Oil change cost - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Mercedes CLA Forum

Oil change cost

This is a discussion on Oil change cost within the CLA Maintenance / Care / Detailing forums, part of the Mercedes-Benz CLA Forum category; Originally Posted by TUXEDO CAT No I don't, but you do make me laugh! Well, that's something, anyway :-)...

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Oil change cost

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TUXEDO CAT View Post
    No I don't, but you do make me laugh!
    Well, that's something, anyway :-)
    TUXEDO CAT likes this.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Actually, it is worth a lot

Quote Originally Posted by 2katman2 View Post
    Well, that's something, anyway :-)
    Follow me and sometimes my Jupiter Red CLA250 on Instagram

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yes it does, it is on the display, and there is a service section in the menu so you can see how many miles until next service.
    Andy

MERC CAR History:

CLA45 AMG - 2014
    C 63 AMG - 2010
    C 55 AMG - 2004
    G 320 (Europa Gelandewagen Non AMG) - 2000
    GL 450 - 2012
    C 43 AMG - 2001
    C 230 Kompressor - 1999
    300 E - 1985

• Remove Advertisements
    MercedesCLA.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My CLA takes 6 quarts of Mobil 1, 0W40 motor oil. At $9.50 per bottle,that would be $57.00 for the oil alone.

Member #
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hello guys, I do all mine and yes best synthetic oil makes a long term difference.

The M stuff works well, as long as it meets the sheet and do they have DCT fluid also?

Yes, I do mine and best way is with extractor and Amsoil. Filter from Rockauto and change every 10-12k due to fuel dilution from Direct Injection get some P.I. to keep it going hard and no worries!
    Michael G.

Independent Amsoil Dealer - 800-956-5695 M-F 7am-7pm CST Referral #1339879

Savannah, GA

__________________________________________________ ______

2014 CLA250 White Sport, Prem 1, MultiM, and Amsoil

Member #
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    As justsynthetic.com suggests, in order to comply with the warranty, you only have to document that the recommended service was done.
    I took European Delivery and drove through four countries in my limited edition Universe Blue CLA 250.

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mobil 0-40

I recommend to buy the 5 Quart jug of 0-40 Mobile synthetic, instead of 5x 1 Quart bottles.
    You pay more than double.

I find the baselinte CLA250 takes about 1 jug with the new filter. Wait 10 minutes before checking
    the dipstick, otherwise you will end up overfilling

The 5 quart jug is $22-25 at Walmart. Sometimes the Local autozone have specials, a jug of Mobile 0-40 plus
    one high quality Mobile filter for $35.-ish. They usually do not have the Mann o r Mahle cartridge filter,
    so I just get one for one of my other cars.

I buy the Mann filter on Amazon, it is around $10. So the total net cost is ~$35. Takes about 20 minutes total, most of the time you just are just
    waiting for the extractor do do its thing, and for the oil to drain down into the pan ( once you think you sucked all the oll out,
    wait a few minutes and do it again. You have to do this 3-4 times, as long as there is a bit more oil that comes out.

Having a Vacuum extractor makes the job much easier. It does a great job of totally sucking out all the dirty oil.
    I checked if there is anything left after sucking the old oil out, if i undo the drain plug after I am done w the vacuum extract,
    and nothing drains out. I have a HF $100 compressor driven cast iron tank extractor, Stores
    6 Gallons (I think) of used oil. When it gets full, I just take it down to my local recycling center, and dump it out.

The big advantage of the extractor is that I do not have to remove the oil plug, (hence do not need to replace the plug's washer)
    I do not need to take off the skid plate, and I do not need to go under the car at all, i can change the oil in my Sunday best.

Need a low-torque wrench and a large socket for the oil filter cap. The filter comes with all 3 O-rings needed for the filter cap.

Mercedes started this racket of $200-$400 A and B service. They claim they do a lot more than just replace the oil. They usually give you a printout
    of a long list of unverifiable BS about all the checks and inspections they did to the car.
    If you are lucky, they may replace the CAF, the EAF, spark plugs when they are due, brake fluid, do tire rotation.

(Esp. at the $400 B service). none of this is worth the exorbitant money, you can do any of the above at a fraction of the cost if
    it needs to be done.

E.g.: I question the wisdom of replacing the high quality brake fluid unless there is some symptom or hygrometer measurement
    that suggests it needs to be done.
    (e.g.: the brakes soften and need to be pumped to firm up) I think the dot 4 Pentosyn or similar high quality
    fluid easily lasts 3-4 years, and continues to work just fine.

Now a lot of dealers started doing the same service racket,
    Hyundai specifically, it is a brilliant way of increasing dealer profits.

Coder

jmc
    Member #
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Regarding brake fluid
    The factory stuff was dot4 (at least) but maybe it was old stock or something as at 728 days post delivery my old school refractometer says it was out of band
    I used new pentosyn super dot4 and needed 2.2L to completely flush till the data was good (keep in mind every 0.0005 index change is roughly 1% water content)
    So far at 942 days post fluid change (with minimal brake use driving and ~12mm of original 2014 pads left) the pentosyn has started to move the needle past 1% ... so presuming 1~1.5L system volume thats 10~15mL of “moisture” ... and since my life (and especially any added occupants and hence the extra mass) could depend on that one instance where the fluid must not boil to save me (us) my upcoming chore will be another flush very soon. Better safe than reeeeeally sorry later is my playbook.
    3yrs would be about the limit to be safe ... benz suggests 2yrs ... to play it safer

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Benz service

I did the prepaid maintenance for the first 4 service. They sold me a package for $1000 ish.
    (Partly I was curious if this was really just a super-expensive set of oil changes).

They always gave me a free loaner when I came in for maintenance, Usually something nice, like a new c300.
    Given that they normally charge $150 a day for a loaner that could be viewed as a pretty nice bonus.
    OTOH I could just walk over to Enterprise Rental across the street and pick up a rental for $30
    a day, so there is that.

I have not tried maintenance on an out-of-pocket basis, I do not know if the free loaner would apply in
    that case. I have a feeling it would not. It is probably part of baiting the deer.

Perhaps some of you have a different sense of the time-hassle vs. money trade off than i do.
    I now plain old refuse to pay $200 for an oil change. I concluded this was just morally wrong,
    so I refuse to be taken advantage off.
    It is not time time or convenience, it is the principle of the thing.

It is at most a 20 minute job, and if done with a vacuum extractor,
    they do not even have to put the car up on a lift.
    They do not have to take off the skid plates, replace the drain plug washer etc..

I can change the oil myself for a total cost of $35, inside of 20 minutes.
    So I think a fair charge for an oil change (including oil and filter)
    would be $50-80 depending on the labor rate charged.

All the best.

Member #
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Hi JMC

Did you use the LV (low viscosity) Pentosyn or the cheaper plain one?
    They recommend the LV stuff for ABS, so I imagine it works better.
    But other synthetic brake fluids do not make such distinction.

I bought the non-LV Pentosyn, I have 2 unopened quarts, not sure if I should use it or just
    get the LV. Any recommendations on a tool to measure the water content of the Brake fluid?

Thoughts?

• Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links