Service B or 20k miles
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Service B or 20k miles

This is a discussion on Service B or 20k miles within the CLA Maintenance / Care / Detailing forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Hi everyone! I have a 2017 cla 250 and has almost 20k miles on it. I went to the dealer and they are charging me ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Service B or 20k miles

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Service B or 20k miles

Hi everyone! I have a 2017 cla 250 and has almost 20k miles on it. I went to the dealer and they are charging me $608 for the service. Everything on the service B I can do it except the brake fluid flush. My question is, is it really needs a brake fluid flush? The car is only 2 yrs old. And if I change the cabin filter or air filter do I need to reset the filter percentage ? Thanks.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micglennona View Post
    Hi everyone! I have a 2017 cla 250 and has almost 20k miles on it. I went to the dealer and they are charging me $608 for the service. Everything on the service B I can do it except the brake fluid flush. My question is, is it really needs a brake fluid flush? The car is only 2 yrs old.
    Great choice to do the service yourself! It's totally manageable on your own. But all of this info has been heavily discussed in this forum. Dozens of pages of information can be found with a quick browse (or search!). I would recommend looking at that.

In short: yes, you do want to flush your brake fluid. Brake fluid should be replaced on a time interval, not based on mileage. Recommended interval is every 2 years, because brake fluid absorbs water over time and becomes less effective. Can you get away with 3 or 4 years on that fluid? Probably just fine. But I wouldn't recommend it. A good independent shop can probably do a brake fluid flush for about $120-150, depending on labor rates. Perhaps you'll be more inclined to get that done if you just saved hundreds doing the rest of the service on your own .

And if I change the cabin filter or air filter do I need to reset the filter percentage ? Thanks.
    What do you mean by filter percentage? Everything should be reset fully all together when you reset the maintenance interval information in the dash after performing all of your Service B work. The filters are super easy to replace, btw. A few torx screws for the engine filter, and just a panel and a couple clamps for the cabin filter. And since you'll be replacing these items like clockwork every 1yr/10k miles, I'd recommend using something like FCP Euro, which does lifetime replacements — just pay shipping, and you'll get new filters every year.
    Rapidfirerob likes this.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)

Service B or 20k miles

Just love the fcp deal

Wait ... filters too???

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Just love the fcp deal

Wait ... filters too???
    Filters too. OEM or otherwise. Only thing that matters is that you replace it with the exact same part.

I decided to just go OEM since I'm already getting a great deal with the free replacements. Make that replacement program a little more valuable! Cabin filter $56 + engine filter $37 — not cheap, but dramatically cheaper overall after that first replacement. Could even go crazy and do them every 6 months if you really wanted to keep things squeaky clean .

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info.
    martonikaj likes this.

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martonikaj View Post
    Filters too. OEM or otherwise. Only thing that matters is that you replace it with the exact same part.

I decided to just go OEM since I'm already getting a great deal with the free replacements. Make that replacement program a little more valuable! Cabin filter $56 + engine filter $37 — not cheap, but dramatically cheaper overall after that first replacement. Could even go crazy and do them every 6 months if you really wanted to keep things squeaky clean .
    Good to know ... about to use a new mann precious cabin filter ... if the car ends up staying around longer will surely bug fcp

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Gonna piggyback and ask a dumb question, My car is telling me i'm due for service B now. i got my car with 9.9k miles and they had just done the first service on it
    i've only put ~7.5k miles on it since last feb as i pretty much go to work and home, most days. (30ish miles round trip) round up to 18k miles total.

Can i wait a few weeks on that, since i haven't put the full 10kmiles on it or should i do this asap.
    only reason i consider waiting is the price, unfortunately i don't have the tools/workspace to do it on my own and this shit is way to expensive.
    Polar Silver 2018 CLA250 4MATIC, Premium 1 package, Illuminated Star, Turbokits BOV Spacer, 18' multi spoke wheels, (so far...)

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I put about 5,000 miles a year on my car, and have the oil changed every 6 months.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    Gonna piggyback and ask a dumb question, My car is telling me i'm due for service B now. i got my car with 9.9k miles and they had just done the first service on it

i've only put ~7.5k miles on it since last feb as i pretty much go to work and home, most days. (30ish miles round trip) round up to 18k miles total.

Can i wait a few weeks on that, since i haven't put the full 10k miles on it or should i do this asap. only reason i consider waiting is the price, unfortunately i don't have the tools/workspace to do it on my own and this shit is way to expensive.
    The service is, technically, 10k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. So since it has been a year, by the book you should do the service.

Now of course because you've put a relatively small number of miles on it, not even approaching 10k, you're fine to continue to push it a little. Honestly, waiting a few days or a couple weeks past your service date isn't the end of the world. (People do that all the time simply because many things in life are more important than having your car serviced!) But I wouldn't recommend waiting several weeks, for example, while continuing to drive. Nothing bad is going to happen now — but you're not doing your future self any favors, as it could lead to future problems if you make a habit of running past your service date.

As discussed around these forums, if you're concerned about the cost of the service I would recommend going to an independent shop rather than a dealership. Call around and get price quotes — they should be able to tell you exactly what it will cost. Best (cheapest) case scenario, find a shop that will let you bring your own parts (some do it, but simply won't warranty the work) — you can save quite a bit bringing your own parts. Also remember that you don't need to have a shop do a full "service B" — if you're tight on money at the moment, you don't need to pay a shop to do all of the basic visual checks on your car and do things like replace the wipers. The important parts are the engine oil, oil filter, engine air filter and brake fluid — get quotes for that. There's no downside to running the same wipers or cabin air filter for 2 years instead of 1; and just be smart about listening to your car and do some of your own visual inspections to make sure everything's OK under the hood and around the wheels.
    Last edited by martonikaj; 01-28-2019 at 10:54 PM.
    Shipwreck likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I like that answer, im going to have to call around to different shops in the next week.
    i figured i could wait, just like most cars and synthetic oil it lasts longer than advised, usually.

def not going to wait some crazy amount of time like a month, going to have it done within 2 weeks.
    my 1 year is technically in a few more weeks anyways, i got it back in mid-early feb.
    martonikaj likes this.
    Polar Silver 2018 CLA250 4MATIC, Premium 1 package, Illuminated Star, Turbokits BOV Spacer, 18' multi spoke wheels, (so far...)

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links