Oil change cost - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Oil change cost

This is a discussion on Oil change cost within the CLA Maintenance / Care / Detailing forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; OR do it yourself when you feel like it and pocket the money. Originally Posted by outsider But do they give you a free loaner ...

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Oil change cost

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    OR do it yourself when you feel like it and pocket the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    But do they give you a free loaner car ?
    It helps me as I can drop my car off, pick up the loaner ( 2014 C250 or GLK ) and commute to work and can either come pick up the car in the evening ( open till 8pm ) or next morning.
    Expensive - absolutely. For Synthetic, my local Speedy Lube charges $80 + disposal fee + tax. Dealers charges $169 + tax for "A" service including documented tire & spare pressure check, car wash and interior vacuum.
    "B" service at 20k is where they get you. Same as "A" with a few more checks + fuel additive ( do it yourself for $10 ) - $349. They run coupons and that drops it to $249 + tax but you have to catch it. Usually in the winter months.
    The loaner is big because I need to get to work on time and they open at 7 am and I am out of there in 20 minutes.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What's the volume of the oil needed for the CLA250? I assume it's the same for the CLA45?

Does the CLA need a replaceable oil-filter insert that fits into a plastic filter-housing or it's a complete disposable oil-filter and housing all in one?
    • '94 NSX 6spd. | Berlina Black - Onyx
    • '02 MR-2 Spyder | Solar Yellow - Black
    • '03 911 Targa | Lapis Blue - Grey
    • '08 Accord LX-L | Polished Metal Metallic - Graphite
    • '14 CLA250 | Northern Lights Violet - Brown Nut [Summer-2014]

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do it yourself. MB couldn't make it any easier (other than using a normal filter vs. the goofy one they use) if you have an oil extractor...
    Traded-in at 8,500 miles: 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA 250

My poor experience is on the forum. Good riddance. MB's attempt for my generation: failed with me.

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does it affect the warranty if it's the DIY? I was under the impression you have to keep proof of any maintenance (receipts) but also it was done right so like a 3rd party garage at best if not dealer?

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    5.9 Quarts for the 250. Wallmart has a 5 quart container of the Moble 1 0-40 on sale for $27 and change so your gonna need 2. It won't go to waste ! The cartridge oil filter is only on sale at MB so far,
    Quote Originally Posted by osiris_x11 View Post
    What's the volume of the oil needed for the CLA250? I assume it's the same for the CLA45?

Does the CLA need a replaceable oil-filter insert that fits into a plastic filter-housing or it's a complete disposable oil-filter and housing all in one?

RSM
    Member #
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I paid 15 bucks for a filter which actually struck me as being somewhat reasonable. I thought the CLA 250 used 5-40? As for the spare tire check don't get me started. I would have to buy one first an d then find a place to put it!

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sirboom View Post
    Do it yourself. MB couldn't make it any easier (other than using a normal filter vs. the goofy one they use) if you have an oil extractor...
    Is the oil extractor the only practical way to remove the engine-oil on the CLA (ie. there's an under-tray or skid-plate protecting the oil-pan)?

Generally speaking, warming up the oil with a short-drive and then letting it gravity-drain out into an oil waste-bin is the best way to get the alloy filings/shavings and other sediment/debris out.

Quote Originally Posted by noreason View Post
    Does it affect the warranty if it's the DIY? I was under the impression you have to keep proof of any maintenance (receipts) but also it was done right so like a 3rd party garage at best if not dealer?
    You're protected via the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act to do your own scheduled maintenance/service, just properly document it. But, of-course the dealership wants you to patronize their service-center and at times leverage warranty eligibility against you.

Quote Originally Posted by paulteecars View Post
    5.9 Quarts for the 250. Wallmart has a 5 quart container of the Moble 1 0-40 on sale for $27 and change so your gonna need 2. It won't go to waste ! The cartridge oil filter is only on sale at MB so far,
    Surprisingly, the engine oil-filter cartridge (natural/cellulose media) doesn't seemingly fit in other MB models. Usually, there's a standard oil-filter cartridge across all models when it comes to the German manufacturers (VW, Porsche, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by RSM View Post
    I paid 15 bucks for a filter which actually struck me as being somewhat reasonable. I thought the CLA 250 used 5-40? As for the spare tire check don't get me started. I would have to buy one first an d then find a place to put it!
    Once there's enough CLAs on the road, the oil-filter cartridge will be $10'ish as-per other German oil-filter cartridges.

0w40 can be used in colder temperatures than 5w40, otherwise both are the same. The 2nd number (namely 40) is what you want to be concerned with, as that's the warmed-up operating-temperature oil-weight and "40" is recommended for this engine.

And FWIW, that's surprising to me, such a heavy-weight oil for such a small/econo engine! Whereas the high-revving Japanese 4-bangers are using 0w20/5w20, etc.
    Last edited by osiris_x11; 05-06-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    2katman2 and TUXEDO CAT like this.
    • '94 NSX 6spd. | Berlina Black - Onyx
    • '02 MR-2 Spyder | Solar Yellow - Black
    • '03 911 Targa | Lapis Blue - Grey
    • '08 Accord LX-L | Polished Metal Metallic - Graphite
    • '14 CLA250 | Northern Lights Violet - Brown Nut [Summer-2014]

Member #
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I love this forum - I learn new things all the time. I never heard of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act!

My first oil change is free - Mercedes of Austin is trying to placate me since my car has been there so often that everyone in service recognizes me!
    Follow me and sometimes my Jupiter Red CLA250 on Instagram

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TUXEDO CAT View Post
    I never heard of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act!
    you don't track my every post with bated breath? :-( (pouting)

https://www.mercedescla.org/forum/8-c...s-worth-2.html
    TUXEDO CAT likes this.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    No I don't, but you do make me laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by 2katman2 View Post
    you don't track my every post with bated breath? :-( (pouting)

https://www.mercedescla.org/forum/8-c...s-worth-2.html
    Follow me and sometimes my Jupiter Red CLA250 on Instagram

• Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links