Service B0 needed soon, what does this service need?
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Service B0 needed soon, what does this service need? within the CLA Maintenance / Care / Detailing forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; I've had my service A done at my local MB dealer and it was around $400 dollars. Now I need my service B0 done in ...

Thread: Service B0 needed soon, what does this service need?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've had my service A done at my local MB dealer and it was around $400 dollars. Now I need my service B0 done in the next 1000 miles. What exactly needs to be changed in a service B0? I called my service adviser he said It'll be $945 (-/+) and 'It's a big service but nothing major' - HUH?!?!?

I people have told me to go to an independent mechanic who knows how to work on Mercedes vehicles, but the places I've called have said that they can change only the basic things and the service message will have to be reset by MB themselves. I don't know of anyone who can help me out.

I really need to stop commuting so much in my car :| I'm currently at 32,000 miles.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by richieetorres; 11-12-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Service B is Service A with brake fluid flush. It’s highway robbery what they charge for these maintenance services.

Here is a description of A/B service.

https://www.mbloveland.com/blogs/747...rvice-a-and-b/
    2014 Mercedes CLA250 4Matic

Member #
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Crazy Maintenance costs....

To give you an idea of how much money the dealerships make with these visits, here's what I spend to do it myself: Canadian dollars, CLA 45 AMG
    Service A;
    I purchase Mobil 1 synthetic oil on sale, $40.00
    I purchase a filter from the dealer,(for warranty protection) $30.00
    Cabin air filter on Amazon for about $30.00
    I purchased a cleanable engine filter, so i never buy the OEM disposables.
    I own a oil fluid extraction pump ( I never have to drain from the plug, just stick the hose down the dipstick and suck it out)
    I can do this work in 20-25 minutes.
    Total of $100.00

Service B,
    Just add a 1 Litre bottle of brake fluid ,$20.00 and add it to the above supplies.
    Probably 1.5 hrs of my time, with the brake fluid flush, and oil change

It is almost criminal what the dealerships get away with!
    There are some great videos of all these tasks on the web,
    I hope this shows just how much money the dealerships are making.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHC6Fixer View Post
    To give you an idea of how much money the dealerships make with these visits, here's what I spend to do it myself: Canadian dollars, CLA 45 AMG
    Service A;
    I purchase Mobil 1 synthetic oil on sale, $40.00
    I purchase a filter from the dealer,(for warranty protection) $30.00
    Cabin air filter on Amazon for about $30.00
    I purchased a cleanable engine filter, so i never buy the OEM disposables.
    I own a oil fluid extraction pump ( I never have to drain from the plug, just stick the hose down the dipstick and suck it out)
    I can do this work in 20-25 minutes.
    Total of $100.00

Service B,
    Just add a 1 Litre bottle of brake fluid ,$20.00 and add it to the above supplies.
    Probably 1.5 hrs of my time, with the brake fluid flush, and oil change

It is almost criminal what the dealerships get away with!
    There are some great videos of all these tasks on the web,
    I hope this shows just how much money the dealerships are making.
    How do you reset the maintenance reminder? What year is yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 CLA 250
    Sport Package, Premium Package I and Bi-Xeon Headlights and LED Tails

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    2014 Mercedes CLA250 4Matic

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richieetorres View Post
    I've had my service A done at my local MB dealer and it was around $400 dollars. Now I need my service B0 done in the next 1000 miles. What exactly needs to be changed in a service B0? I called my service adviser he said It'll be $945 (-/+) and 'It's a big service but nothing major' - HUH?!?!?

I people have told me to go to an independent mechanic who knows how to work on Mercedes vehicles, but the places I've called have said that they can change only the basic things and the service message will have to be reset by MB themselves. I don't know of anyone who can help me out.

I really need to stop commuting so much in my car :| I'm currently at 32,000 miles.
    Thanks!
    Service B is basically just Service A plus a brake fluid flush and a few additional checks. Mercedes makes a maintenance manual available for all vehicles so you can see what exactly is recommended for each interval (in 1 yr or 10,000 mile increments): https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servi...enance_manuals . You absolutely want to do the brake fluid flush, and that's based on time not mileage — brake fluid absorbs water over time, and becomes less effective and can eventually degrade your brake components. Do it every two years.

Even if you decide to get a full "Service B" (which includes lots of useless/redundant things you can skip or do at home) rather than requesting individual services, you're far better off to find a reputable shop that works on German cars to perform the whole service. I totally understand not wanting to do things with fluids etc. at home, but it's completely unnecessary to go to the dealer for this. (And if you find a really cool shop, they'll even be fine with you bringing your own components — that way you can shop around and be very specific about what oil, fluids, filters, etc. go into your car but let a professional handle the installation.)

Even if you just walk into an independent shop and let them charge you for everything, you're probably out of there with Service B for ~$450 (+/-$100 based on local labor rates). That's expensive compared to DIY, but skilled labor is costly and it all comes down to what your time is worth. Even still, that's hundreds less than the dealer quoted you.

What I've done thus far is let a shop handle the messy stuff like oil changes and brake fluid flushes because I live in a condo and it's just a PITA to deal with, but check out the maintenance manual and do my own work for the simpler things like all of the component checks, filter changes, etc. – it's ridiculous to pay $75/hr+ labor rates (with a minimum 0.5 hr) for basic filter changes and checks. This approach is a good balance between cost and hassle, IMO, unless you're really going bargain hunting or love to DIY and have the facilities (i.e. garage!) to do so.
    Last edited by martonikaj; 11-14-2018 at 05:02 PM.

• Sponsored Links