Safe to Drive Without Bulb Installed?
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

This is a discussion on Safe to Drive Without Bulb Installed? within the CLA Maintenance / Care / Detailing forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Alright, this is a completely new world for me in that I decided to replace the low beam myself. I was able to remove the ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By traxem
  • 1 Post By martonikaj
  • 1 Post By JohnDoe57

Thread: Safe to Drive Without Bulb Installed?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright, this is a completely new world for me in that I decided to replace the low beam myself. I was able to remove the bulb but unfortunately, I was also a little too aggressive and the bulb shattered upon removal. Whatever, the bulb was dead anyhow. Then to top it off, the new bulbs don't even fit so I plan to return them. But now my question is, can I still drive without the bulb installed? Would there be an electrical mishap if I were to drive without anything installed in the low beam port? Or should I just reinstall the broken / shattered bulb? I ordered a stock bulb that will be arriving this week.

Thanks.

MODEL: CLA250
    YEAR: 2014

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe57 View Post
    Alright, this is a completely new world for me in that I decided to replace the low beam myself. I was able to remove the bulb but unfortunately, I was also a little too aggressive and the bulb shattered upon removal. Whatever, the bulb was dead anyhow. Then to top it off, the new bulbs don't even fit so I plan to return them. But now my question is, can I still drive without the bulb installed? Would there be an electrical mishap if I were to drive without anything installed in the low beam port? Or should I just reinstall the broken / shattered bulb? I ordered a stock bulb that will be arriving this week.

Thanks.

MODEL: CLA250
    YEAR: 2014
    Don’t reinstall the broken/shattered bulb. You can drive without a bulb installed without any issue (other than having no lights).
    JohnDoe57 likes this.
    2014 Mercedes CLA250 4Matic

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Excellent! Thanks for the speedy response!

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just run it empty. Other than the dash telling you there's a missing bulb, there won't be any issue. Always make sure to put back whatever cover or protection is on there normally — don't want to run with the headlight enclosure open, just in case debris gets up in the area.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
    Always make sure to put back whatever cover or protection is on there normally – don't want to run with the headlight enclosure open, just in case debris gets up in the area.
    Well I just replaced the bulb (sadly it's more yellow compared to driver's side) but the door that slides down in the wheel well came out of it's track and fell down below the engine. The cap that protects the light port is still there. Doesn't look like there's anyway to easily get that sliding door back. Any suggestions?

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Well I just replaced the bulb (sadly it's more yellow compared to driver's side) but the door that slides down in the wheel well came out of it's track and fell down below the engine. The cap that protects the light port is still there. Doesn't look like there's anyway to easily get that sliding door back. Any suggestions?
    There's an under-tray that can be removed with a handful of screws from underneath the car. You won't have to remove it fully ... just a handful of the screws to get enough of an opening to grab the cover.

Those headlight access covers are really annoying to deal with. But you really want to have them, since they're protecting the inside of the bumper area from water and debris from your wheels – don't drive around much without those covers; you're just asking for trouble later on.

The best way to get them 100% in the slots and secured is to push it all the way through, hold it by the top, and drag it up from the bottom through the little slots fully. Then at the top, you wiggle it until the latch gets in the hole, and make sure to turn the little lock mechanism. I just redid both of mine while I had my wheels off to do a brake job because they had both come loose from their slots. Bad design, really, but just give it a few minutes and you can get them both back in without issue.
    Last edited by martonikaj; 12-08-2018 at 12:55 AM.
    JohnDoe57 likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
    You won't have to remove it fully ... just a handful of the screws to get enough of an opening to grab the cover.
    Thanks for the help! I was about to loosen the screws when I realized that the under-tray was partially peeled back near the wheel well. I used a long stick to grab the door and get it out. I was able to re-seat it in the track on the first try too! Thanks again!
    martonikaj likes this.

• Sponsored Links