Oil Filter and Oil Change - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Oil Filter and Oil Change

This is a discussion on Oil Filter and Oil Change within the CLA Maintenance / Care / Detailing forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by vracer My God! A dipstick? How quaint? I haven't seen one of those on a Bimmer or Porsche for years. Funny, our ...

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Oil Filter and Oil Change

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vracer View Post
    My God! A dipstick? How quaint? I haven't seen one of those on a Bimmer or Porsche for years.
    Funny, our 2010 GLK350 has one. Of course it has an electronic readout too.
    Alex

2015 GLA 250 4MATIC, Polar Silver (Premium, Multi-Media, Driver Asst., Bi-Xenon)
    Traded-In: 2014 CLA 250, Polar Silver (Sport, Premium, Multi-Media, Driver Asst., Bi-Xenon, Spoiler)
    2010 GLK 350, Dark Blue

Gone but not forgotten:
    1970 Datsun 240Z

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think its a California thing to get pre-paid maint. lots of dealers out here advertise it. One of my chores as a kid was changing oil, bleeding brakes, checking fluids etc etc. So Ive always done my own maint. kept receipts never had issues with warranty. Some mfg require genuine OME filters, I think in the CLA book I read we recommend only using Benz parts, and if small print but if you dont it wont void the warranty. I think if more people knew how easy oil changes are more people would do it.

Id change oil for a lot of friends one car I had to remove the left front tire to get to the filter it was years ago, anyone remember what car it was?
    Last edited by Ventura_CLA; 12-20-2013 at 08:57 PM.
    MrProb likes this.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Another question; where is the battery located; is it in the trunk? Thanks for the oil filter info; it will be awhile before we have 10,000 miles. Thanks

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Our First Mercedes View Post
    Another question; where is the battery located; is it in the trunk? Thanks for the oil filter info; it will be awhile before we have 10,000 miles. Thanks
    The battery is in the big box to the right of the engine as you look at the engine bay from the front of the car.
    Jupiter Red
    Current Cars: Mercedes-Benz GLA45. Mercedes-Benz B250 Electric Drive, 2008 Honda Odyssey, 2008 Honda Fit, 2003 Honda Civic Si
    Previous Cars: Mercedes-Benz CLA250, Honda Civic Si, 2003 Honda Odyssey, 2001 Honda Accord, 1998 Honda Accord, 1997 Honda Odyssey, 1995 Honda Civic EX, 1992 Honda Civic LX, 1986 Honda Civic Si, 1979 VW Rabbit, 1975 Olds Delta 88, 1971 Saab 99, 1971 Olds Delta 88

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info. No more questions for now.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrProb View Post
    Do you think its worth pre-purchasing the maintenance ?
    Probably not. Its hard to tell if you'd get your money back compared with just paying when you get service. Of course, if you can get the dealer to give you a discount on the pre-paid when you're haggling over your car, then it could be a good deal.
    MrProb likes this.
    Alex

2015 GLA 250 4MATIC, Polar Silver (Premium, Multi-Media, Driver Asst., Bi-Xenon)
    Traded-In: 2014 CLA 250, Polar Silver (Sport, Premium, Multi-Media, Driver Asst., Bi-Xenon, Spoiler)
    2010 GLK 350, Dark Blue

Gone but not forgotten:
    1970 Datsun 240Z

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura_CLA View Post
    I think its a California thing to get pre-paid maint. lots of dealers out here advertise it. One of my chores as a kid was changing oil, bleeding brakes, checking fluids etc etc. So Ive always done my own maint. kept receipts never had issues with warranty. Some mfg require genuine OME filters, I think in the CLA book I read we recommend only using Benz parts, and if small print but if you dont it wont void the warranty. I think if more people knew how easy oil changes are more people would do it.

Id change oil for a lot of friends one car I had to remove the left front tire to get to the filter it was years ago, anyone remember what car it was?
    how long does it take you to change oil ? on CLA specfically.
    CLA250 : Cirrus White, Black MB-Tex, Sport pkg, Bi-Xenons, P01 pkg, Pano Roof, Becker's Map Pilot and Blind Spot Assist.

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventura_CLA View Post

Monte Carlo?

D.

Member #
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrProb View Post
    how long does it take you to change oil ? on CLA specfically.
    Mmm that's relative to personal skills...

I don't have a CLA, so I can't really tell you right now how long it would take me, I usually take my time and try to do it right and clean. My guess is 30 to 40 minutes .

So far removing the oil filter looks relatively easy,

Any body with a CLA could sneak under to check for the oil drain? Pictures please!

D.

Member #
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I am planning to change my oil (myself) in May at around 5,000 miles just to avoid having to do it in late fall which will be the 1-year point. I will probably do it when I have the car up for the changeover from my snows to the OEM tires. I will take some pics if anyone wants, or maybe post a video to u-tube. Exploring the underneath of the CLA you will find a cover under the engine that I haven't taken off yet. I did get a filter (with the o-ring set) and two washers for the drain plug from the dealer when I bought the car. Getting the CLA up is a bit of a hassle but I found "pucks" that fit in the recesses of the jack points on the lower body (front and rear) and I have two 2 1/2 ton hydraulic jacks that I use to raise the front end enough to get a proper large floor jack on what looks like a solid point below the firewall. The filter cover looks to have a torque spec printed on it. If not you can make a mark on the cover and base so you can match them up when you put it back. May need to to the same trick on the drain plug.

• Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links