDS short/quick test will verify this information and you should have a fairly quick turnaround time being that parts are fairly available. Please be considerate that warranty will only accept specific repair solutions based on the fault codes that Motor Electronics reports. Therefore, if you have a code for mixture adaptation, a systems component completely irrelevant (such as a communication with transmission controller module) will not be accepted. Please consider the solutions I have provided and if any diagnosis information is needed please contact me.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    An SDS short/quick test will verify this information and you should have a fairly quick turnaround time being that parts are fairly available.
    Well then if I may ask...
    What module (or quick test section) should I look at?
    As for that “graph” what is the selection path in Xentry?

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Under motor electronics (n3/10), go to guided tests and test the coolant thermostat. Make sure the coolant temperature is below 40C. The coolant fan will run at 100% until a specified temperature is reached. The graph will provide a clear illustration of what the coolant temperature should rise to and what the coolant system performance currently is.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Under motor electronics (n3/10), go to guided tests and test the coolant thermostat. Make sure the coolant temperature is below 40C. The coolant fan will run at 100% until a specified temperature is reached. The graph will provide a clear illustration of what the coolant temperature should rise to and what the coolant system performance currently is.
    Appreciate the tip!
    Will see if I can give it a go ... and hopefully not brick the system

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links